Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for CD-Wow order?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 07:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of taking advantage of CD-Wow's offer of free shipping and was wondering if anyone could suggest anything R2 that wouldn't be available in the US (or is a better version).

So far, I'm thinking of getting:

*Trainspotting 2-Disc SE
*28 Days Later

Also, where do they ship from? Are they a UK or HK company? I like some of their prices. Anyway....

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HK company. Quite reliable.

If you're into english TV shows, I reccomend The HIgh Life, I'm Alan Partridge and Pheonix Nights, all of which I got from there.

The director's cut of Betty Blue? Got from CDWow.

Honk Kong Legends' Anamorphic The Killer.

Looking for a good, cheap film? Scum.

I don't know how much the Trainspotting SE is at CDwow right now, but Amazon.co.uk has it for 14.99 GBP, and they take off for VAT...
Old 06-14-03, 11:37 PM

Predator (2-disc, great features) and Robocop (anamorphic directors cut) are much better versions in R2.
Old 06-14-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if you are a fan, but I picked up James - "Getting Away With It Live" and it is a great concert...
Old 06-15-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since they have free shipping, there is no reason not to order each title seperately. THey ship them seperately even if you don;t.
Old 06-15-03, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks a lot for the replies so far! I just saw another thread in this forum where they have HKL discs as well. Much obliged!
Old 06-15-03, 02:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

There is an affiliate link at the top of the page that benefits DVDTalk.com.

Please note that that link relates to the "UK" part of the store where R2 DVDs tend to predominate.

CD-Wow.net is the US variant where they seem to stock mostly R1 DVDs.

As someone else mentioned in an earlier thread, Cd-Wow.com.hk/ is the Hong Kong branch. You may need to use an online currency converter to check what you will be paying in local currency.

My CD-Wow experience is (shock horror) with CDs: they can be shipped from all over, including Hong Kong. My one DVD purchase from them so far I think came from Sweden.
Old 06-15-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by benedict
Please note that that link relates to the "UK" part of the store where R2 DVDs tend to predominate.

CD-Wow.net is the US variant where they seem to stock mostly R1 DVDs.
Interesting. I was under the impression that the inventory was the same for both stores and that US people were better of ordering from the non-UK site (because of currency conversions fees charged by Visa and MC).
Old 06-16-03, 11:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

I cannot say what the ratio of US-based to non US-based DVD purchasers we have reading this forum but, clearly, if/when patronising CD-Wow, people should order from whichever of the three sites best suits their wallet and their aspirations: I would never suggest otherwise.

FWIW I can certainly recall having ordered CDs from the US "outlet" on occasion because the net exchange rate (after credit card conversion) and, more importantly, the base prices charged made it worth my while. One might imagine that this may, on occasion, happen in reverse.

My personal experience of having perused the three sites (mostly the US and UK ones) had been that the inventory displayed tended to mirror the DVD Region one might expect: the CD charts certainly used to relate respectively to the US and the UK although, having just checked, this no longer seems to be the case.

As far as I can work CD-Wow is almost a virtual company: there is a UK address and they use a variety of suppliers to supply each "outlet".

Caveat Emptor!