Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Onkyo TX-DS575 & PS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onkyo TX-DS575 & PS2

I have hooked up my PS2 to my Onkyo TX-DS575 receiver using an optical toslink cable and it will show that it is playing "PCM Digital" audio when I play a DVD, but it will never play in DD 5.1 or DTS mode (the DD 5.1 light never goes on).

I do not know what the problem is. I have all the speakers set up correctly with my receiver, I have the correct input channel setup to use optical in digital mode and I changed the PS2's settings to use optical in the PS2 menu thing. And I am of course playing movies with DD 5.1 (Willow and Matrix).

What is wrong?

Last edited by Rubix; 06-14-03 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-14-03, 08:06 PM

for ps2 games most games are not dd5.1 and dts thats why its not coming up, if you have one that does support 5.1 then i dont know but try grand theif auto vice city its got DTS and ssx
Old 06-14-03, 08:38 PM

Yeah actually I just figured it out. The PS2 is really weird for leaving all the sound settings off by default.

First you gotta start up the PS2 with no game or movie running and go to the settings and turn on optical ouput. Now you will get digital sound, but not DD or DTS. Then you have to play a DVD movie and while it is playing press the "select" button on the PS2 remote. It'll pop up a list of little onscreen icons and you have to select the one that looks like a briefcase and press "enter". Now it'll take you to a settings screen (for DVD movies), and you have to go right a couple of times to the audio settings. There you can turn on both DD and DTS in this menu.

Now everything will work if you have the PS2 and receiver set up correctly. Man that was a pain. My real DVD player will be arriving on Monday anyway, but it's good to get this working anyway I guess.

For games I think DD and DTS are on by default if the game supports it, but for movie it's apparently off until you do the above things. I see no reason why Sony did this.

Last edited by Rubix; 06-14-03 at 08:42 PM.