Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I have something nice to say about the Grateful Dead

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, actually Mickey Hart. Many times in these threads I've let known my dislike of jam rock. The Dead is enemy number one.
While I can't ever see myself wanting to see them again or buy any of their music, I gotta say that Mickey Hart is an incredibly nice person.

Last night we interviewed him on Headline News and of all the guests we've had on the air over the past few years I've never seen anyone as nice as him. He could be a royal jerk if he wanted... he has nothing to prove, but he was simply a really really cool person. If you are a fan of these guys, take pleasure in that aspect as well.
Old 06-14-03, 10:16 AM
Banned

But the Dead still sucks.
Old 06-14-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Mickey Hart does a lot of work in the field of music preservation. That can only be a in my book.

As for The Dead (as they call themselves now) they allow people to tape their shows. Another big from me.
Old 06-14-03, 04:54 PM
mwj

I can't stand their music but I have seen Mickey Hart interviewed and he seemed pretty cool.
Old 06-14-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that I don't respect your right to voice your opinions- but why do people feel the need to trash jam bands?

I just don't get it. Unlike rap, pop and every other type of music that is played over and over and over again on radio and music television stations, this type of music is not anywhere near mainstream America. So, if you don't choose to listen to a String Cheese Incident or Grateful Dead CD, and if you steer clear of their concerts- you will never be exposed to them.
Old 06-15-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tommy, not entirely true. The reasons I don't like them is for the same reasons I'm SICK of thug rap. It's because I DO get exposed to it and don't like it. Here in Atlanta we have Music Midtown and it's a 3-day festival of varying music. The variety is cool, but when I get near the jam crowd it just turns me off. And I've had roomates that were into that stuff and it's ALL they listened to. I've also seen the Dead because I went with a girlfriend who was into them and I just thought the whole atmosphere (including the music) was awful. And I love 60's/70's rock music. But I tend to be into stuff like "96 Tears" instead of Jeff Beck.

Of course, I favor alternative music and there's something about that peace, love & drugs vibe that just doesn't do it for me.

That's only part of the reason.
Old 06-15-03, 10:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I had never really heard of The Grateful Dead before I started dating a roadie. He managed to get a gig with the group and where ever my boyfriend went, I tended to follow. I was very standoffish at first and spent lots of time at the hotels. My boyfriend said that half the experience was going to the concerts and mingling with the people. (I actually believe he called them "the zoo") I was intrigued and so I went to check out the people. It was like going to a flea market but much cooler. Everyone was so nice and so neat to talk to. I went to the concert that night and it was also very cool.....even if I didn't think I would like it! I kept going to the concerts from there on. The band was always cool.....it was the undercover cops and security that weren't! I do not mean this just for the drugs, but even with backstage passes, they still always gave me grief! As mentioned, by another poster, the Grateful Dead let you record from their sound board. That is very cool. I don't know any other bands that are that nice.

Christina
Old 06-15-03, 04:19 PM
mwj

Not that I don't respect your right to voice your opinions- but why do people feel the need to trash jam bands?
I just don't get it. Unlike rap, pop and every other type of music that is played over and over and over again on radio and music television stations, this type of music is not anywhere near mainstream America. So, if you don't choose to listen to a String Cheese Incident or Grateful Dead CD, and if you steer clear of their concerts- you will never be exposed to them.
For me it's simple, several people at my previous workplace loved the Grateful Dead and I did not. They played it all the time. Just because something is not played on the radio doesn't mean it's easy to avoid.
Old 06-15-03, 05:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think "Box Of Rain" is a good song. There, I've said it.
Old 06-15-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wendersfan... funny. You know... I actually like "Truckin'" and the song "Wharf Rat" performed by Midnight Oil is awesome. I'm sure I might like some other Dead songs, but not most of what I've heard.