Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any reviews/news related articles on Pirates Of The Carribbean?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little scared of this flick since JB is producing. Not a fan of his stuff. But I love Johnny and I'll check out any flick with him. Geofrey Rush is great and Orlando Bloom has been impressive, and I loved the Ring(Verbinski) - so the scale is tipped in my favor for loving this movie.

But JB... really, really scares me.
Old 06-12-03, 11:19 AM

I totally agree. I was pretty interested when I saw a piece on the film on one of those preview DVDs you sometimes get with your popcorn at a movie, but as soon as Bruckheimer's name went across, I lost my appetite. I may have to break tradition and see this in the theaters though, for all the reasons you mentioned.
Old 06-12-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems kind of ridiculous to avoid a movie because of it's producer. Not sure I've ever heard that one before.
Old 06-12-03, 12:33 PM

It's hardly ridiculous in the case of Bruckheimer, who often puts more of a distinctive stamp on the movies he produces than the director does.
Old 06-12-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is interesting that when Bruckheimer has his name attached to a good movie, you don't hear peep about him...but when it's a bad movie, it's all his fault.

I've read a lot of praise on this board about Black Hawk Down - but nobody ever mentions that Bruckheimer produced that...yet, when something like Pearl Harbor comes along - jump on the bandwagon - it's time to bash the guy! All his fault.

I guess it's just become one of the trendy things to do - like writing Luca$ or Di$ney.
Old 06-12-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ToddSm66
It is interesting that when Bruckheimer has his name attached to a good movie, you don't hear peep about him...but when it's a bad movie, it's all his fault.

I've read a lot of praise on this board about Black Hawk Down - but nobody ever mentions that Bruckheimer produced that...yet, when something like Pearl Harbor comes along - jump on the bandwagon - it's time to bash the guy! All his fault.

I guess it's just become one of the trendy things to do - like writing Luca$ or Di$ney.
Old 06-12-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not true. Pearl Harbour got most of it's nega-praise heaped onto Michael Bay and the pathetic script. I'm not saying that Jerry Bruck isn't often unfairly condemned, though. He's made some good ones.

I remember his name coming up in conversation over that film a LOT, and as far as I can tell, Ridley Scott just wasn't as influenced by Big Jerry as Michael Bay is.

That's trendy, eh?

"Bru˘khŁim€r"
Old 06-12-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by morf
Dissing a movie before you've seen it. Intelligent.
I didn't realize anyone had 'dissed' it yet. Personally, I'm looking forward to it, in no small part due to Keira Knightley's presence.
Old 06-12-03, 02:27 PM

Well, I thought that BHD was great eye candy and that's it. Knowing it came from JB made sense to me. I mean, if you can't tell JB slo-mo from John Woo slo-mo what can you tell?

It's been a while since we've seen a good pirate movie, so we have to give it the benefit of doubt.
Old 06-12-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
[old joke] I heard this movie was rated RRRRRRRR [/old joke]
Old 06-13-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
best joke ever Anyway, looking forward to it and waiting for some early reviews on it.
Old 06-13-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
[old joke] I heard this movie was rated RRRRRRRR [/old joke]

And do you know why it's rated RRRRR?

Spoiler:
Because of all the booty!
Old 06-24-03, 12:59 PM

ain't it cool has early reviews today. pretty much what i was expecting: fun summer movie.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15529
Old 06-24-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's good to see those reviews coming in. I'm getting really excited about this movie. Johnny's doing a suprisingly high amount of press for this movie. In the past week I've seen him on E!, Letterman, Extra, and 20/20. I think that's more in seven days than the last seven years.
Old 06-26-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine read the script and said it was really good. He expects the movie to be pretty good.

And this is from a guy that reads scripts for work all the time...
Old 07-08-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Saw this at a sneak peak last night and I thought it was a good popcorn movie. While I found the ending very JBish, I enjoyed it.

On a interesting note as we entered the theater they searched bags and ran metal detectors over everyone, and they had a guy with Night Vision Goggles look at the audiance during the movie. My friend I got the ticket from goes to this theater for sneak peaks about 1-3 times a week and this is the first time they have ever done any of these security precautions before.
Old 07-08-03, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
Saw this at a sneak peak last night and I thought it was a good popcorn movie. While I found the ending very JBish, I enjoyed it.

On a interesting note as we entered the theater they searched bags and ran metal detectors over everyone, and they had a guy with Night Vision Goggles look at the audiance during the movie. My friend I got the ticket from goes to this theater for sneak peaks about 1-3 times a week and this is the first time they have ever done any of these security precautions before.
video pirating - how appropriate
Old 07-08-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some early reviews look promising:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Pira...Pearl-1123873/

75% as of 7/8/03 11:41am PDST

UPDATE

WOW! As of this second, it's up to 91%!

Last edited by DodgingCars; 07-08-03 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I wonder if they ever play the pirate song that you hear on the ride? YOu know...

"Yo ho! Yo ho! Pirates' life for me!"
Old 07-08-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I wonder if they ever play the pirate song that you hear on the ride? YOu know...

"Yo ho! Yo ho! Pirates' life for me!"
Or, in my former co-worker's words, "You're a ho, you're a ho..."

I'm sure it'll be in there somewhere.
Old 07-08-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Here's a positive review from The Onion:

Pirates Of The Caribbean:
Curse Of The Black Pearl

With hobbits and superheroes now dominating the public imagination, could it be that all of yesteryear's heroes will soon have their moment in the spotlight? It might be early to start plotting a comeback for Doc Savage: The Man Of Bronze, but Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl makes a good case for bringing back a genre that's been mostly neglected for a couple of decades. Maybe the blame belongs to 1982's The Pirate Movie, a disastrous one-time HBO staple in which Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins lip-sync soft-rock love songs and mangle The Pirates Of Penzance. Maybe not, but Pirates Of The Caribbean comes swinging back as if such offenses had never taken place and only advances in special effects stood between it and Errol Flynn. Keira Knightley plays a free-spirited daughter of colonial governor Jonathan Pryce, whose success at ridding his island port of uncivilized elements doesn't stop her from dreaming of pirates, or the castaway she helped rescue from a pirate ship as a young child. He grew up to be Lord Of The Rings' Orlando Bloom, a blacksmith who has learned to brandish swords with the same skillfulness he uses to forge them. Both Knightley and Bloom make for appealing leads, but Johnny Depp, sporting the best facial hair since Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs Of New York, easily steals the film as the colorfully named Captain Jack Sparrow, a down-on-his-luck pirate introduced posing majestically on a dilapidated dinghy. Flouncing, bugging his eyes, and speaking in an indescribable accent when not engaging in feats of derring-do, he finds a balance between the comic and the heroic perfectly aligned with a script written in part by the Shrek team of Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. Similarly, The Ring director Gore Verbinski knows when to break out the stunning action sequences and when to let his characters dominate the film, and he handles both modes expertly. In a rare bit of successful corporate synergy, Verbinski even finds a way to incorporate gags from the Disney theme-park ride that lends the film its name, and he keeps the proceedings fun once Depp, Knightley, and Bloom get drawn into a special-effects-heavy plot involving cursed gold and ghostly pirates captained by a perfectly over-the-top Geoffrey Rush. Rush even has a monkey sidekick (the traditional parrot belongs to someone else) and says "Arrr!" without a hint of self-consciousness. Pirates Of The Caribbean is that sort of movie, and though no one seemed to be clamoring for pirate adventures, it still seems long overdue. —Keith Phipps