Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting a new PS2, need advice - where to buy?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Getting a new PS2, need advice - where to buy?

Old 06-11-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Getting a new PS2, need advice

Okay, I got rid of my old PS2, and I am ready to get a new one. Or a refurbished one, whatever, the point is, I am going to get another one, lol.

Now, who has the best deals (ie free items with purchase, or whatnot) on the system?

Oh, and please don't tell me to "save my money and buy an X-box/Gamecube" because I already have PS2 games, and as far as I know, they aint compatible with an X-box

I was checking out Gamestop's ad, and they have a special where you buy a new PS2, and get a free used game worth $19.99 or less. Not bad. The online deals have a free game with a refurbished one too. Some of the games are like GTA VC, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, etc. A question for any Gamestop employees out there: Do they honor this deal at the stores too, or is it an online only thing? Another question: When you sign up for the magazine subscription and get the 10% off card, can you use it right then and there? Is it only good on used stuff or on new stuff too?

I really want a new one, but refurbished is cheaper by about $30. Has anyone had any bad experiences with refurbed models?
I know they have the 7 day thing where you can take it back, but I'd be afraid it'd break after that. I did own a refurbed DC and a refurbed N64 for awhile, and those worked fine, so that's worth pointing out.

Ebay is out of the picture also. I might find a good deal there, but you never know what could be wrong with one, lol. I would have eBay'ed my old PS2, but it was going bad so I just gave it to my friend who thinks he can fix it. More power to him if he can.

Anyhow, I am open to suggestions. Hopefully there are some good deals out there I am not aware of.
Old 06-11-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
If you have an fye store nearby, they're running a promotion that ends this week to get an Xbox or PS2 for 149 (basically 179 with a 30 mail in rebate). I think it comes with a free game, but the free game choice isn't that great.

My PS2 looks to be dying too, so I'm interested in any better deals out there.
Old 06-11-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just read about the MSN wallet deal. I guess you go through certain retailers (For PS2 related stuff, Ebgames, CC, and K-Mart are included on the list) and you get 20% of what you spend back, for a max reward of $100. They allow you to use the reward in August. So a $200 plus tax for say another 15 bucks, (yes they include tax in rewards too) that'd get you about $43 in rewards. Not bad at all.

I might go that route. CC allows you to pick up the item right away if you order online. That way I can avoid shipping. I just wish they had some sort of freebie included. Does CC allow you to bring your receipt back and make adjustments? Like say next week, they offer a free DVD remote or something with the PS2. Can I go back and say "Hey, I bought this last week, and it came with zip" or would I be out of luck?
Old 06-11-03, 09:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Gamestop card is not good on new merchandise. It is only good on used merchandise, and I think only used games (and maybe DVDs). I don't think you can use it on systems.

I could probably get you a PS2 + controller + memory card for $135 shipped or so. I'm checking on its condition right now. If you don't want the controller, I'd take it off your hands and make the deal cheaper.
Old 06-11-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
The Gamestop card is not good on new merchandise. It is only good on used merchandise, and I think only used games (and maybe DVDs). I don't think you can use it on systems.

I could probably get you a PS2 + controller + memory card for $135 shipped or so. I'm checking on its condition right now. If you don't want the controller, I'd take it off your hands and make the deal cheaper.
Who is selling, what store? I dunno if I'd buy a used one unless it was from a known store like Gamestop or EB.
Old 06-11-03, 10:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, it's someone on another forum. I'll try to get some references of good seller-ship from him.
Old 06-11-03, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nickdawgy
I just read about the MSN wallet deal. I guess you go through certain retailers (For PS2 related stuff, Ebgames, CC, and K-Mart are included on the list) and you get 20% of what you spend back, for a max reward of $100. They allow you to use the reward in August. So a $200 plus tax for say another 15 bucks, (yes they include tax in rewards too) that'd get you about $43 in rewards. Not bad at all.

I might go that route. CC allows you to pick up the item right away if you order online. That way I can avoid shipping. I just wish they had some sort of freebie included. Does CC allow you to bring your receipt back and make adjustments? Like say next week, they offer a free DVD remote or something with the PS2. Can I go back and say "Hey, I bought this last week, and it came with zip" or would I be out of luck?
I did this exact same thing back in November through Circuit City. I got forty something back this past June. Maybe you can pricematch Circuit City with a competitor and get a free game or controller. Worth a shot, good luck. Here's the post:

I just got a great deal. Here it is:

CompUsa has a PS2 bundle with the new X-men game. You get the PS2 at 149.99 plus the price of the game. Comes out to be 200.00 with tax. The sale is from 12/19- 12/21.

I signed up with msn wallet to get 20% back on all purchases through the 22nd of December. I bought the PS2 through the Circuit City site(msn merchant site) with in store pick-up.

I went CC during lunch. I took the CompUSA ad the counter and told them I wanted to price match with CompUSA ad, no problem. I asked if I could exchange X-men with a different game. The guy at the counter said sure go ahead. I picked up GTA:Vice City. It came out to be around 211.00 with the game.

So, with the 20% back from msn it will end up costing around 170.00. Not a bad price for a PS2 with a game. Merry Christmas to me!!!

Last edited by rgarcia; 06-11-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
Actually, it's someone on another forum. I'll try to get some references of good seller-ship from him.
I appreciate the effort, bro, but tell him nevermind. I'd rather pay 10 more for a refurbed with a free game at Gamestop, and know I can easily take it back if need be.

Thanks anyway