Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last Comic Standing

This show is just horrible. I think that we got more shots of the "special judges" Joe Rogan, Monique, Buddy Hackett, and host Jay Mohr fake laughing than the actual comedians. Maybe it will be better when it gets to the finals.
Old 06-10-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a couple of them so far have been funny.
Old 06-10-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not impressed so far, seems like they are cutting way too much out.
Old 06-10-03, 08:34 PM

yeah, I'd rather see more "full acts" because I'm a big stand up fan.
But I'm sure we'll get that as they establish the show.
I just found out about the show 10 minutes into it tonight.

I like Ralphie(the big guy), I've seen him a couple times in various comedy clubs in Las Vegas and maybe NYC (don't remember).
He has a good act.
Old 06-10-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah they are cutting alot out, but that is probably because NBC only greenlighted it for 8 episodes. Ralphie May is awesome. I remember seeing him on Jimmy Kimmel and he was great there too. He has to make it in.
Old 06-10-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next hosts are Collin Quinn, Joy Behar, and Caroline Rhea. I guess that everything has to be G rated as well...
Old 06-10-03, 08:44 PM

you can basically tell who they are taking, based on the "profiles" vs. some getting 2 second face time.
Old 06-10-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

question about the 2nd segment.. Why was Rich Vos on? He has already had a Comedy Central special , a pilot Tv show and is quite a bit of decent sized name himself.. he has been on Colin & Joy's show also.. kind of wierd
Old 06-10-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw the first hour. I didn't know it was two hours.

I liked it, but was very surprised some of the people they let through over others. For example, the woman with the spikey hair, the jewish woman and the black guy talking about how he likes women who can move a couch... huh? there were others much better then them, and it seemed to me that the judges thought the same when they were watching.

I was most impressed with the former teacher. His joke about the Gorilla and Football made me laugh for some reason. The gay guy wont last for much longer, his jokes are very "obvious" which is why they had all been heard before. The guy from Vietnam, talking for like five minutes about his childhood was VERY off the wall. It reminded me off Lady Tiger or whatever her name was on American Idol... how they just went off on some tangant with it. He was pretty funny though when he got into it, even though I didn't find it funny at first. Same with the guy in the cowboy hat... at first I was thinking how lame it was he was doing the old Alabama/Evolution jokes... but then he actually started to make me laugh. The fat guy was pretty good with his Jack in the Box bit, but I'm curious to see if he's a one trick pony.

Notice how I just talked like I was a total nazi? the jewish woman, the black guy, the gay guy. lol, don't kill me, I don't know their names is all.
Old 06-10-03, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
I saw the first hour. I didn't know it was two hours.

I liked it, but was very surprised some of the people they let through over others. For example, the woman with the spikey hair, the jewish woman and the black guy talking about how he likes women who can move a couch... huh? there were others much better then them, and it seemed to me that the judges thought the same when they were watching.

I was most impressed with the former teacher. His joke about the Gorilla and Football made me laugh for some reason. The gay guy wont last for much longer, his jokes are very "obvious" which is why they had all been heard before. The guy from Vietnam, talking for like five minutes about his childhood was VERY off the wall. It reminded me off Lady Tiger or whatever her name was on American Idol... how they just went off on some tangant with it. He was pretty funny though when he got into it, even though I didn't find it funny at first. Same with the guy in the cowboy hat... at first I was thinking how lame it was he was doing the old Alabama/Evolution jokes... but then he actually started to make me laugh. The fat guy was pretty good with his Jack in the Box bit, but I'm curious to see if he's a one trick pony.

Notice how I just talked like I was a total nazi? the jewish woman, the black guy, the gay guy. lol, don't kill me, I don't know their names is all.
trust me Ralphie May is no one trick pony! He has some good bits.

Yeah I didn't care for the black guy they took or the spikey hair lady.

I thought the geeky looking girl with the "straight stone" delivery about sex was better.
And also the guy with the Stair Way to Heaven joke, it was a good delivery and had a good comeback.
Old 06-10-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Rich Vos' name sounded familiar. I must've seen commercials for his Comedy Central special.

Overall, I think the show was OK but I agree that they should have showed less comedians, and more of the acts of the others. 30 seconds out of 3 minutes isn't a lot. I was surprised the spiky hair lady made it. Her "act" (at least what they showed of it) was disgusting.

For example, the woman with the spikey hair, the jewish woman and the black guy talking about how he likes women who can move a couch... huh? there were others much better then them, and it seemed to me that the judges thought the same when they were watching.
I noticed a disclaimer during the end credits that said something to the effect that the selected comedians were chosen by the judges, in conjunction with NBC, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the people who were chosen were chosen by the network to get some more ethnicity in the finals, and ultimately, the house.
Old 06-10-03, 10:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I liked it, but I felt the bits should have been longer. I was there for the comedy but the editing left it choppy. Jmo.

Christina
Old 06-10-03, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Coupon_Queen
I liked it, but I felt the bits should have been longer. I was there for the comedy but the editing left it choppy. Jmo.

Christina
yeah I felt the same way and this was after the first hour.
Then I saw they were taking 10 more from NY. OUCH.
I want it to get down to a few so we can see more of the COMEDY.
And I hope they keep the "real world" house relationship part of the show to a minimum, which I KNOW they won't.
Old 06-10-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I thought it was alright. I hoped that they would show more of the act as the minute they did show for each person was too short. and yes, you could tell who they were going to keep by the profiles.
Old 06-11-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i was looking forward to this after laughing my ass off seeing the preview like 3 times before movies...man those musta been the best jokes or something cuz this show isnt funny. they cut too much out and the judges are lame.

only 2 or 3 were funny.

i loved the "9.......5-5" joke and the "i know what you all are thinking...damn she gets to eat and she sexy too" LOL

but i think that was only during the movie commercial thingy.
Old 06-11-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed it. Yeah, they cut a bunch out, but we'll be seeing these people over and over, so I don't mind. It would have been nice to see complete acts, but it's understandable why it was edited that way. It was weird seeing a bunch of comedians I was already familiar with, especially Rich Vos. What the hell's he doing there? His dinner table was a who's who of Comedy Central too, with Norton and Robinson and that other guy whose name I can't remember.

I like how they inserted 10 seconds of overdub for Joe Rogan's introduction -- no doubt that came from NBC's promo department. He also came off like a complete dick. "It was in Boiler Room!!!!"

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I do hope we get some complete sets instead of all the choppy editing. I guess with only 8 eps, that's unlikely to happen for a while.

das
Old 06-11-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
that Rich Vos guy should absolutely NOT be on this show....aside from the fact that he completely sucks and is not remotely funny, there's the whole thing that he's on Colin Quinn's show three nights a week already.....and to have him audition in the segment where Colin is a judge was just stupid. He is total Suck.
Old 06-11-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
Next hosts are Collin Quinn, Joy Behar, and Caroline Rhea. I guess that everything has to be G rated as well...
Should these 3 horribly unfunny people be judging comedic talent?
Old 06-11-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. Who's next, Carrot Top?
Old 06-11-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
Should these 3 horribly unfunny people be judging comedic talent?
Should you? I happen to think Caroline Rhea is hysterical. Not so much on her talk show, but her stand-up act is.
Old 06-11-03, 08:34 PM

I just got done watching the movie Old School and I noticed that Ed Pepitone was in it. I happened to catch his name in the credits. I think he was on the second Last Comic Standing...

Eddie Pepitone at IMDB
Old 06-12-03, 01:55 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how much better the second hour was. Ralphie May was the only guy who made me laugh in the first hour, but just about everybody in the second hour was at least a little funny. That first hour was some of the worst stand-up comedy I've ever seen.

Even with how much better NY was, Ralphie May was definitely my favorite of the night.
Old 06-12-03, 03:31 PM

nny,

Actually I'm just the opposite, I thought the first hour was funy, whereas the second hour I thought only 1 or 2 were slightly funny. I do agree that Ralphie May was the funniest of the ones shown, lets hope he is more then a one trick pony.

Even though it would hurt to sit through some bad comedy I would like it if Comedy Central went ahead and showed all of the Comic's full 3 minutes and the the judges reactions. Maybe they could cut each coast into 3 different shows and show it late at night. I was hoping for some American Idol type stuff where they show a few Comics falling flat on their face.
Old 06-12-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Kiljin
nny,

Actually I'm just the opposite, I thought the first hour was funy, whereas the second hour I thought only 1 or 2 were slightly funny. I do agree that Ralphie May was the funniest of the ones shown, lets hope he is more then a one trick pony.

Even though it would hurt to sit through some bad comedy I would like it if Comedy Central went ahead and showed all of the Comic's full 3 minutes and the the judges reactions. Maybe they could cut each coast into 3 different shows and show it late at night. I was hoping for some American Idol type stuff where they show a few Comics falling flat on their face.
I agree the show could have been better.
But I still like it.

I also agree, I liked the first hour overall better too.
I didn't watch the second hour untill today. But I wasn't impressed.
I liked a couple of them (and same for the 1st hour too) like Eddie.
I just wish I had more of their act to "get into it".
Old 06-12-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
First hours was IMO funnier than the second. I also think they should either show more of the comics (have fewer comics) or show more outtake from people that tried out and were not funny (that would be Funny). Anyway, this is not Real World. Why in the world do I need to see them live in a house together - 20 people? Come on.

Lastly, the blond girl with the spikey chicken hair. NOT funny.
I didn't think Ralphie was that funny. He was just doing a black gangsta impersonation. so what. Anyway, I will watch cos I think Jay Mohr is a funny guy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.