Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Terrible video game attention span

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Terrible video game attention span

I have the worst attention span when it comes to video games. It sucks! I envy all of you who can sit down and play a game for even 2 hours straight. I can play any particular game for maybe 30 minutes max and then I'm tapped.

I LOVE Splinter Cell but once I beat a mission I'm done with it for the day. Same with Halo. I play that game for like 15 minutes, then I have to go do something else. I haven't beaten either yet and I've had Halo for almost a year and Splinter Cell for like 6 months.

I just got a PS2 and bought GTA3 and can't even play that for more than a half hour at a time!

Just had to get that off my chest. I hate it. Are there any support groups for this?
Old 06-10-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
bummer, well at least you can say you're not addicted
Old 06-10-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to pick up a copy of Wario Ware for the GBA....
Old 06-10-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by drmoze
You need to pick up a copy of Wario Ware for the GBA....
gaming in small doses.... It's an ADHD gamers wet dream!
Old 06-10-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Terrible video game attention span

Originally posted by Trelach24
I have the worst attention span when it comes to video games. It sucks! I envy all of you who can sit down and play a game for even 2 hours straight. I can play any particular game for maybe 30 minutes max and then I'm tapped.

I LOVE Splinter Cell but once I beat a mission I'm done with it for the day. Same with Halo. I play that game for like 15 minutes, then I have to go do something else. I haven't beaten either yet and I've had Halo for almost a year and Splinter Cell for like 6 months.

I just got a PS2 and bought GTA3 and can't even play that for more than a half hour at a time!

Just had to get that off my chest. I hate it. Are there any support groups for this?
Wow. I thought I was the only one. I am the same EXACT way - have been since I first played video games, back in '81 with the 2600.

The funny thing is that I am the oposite of this when it comes to movies - I can sit through a 3 hour Tarakovsky film without even fidgeting.
Old 06-10-03, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the same way. I can't play a game for a long time either. Especially the ones where you get stuck some place and it takes you several tries to get through. I have no patience for that. I did get hooked on the Matrix game where I could play for about two hours straight but as soon as I got stuck, I had to walk away. There are so many games I haven't finished because of the lack of patience for them. Matrix is only the third game I have finished. I think the main reason I love sports games is because there really isn't anything to finish but the game you're currently on.
Old 06-10-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

same here, but when I come across the rare game that keeps me glued to the seat, you know its gonna be a classic.
Old 06-10-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am the same way, but it started with this generation of systems. I used to be able to sit down with a PSX role playing game for hours. Now a can't count on my fingers & toes how many games I have played the first level of then never touched again (they are all still sitting in my closet BTW). It seems the only thing that can really hold my attention these days are sports games.
Old 06-10-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm almost afraid to play video games anymore because once I sit down it can be 5 hours before I even think of stopping to do something else.
When theGameBoy first came out I played that thing all the time. I'd buy a game, pop it in with a fresh charge on my batteries and I'd play till I beat the game.

I'm off the next two days so I'm about ready to pop in RTCW and "waste" the next 7-8 hours.
Old 06-10-03, 11:51 PM

Same here, I dont have any patience for games anymore. And like somebody else said, it all started with this generation of systems. The past few months, since there have been so many great deals on games, I bought a lot more than I usually do, and the only one I have beaten is Amplitude, everything else is either near the end, or 15 minutes into it. The ones I am at the end is because I have had them for almost a year.
Old 06-11-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have much patience when it comes to consoles.

With PC games, I'm always losing track of time.
Old 06-11-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find I'll play the hell out of something for two weeks, then I uninstal it and just leave it alone for about a year... unless there is a great story behind it... then I can play forever.
Old 06-11-03, 11:44 AM

My wife wishes I had a short attention span for games.
Old 06-11-03, 11:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I tend to lose patience with games if I get to a point that I can't immediately get through and have to try again and again. If the game is so linear that this becomes a bottleneck for continuing, I'll set the game aside.
Old 06-11-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have horrible attention span too. I have the bad habit of playing a game for a day or two when I get it, then never touching it again. I recently resolved to start finishing games once I start them instead of moving on to something else. The only game I actually finished in the last 3 years was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. After I made my vow for completion, I was able to start and finish Metroid Prime without interruption, however it took me a month to do it. Currently working on 100% completion on Kung Fu Chaos, but its making me angry. I guess I already did break my vow as I got Ikaruga and played it for 2 days and haven't touched it since.

The worst kind of games for people like us are the ones that have RPG elements to them. Once you leave for a while, you completely forget what goal you were trying to achieve. Like I played Golden Sun for GBA for a while, but I quit playing for so long I'd have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in it if I started playing again. Same with Morrowind which I stopped playing mid-stream as well. Isn't cause they are bad games, just that I get distracted for a week or so and never go back to playing them.
Old 06-13-03, 03:54 AM

i own so many rpgs that I never finished, not even halfway. so many rpgs for psx, grandia, legend of legaia, vandal hearts 1,2, tales of destiny etc. i played FFX for 2 hours or so and got tired of it. haven't touched it since. xenosaga? 3:40 and stopped. must be school and everything cuz i remember i played xenogears twice(!) back in the day and many snes like ff6 multiple times. now i don't feel like sitting for 4 or 5 hours to game. i play quick games like sports games.
Old 06-13-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've played 5 minutes of Morrowind and I KNOW I don't have the patience to get into this one. So, I go back to racing where I can stop after 15 minutes of playing.
Old 06-14-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I haven't touched Halo since like October and I'm not even halfway through it.

And I stopped playing Splinter Cell a couple months ago. I can't even remember what level i'm on.

I also hate hard games. I'd much rather play an easy game that I can beat every time.

Bascially ever aspect of my life sucks.
Old 06-14-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
My worst example of this was the X-Files game for the original Playstation. This was a game spread to 4 discs. I played the very first scene and never picked it up again.

I keep telling myself that I never gave it a chance, but no, I know that I'll never go back to it.