Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Mods Dotting Their I's

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Mods Dotting Their I's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods Crossing The Line

I am a relatively new member here at DVDTalk, and while I have stepped on some toes and made some mistakes along the way, I have learned from these mistakes, and strive to follow the rules of conduct dictated by this forum. One of the things that I find really appealing about DVDTalk is that the mods do a great job of policing the forum, stopping troll posts, flaming, and blatantly offensive language and themes.

By and large, even when I have disagreed with a mod decision (such as moving or closing down a thread), I nevertheless took the decision with a grain of salt and just went on about my business.

I do think sometimes that mods cross the line. Changing a thread title just a few minutes after someone has created it is one example; adding in a user name as a "banned" word and leaving it like that for several weeks is another.

I made a small joke about creating a Burt Reynolds appreciation thread as a tribute to a banned member, and one of the mods -- undoubtedly joking around, I'm sure -- changed my user name to "Stroker_Ace".

The problem with this, of course, is that this is not my user name, and I did not want to post my thoughts and opinions under a user name that no one would recognize. I consider that fraudulent and wrong. So the "joke" essentially turned into a temporary suspension for me, as I could not contribute to the forum until my name got changed back.

(Which Geoff was kind enough to do -- thanks Geoff.)

Sometimes, a user is just asking for trouble -- when one user asked for a custom title, he got kind of a cute moniker letting him know he might get a new title if he cut his sig length down. And some of the thread changes have been very clever, especially if it is an older thread that has pretty much wound down anyway.

In my opinion, though, sometimes the moderators and administrators on this forum go a little too far. Is there a code of conduct for moderators, and can members suggest changes to that code?
Old 06-10-03, 09:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mods Crossing The Line

Originally posted by ncmojo
I made a small joke about creating a Burt Reynolds appreciation thread as a tribute to a banned member, and one of the mods -- undoubtedly joking around, I'm sure -- changed my user name to "Stroker_Ace".

The problem with this, of course, is that this is not my user name, and I did not want to post my thoughts and opinions under a user name that no one would recognize. I consider that fraudulent and wrong. So the "joke" essentially turned into a temporary suspension for me, as I could not contribute to the forum until my name got changed back.
You turned it into a voluntary suspension. The Admins(not moderators, we can't change names/sigs/banned words) often temporarily change names when a member opens the door for a good joke. Hey, if you want to do something as a tribute, you need to have a fitting name. Right?

But don't worry, I've added your name to my mental list of members I can't have fun with. Your thread titles(as long as they are appropriately titled) are safe with me.

Unfortunately, the code of conduct does not exclude Admins from sometimes bringing the fun. Sorry.
Old 06-10-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This reminds me that some times ago there's a thread that asks whether Otters are willing to be "abused" in a jokingly manner and we're supposed to sign our name in that thread if we are willing to be "abused".

As far as I'm concern, I sign my name in that thread.
Old 06-10-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth ncmojo •<HR SIZE=1>I made a small joke about "vigorously defending the cinematic legacy of Burt Reynolds" as a tribute to a banned member, and one of the mods -- undoubtedly joking around, I'm sure -- changed my user name to "Stroker_Ace".

Sometimes, a user is just asking for trouble ...
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

The argument could be made that you were joking about a banned member (even mocking him) <I>after</I> he had been banned in a thread where multiple mods/admins had pointed out that this was not acceptable behavior. I saw Geoff's post about 15 seconds after he made it, and it took every ounce of self control I had not to comment despite having strong feelings about it. When jokingly defying the instructions of mods/admins, I think a joking response is significantly more preferable than more severe or permanent punishment.

Considering the amount of crap we put them through on a daily basis, a harmless joke here and there doesn't seem like something worthy of getting upset about. Again, I think it's much better than the alternative. So the "fun" finally made its way to you ... I'd just be happy to not be one of the faceless masses destined to never be anything but a "Senior Member." And let's be real ... it <I>was</I> funny.

das
Old 06-10-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, make fun of me all you want. Go ahead! I have a habit of making myself an easy target. And I usually don't take offense... but my screen name is also my identity. When I see a post by certain users (das, you come to mind), I will usually stop and see what they have to say, because their identity -- for better or for worse -- along with their screen name has become embedded in my mind.

Changing a user's screen name without their consent, IMO, crosses that line. What about editing a user's posts? Again, it might be funny to go in and have "das Monkey" kissing up to Bonnie Hammer and the Sci-Fi regime... but it is clearly crossing the line between what should be and should not be allowed. What about a user's signature? Should that also be fair game? Or is that crossing the line?

My question has to do with that line -- where should it be drawn, is it crossed a little too often, and whether or not the mods and admins should impose their own set of self-monitoring guidelines. Being a new member, I of course would not presume to dictate these guidelines to people with 30 or 40 times more posts than I will ever have; I am merely soliciting opinions as to how far some people can go.

PS - hope you don't mind me using you as an example, das.

PPS - and of course, no matter what standards are out there, Geoff can do whatever the hell he wants.
Old 06-10-03, 10:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Your level of sense of humor has been noted.

We now know that you think it's fine to make fun of a banned member, even post in another thread in Movie Talk about him and then you were going to start a "tribute" thread to him to further the "joke".

But when your name was temporarily changed (in an entirely appropriate manner considering what you had posted) as a "tribute" to your "tribute" to that banned member you went ballistic.

As for "losing" your identity, you should really think long and hard about how many people are waiting with bated breath for your name to appear so they can see what you had to say.

And as for your hypotheticals, why don't you let us know when those events impact you and we'll address them at that time. There are times when members' posts and signatures and locations have to be changed. If you are negatively impacted by them just let us know.
Old 06-10-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So let me get this straight...

I make a small joke in reference to the banned member... note that I was the 3rd person to make such a reference in that thread, and that 3 other people after me made references far more crass and out of line... and you think that someone changing my user name was "appropriate"?

I did not make fun of the banned member -- in fact, if you look back over my posts, you'll see that I actually commended the banned member on many occasions, even though I vehemently disagreed with him. The "post in another thread in Movie Talk" was simply a statement that the member had been banned and could not respond -- something that was pretty much common knowledge as it happened in a public forum.

As for the "how many people are waiting with bated breath" reference... gee, thanks, X. Nice to know I can count on you to bring me back to earth. So, in your opinion, no one gives a rat's ass what I say anyway? There's no real point making these posts and signing my name? I'm not saying they should change the name of this site to the "NCMojo Appreciation Society", but I would like to think that most of what I have posted has fallen in line with the spirit of this forum.

As for the "ballistic" comment... instead of ranting and raving and cursing about the matter, I sent a private e-mail to Geoff, and then (I think politely) created this thread to generate some discussion on the matter. I did not attempt to berate anyone's sense of humor, or their popularity, or try to belittle their opinions, because -- and correct me if I'm wrong, X -- that is not what this forum is supposed to be about.

My sense of humor is fine. As I stated earlier, I regularly leave myself open to brickbats and sarcastic riparte, and I like to think I give as good as I get. I use Bushdog's quote in my sig line because I do get it, and I don't mind members busting my balls as long as it does not cross that "hypothetical" line. Where and when that line should be applied is the question behind this thread.
Old 06-10-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Personally, if my name was changed by a mod, even as a joke, I'd stop posting in this forum. I'm sorry, but I think ncmojo does have a valid point. I'm all for the mods having fun, but changing a user name is just as bad as a mod going in and changing someone's post (assuming it's not something against the rules) "for a laugh". The mods do a freakin' great job and all, but you know, posters ought to have some rights too. If the mods can't respect that then we all of course have the right to just go somewhere else on the Net.
Old 06-10-03, 11:29 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Ncmojo, you certainly have an interesting way of looking at the situation. Minimizing some things, maximizing others.

I can only suggest that you are taking posting on an entertainment-oriented internet forum much too seriously -- when you don't initiate the joke. And I can tell you that your name is on our list of people who have certain concerns and limits. We may be somewhat omnipotent but we're not omniscient.
Old 06-10-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure there are support groups for people who take their internet names this seriously.
Old 06-10-03, 11:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I don't mind my name change. Except that they still haven't gotten it right. It's "Enormous Genitals"! How hard is that?

Oooh, look - I made a punny!
Old 06-10-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2 cents

Everyone has a different perspective on anything a mod does. No matter what, ANYTHING we do will be seen by someone in a different way. Some will dislike it, some will like it.

In some cases, the mods/admins try to bring the funny. I am probably the worst (or best) at this. It's been my intent to consider the Other Forum as a source of amusement (as compared to a place to continually post a single political point of view). I carry this over to my moderating. For me, I find a little humor to help when doing this job. I think most people would agree.

Often the joking around between members is more indicative of a sense of belonging. Like pals going out and joking around. I would NOT play around with someone I don't think I know pretty well, or in fact, I pretty much only joke around with someone I think I like. I think a few people at least recognize this, that the custom titles are often a sign of belonging and status, because it means we know you. The constant changing of D.Pham's name for example. It was really done with the best intent. It provided amusement to the forum and D.Pham seemed to enjoy it. Just about anyone we D.phuk with, is someone that is part of the family of Other.

Now... can we miss the mark? Of course. Can we bring the funny and find it's not that funny? Yes. Can we misjudge the person? Yes, and it's happened before. We do have a short list of a few people that we will not ever joke around with. You are now on the list. Note, that is not being judgemental, I really do respect the fact you feel strongly about this and appreciate your point of view. And it's been noted.

Lastly, I think some of this is over reaction about your name, and that is what X is referring to. You do seem (to me) to be taking it very hard. I don't think most people assign the same level of importance to the sanctity of their usename.

Now I have to go change BandofButters to something else.

P.S. Humor, when done correctly, is not without risk.

P.P.S. A sense of humor can be the most important thing you have. When all else is gone, you can still have your sense of humor (and your integrity). A self inflated sense of your own importance is probably much less valuable and can be a detriment. IMO.
Old 06-10-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
I can only suggest that you are taking posting on an entertainment-oriented internet forum much too seriously -- when you don't initiate the joke.
I don't by and large take posting on DVDTalk all that seriously. I really enjoy posting in this forum because I really do have a good sense of humor, and because ordinarily you don't see the kind of flaming and personal attacks that you will frequently see on other boards. I commend you and all of the mods and admins for helping to make this possible.

The point of this thread was not to say, "ooh, look at me, I am wounded, I am hurt" -- but rather to say, "You know, I really think this joke crossed the line, but maybe I am wrong, and I would like to hear what other people have to say."

Originally posted by X
And I can tell you that your name is on our list of people who have certain concerns and limits. We may be somewhat omnipotent but we're not omniscient.
All right, I'll be honest -- there are two different ways I can take this:

Raging Paranoia Man: A list? They have a list? And I'm on it? Sort of like Nixon's list? All of the mods and admins will be out to get me? Why even bother? From this point on, I'm a marked man! Everybody hates me! I'm should just go and quit this forum and never come back...

So, I could go this way. But instead, I'm going to listen to this other voice in my head:

Crush (the Finding Nemo Turtle): Duuude. What X is tryin' to say is that he's listening to ya, and hearing your concerns. When he says that those admin dudes are omnipotent but not omniscient, that means they are looking out for what's best for the board whenever possible, but that they're always open to new ideas and suggestions. It's like, ya know, a commendation, almost.

Chill out, dude.

So, OK, I'll chilll. I don't take the name change personally; it was meant to be a joke. Feel free to mock me and change the titles of my posts and generally harangue me.

Last edited by NCMojo; 06-10-03 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ncmojo, I think you're getting the point now. It was meant playfully, and was based off of the notion that you had seemed to be a member who had a sense of humor. I've been enjoying your posting, and I'm betting the admins have, too. So they included you in on the fun. It is as simple, and inoffensive as that.

Your negative reaction probably makes them beat themselves in the head for seeing you as someone who they can joke with.
Old 06-10-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd just like to add my name to the list of members who can be 'messed' with.
Old 06-10-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

stupid mods. stupid fat nasty mods... changing our precious user names.

Old 06-10-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I on the bad list or the good list?
Old 06-10-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LittleDick
Am I on the bad list or the good list?
Let me check, I will get back to you.
Old 06-10-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth RandyC •<HR SIZE=1>Let me check, I will get back to you. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

das
Old 06-10-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RandyC
OK, now that's funny. Over the line? Sure. But funny? Yup.
Old 06-10-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you do have over 33,000 member names to look through. Can't blame you for taking some time
Old 06-10-03, 02:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: My 2 cents

Now... can we miss the mark? Of course. Can we bring the funny and find it's not that funny? Yes.
Hey! Speak for yourself.
Old 06-10-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're (un)lucky enough to get a name change/status change you ought to be happy. I wouldn't expect that the admins/mods would waste their time doing that for a member that they don't know or find sort of "cool" in some sort of a way. Take me for instance: the mods realized that I have really helped to ramp up the intelligence level on this forum. They see that my constant bickering, complaining, and correcting bad grammar has helped to lead the forum to a new era of posting. And there really is not one of them who wouldn't hope into the sack with me if I just snapped my fingers. Not only do I consider this a high compliment, but it even is enough to make me a little queasy to the stomach.
Old 06-10-03, 03:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Did I kill it? Did I? Did I?]

@ this thread.

[But in a <i>good</i> way]
Old 06-10-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ncmojo

The problem with this, of course, is that this is not my user name, and I did not want to post my thoughts and opinions under a user name that no one would recognize.
Umm, Who are you?

-k
###

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.