TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Sopranos' Delayed, but Could Have Extra Episodes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Sopranos' Delayed, but Could Have Extra Episodes

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?31816

Mon, Jun 9, 2003 04:05 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - In the category of good things come to those who wait, fans of "The Sopranos" most likely won't see new episodes of the mob drama until early 2004. The fifth season had been scheduled for a fall 2003 premiere.

When the show finally does return, though, it could be around for as many as six additional episodes beyond its usual complement of 13.

That's the word from series creator David Chase, who says the storyline he's planned for the coming season -- which he has previously said would be the last for "The Sopranos" -- couldn't necessarily be contained to 13 hours.

"I'd planned out an arc for Season 5 that would have ended the show," Chase tells the New York Daily News. "But as we're getting into it, we're finding there's a lot more material. We could cram it into 13 episodes, but I don't know that it's the right thing to do. So there may be additional episodes."

HBO and Chase are talking about making additional episodes. "I suspect they'll be okay with that," Chase says.

Chase wasn't too worried during the short but intense period when "Sopranos" star James Gandolfini threatened not to show up for work without a substantial raise.

"I just felt it would probably work out. And if it didn't, there's nothing you could do about it," Chase says.

The two sides settled the matter quickly, with Gandolfini getting more money per episode, though not as much as he had initially demanded.

The issue lingered briefly on the set of the show, but Chase says it went away fairly quickly once everyone got to work.

"Our first episodes are always kind of troubled, for one reason or another," he says. "And let's just say that this one was, too. But now it's going real well."

Chris
Old 06-09-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there a delay if they are filming episodes now?
Old 06-09-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wasn't Carnivale suppose to air in the Fall 2003 slot anyway?
Old 06-10-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mind waiting a few months if we get 18 instead of 13 episodes for the finale....sounds good to me. They better release season four in August still though.....
Old 06-10-03, 02:07 AM

does a delayed season 5 release mean a delay for Season 4 release on DVD????
Old 06-10-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is really gonna be the last season??..Does anybody think Tony will get wacked??..That would be a gutsy move by Chase. Kill the entire HBO "franchise" series
Old 06-10-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I thought S5 wasn't supposed to start until January 2004 anyway.
Old 06-10-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This makes sense. HBO rarely seems to run several new episodes of its series concurrently (usually two at most). Carnivale is supposed to start shortly after Sex and the City goes on hiatus at the end of summer. Once Carnivale is done, Sex and the City should resume and run the "extra" 10 remaining episodes through its series finale (I believe a total of 28 episodes?). Once that is done, The Sopranos would start.

Makes sense for HBO to do this since they're losing two major series in the next few months... spread it out and milk it for all its worth!
Old 06-10-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, does this mean we won't be getting Six Feet Under until next summer?
Old 06-10-03, 10:37 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Does this confirm that Season 5 will officially be the last? It sounds that way.
Old 06-10-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the sopranos repeats won't end until at least feb of 2004.
Old 06-10-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by rfduncan
Makes sense for HBO to do this since they're losing two major series in the next few months... spread it out and milk it for all its worth!
Makes great sense. I know a number of people who order HBO only while the Sopranos is on, then cancel as soon as the new eps are done......
Old 06-10-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Didn't Chase also say at one point he had to expand the last season into both S4 and S5? Doesn't make sense that he will need more epsiodes if he was struggling to make new material as it was. Oh well, maybe he had a brainstorm! I would rather have more eps tacked on to the end of a season and end the story than have him let HBO do the obvious and try to stretch those into yet another season.
Old 06-10-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Jobronie
Makes great sense. I know a number of people who order HBO only while the Sopranos is on, then cancel as soon as the new eps are done......
That'd be me. I'm glad to wait until Jan. and have more episodes. Since it's the last season, the more episodes the better FOR SURE...
Old 06-10-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we are looking at a definite conclusion to the series. I can't wait. Big things are brewing.
Old 06-10-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Didn't Chase also say at one point he had to expand the last season into both S4 and S5? Doesn't make sense that he will need more epsiodes if he was struggling to make new material as it was. Oh well, maybe he had a brainstorm! I would rather have more eps tacked on to the end of a season and end the story than have him let HBO do the obvious and try to stretch those into yet another season.
From the above article:
"I'd planned out an arc for Season 5 that would have ended the show," Chase tells the New York Daily News. "But as we're getting into it, we're finding there's a lot more material. We could cram it into 13 episodes, but I don't know that it's the right thing to do. So there may be additional episodes."
Sounds like they're "finding" more stuff that needs to be handled than he realized. Would you RATHER only have 13 more episodes instead?!?!
Old 06-10-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone give me their opinion about Tony's character?..I think he will get killed in the last episode??..He has to he's done so much bad stuff the past 5 years..
Old 06-10-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also the sopranos repeats won't end until at least feb of 2004.
Well, last Sunday HBO showed two repeat episodes. instead of just one, and they're doing the same thing this Sunday, so they can burn through the rest of the repeats in half the time if they continue that. Then what? Maybe start from episode one again.

As for the finale, I think it's inevitable that Tony gets whacked. Or everyone else BUT Tony. UNLESS, they plan on making a theatrical film of the show, in which case the finale will possibly be a cliffhanger ( ) to be resolved in the movie. That would suck.

Honk!
Old 06-10-03, 07:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Hubby and I love The Sopranos. I would be willing to wait extra time if they add on episodes. The season is just way too short for me.

Christina
Old 06-10-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
I thought S5 wasn't supposed to start until January 2004 anyway.
That's what I thought. I had heard while Season 4 was still airing that Season 5 would not start until January. They must have changed their minds and then changed it back again.
Old 06-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for one can't wait for The Sopranos to premiere. I can wait the extra few months for new episodes, especially if there will be extras! Although, I'd love to see them do something along the lines of Sex and the City and show some episodes in the fall and in January/February finish out the seasons.
Old 06-11-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by shanester
Can someone give me their opinion about Tony's character?..I think he will get killed in the last episode??..He has to he's done so much bad stuff the past 5 years..
I think it'll end with him either dead or in prison. It wouldn't make sense to give his character a "happy ending."
Old 06-11-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
According to Edie Falco, there are no extra episodes.
Old 06-11-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, either way if there's a sixth season (according to that Falco link) or more episodes....it's a good thing.
Old 06-13-03, 09:56 AM

Gandolfini Redistributes New-Found Wealth

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?31847

Thu, Jun 12, 2003 04:12 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - During his often acrimonious contract renegotiations with HBO, a major sticking point for James Gandolfini was a share in profits for "The Sopranos." Immediately after receiving his first advance check, though, Gandolfini turned around and shared the bounty with his co-stars.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gandolfini passed along bonuses totaling around $500,000. Checks in the five-figure range reportedly went out to more than a dozen series regulars including Dominic Chianese ("Uncle Junior" ), Michael Imperioli ("Christopher" ), Tony Sirico ("Paulie Walnuts" ), Edie Falco and Lorraine Bracco.

"It was always part of his plan to share some of the wealth with the other actors," a source tells the HP. "He has always called this show an ensemble, from Day One."

Gandolfini's generosity came as cast members and producers are in negotiations for a sixth season (the fifth is currently in production as well). While Tuesday (June 10) was the original deadline for HBO's option to pick up the actors' contracts, the premium cable network was given a one-week extension to try to work things out.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.