Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

pearl jam B-sides

Old 06-09-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pearl jam B-sides

i can't recall where i heard it, but i was under the impression that pearl jam was going to release an album of b-sides and unreleased material. is this true?

Does anyone have a list of all their b-sides? Or a link as to where i can find a list?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-03, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're correct, they are going to release a rarities album, which is due out some time in August. As far as I know, however, the track listing hasn't been confirmed yet.
Old 06-09-03, 01:05 PM

Yes, You should see more info after the boys wrap up the tour. the CD should be out in August.

Jinx Jack!
Old 06-09-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes they are planning on releasing a 2 cd set of b-sides however no date has been set. Rumors had August as the release month but I would guess that it will not be out until the fall/xmas.
Old 06-09-03, 01:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 years ago someone wrote the following:
PEARL Rumor: Aside from the Neil Young collaboration we can also expect a 2-CD Set of B-sides, unreleased and live material... Included are things like Yellow Ledbetter, Footsteps and The Part Where I Play The Pope...
JAM Fact: The Neil Young collaboration is in the works but there will be no 2-CD set of B-sides.
However, I do not propose to read through 50+ editions to see if the situation changed!

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Pea.../rumorpit.html

Of course, it may be that a definitive 2003 answer could be obtained via the above board whereon it was recently written:
PJ Music...
Yes, there's more! Pearl Jam's rarities album is still in the works and should be delivered in August...still working on the rest of the details.
Old 06-09-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=18158

Pearl Jam Plan Rarities Set

Multi-disc release due later this year

Pearl Jam have pulled more than fifty rare and previously unissued tracks from their vaults for a retrospective album tentatively set for release this year.

"We have all of the Christmas singles, B sides and benefit-album tracks," says manager Kelly Curtis. "The band is looking at different versions of songs that didn't make the albums. It could be a multidisc set. The guys have to figure out how big they think it should be."
Old 06-09-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably pick this up, hoping that a lot of the material goes back to the times when I enjoyed their music.
Old 06-09-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made my own collection of pj b-sides a while ago on a cd...if you want the track-listing let me know...
Old 06-10-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got an "import" from '93 called "The Five Musketeers". It's mainly rarities/b-sides

1. Wash
2. Dirty Frank
3. Oceans (early version)
4. Footsteps
5. Yellow Ledbetter
6. Breath
7. State of Love and Trust
8. Release
9. Girl
10. Alive (early version)
11. Alone
12. Hold your Head Up
13. Mistery (how it's spelled on the liner)

14-16 are doors covers they did at the Rock n Roll Hall of fame (which imo were pretty horrible)

14. Roadhouse Blues
15. Break on Through
16. Light My Fire

(edit: changed bootleg to "import" so I don't violate any policies of the forum )

Last edited by dgmayor; 06-10-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 12:23 PM

FWIW, The Doors stuff from the HOF was just Ed fronting the Doors, it wasn't Pearl Jam.

Anyhow, it'd be nice to have all the Xmas singles, I Got a Feeling, YL, some of the other stuff in one place. I guess it'll depend on how much work they want to put into really finding some rare stuff.
Old 06-12-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by benedict
8 years ago someone wrote the following:However, I do not propose to read through 50+ editions to see if the situation changed!

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Pea.../rumorpit.html

Of course, it may be that a definitive 2003 answer could be obtained via the above board whereon it was recently written:
If you want to go to any of their fansites and read all the news, and interviews from this past year they've been talking heavily about making this multi disc compilation a reality this year. I've read all the interviews/articles I could find over the last 8 months, and it looks like they decided to put this together because "Riot Act" was their last studio album on their contract with Epic. They're trying to get it out, and show how great their selling power is, to grease up all the record companies that are looking at them. August, with Epic Records, looks to be what everybody's gunning for, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 06-13-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
"We have all of the Christmas singles, B sides and benefit-album tracks," says manager Kelly Curtis. "The band is looking at different versions of songs that didn't make the albums. It could be a multidisc set. The guys have to figure out how big they think it should be."
That'll work.
Old 07-30-03, 03:56 PM

More information or rumors on the Pearl Jam rarities disc coming out later this year.. I can hardly wait, but for now keeping held down with bootlegs, and memories of lots of great live shows this tour..

exert from the the July billboard article:
A long-planned double-disc compilation of rarities is tentatively set for a Christmas release by Epic. The track list has not been nailed down, but band members have been actively involved in selecting a host of previously unreleased outtakes. Over time, the planned content of the set has changed; bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard.com last year that the album would not include any live material, while guitarist Stone Gossard said, "there's some old stuff we might tweak to make it nice."
For full article see billboard or view on pearl jam's website

http://www.theskyiscrape.com
Old 07-30-03, 04:44 PM

It'll be very interesting to see if they actually have anything vastly different from what most serious PJ fans already have. I already have plenty of versions of Wash, Dirty Frank, YL, Brother, etc. around.
Old 07-30-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-30-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I downloaded a while back I believe a rough cut of Ten(it is hard to tell what it is when you are just going by a file name).

It is pretty good. It sounds like a pre-polished version of ten. Minor differences. A few different notes here, a lyric change there, and an early version of YL before there were lyrics for it. EV is mostly humming along, singing random words. It is a good listen.

Don't forget Gremmie out of Control.
Old 08-01-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YL has always been "random" words No 'official' lyrics, and I must've heard 100+ versions of it... never once have the lyrics been the same. Obviously there are some parts that remain the same in most versions "Can you see them, on the porch..." and "in a box or a bag" (or "a boxer or a bag" depending on the interpretation ) but anyway, yeah, every version's different, very different.

I do hope we get better quality versions of unreleased material like the Binaural Outtakes (Education, Fatal, and Letter to the Dead), and other outtakes instead of releasing songs like Down, YL, Breath, Footsteps, SOLAT, etc... as "rareties," but I'm afraid that's probably what most of it will be.

I guess, in other words, I'm a selfish fan who owns plenty of versions of those songs, and is hoping for some truly unheard of stuff! But then again, wouldn't they just save that stuff for a real release in the future? Eh, probably.

Anyway, pick up bootlegs to tie you over!!
Old 08-02-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are few certainties with my music buying these days. One of them is that I'll by anything Pearl Jam releases.

Can't wait for this!