Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Half-Life 2 for Xbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Half-Life 2 for Xbox?

No Half-Life 2 for Xbox?

Recent reports suggest that Valve Software's first-person sequel won't be coming to the Xbox console as previously announced.

A recent report in the Puget Sound Business Journal contains a quote from David Hufford, a product manager in Microsoft's Xbox group, acknowledging that Half-Life 2 won't be released for the Xbox as was previously announced. The lengthy article discusses the ongoing battle between Microsoft and Sony and, after mentioning that EA has no plans to incorporate Xbox Live functionality into its sports games, and that Halo 2 won't be available until March next year, mentions quite matter-of-factly that the future of Half-Life 2--which we voted our Game of Show after returning from E3 this year--on the Xbox is, at best, in doubt.

"As of now, Half-Life 2 is not going to be on the Xbox," said Hufford. "Valve is sending us mixed messages on that."

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seatt...02/story7.html
Old 06-09-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how can they vote an unreleased game to be game of the year?

Jackasses.
Old 06-09-03, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by RoQuEr
how can they vote an unreleased game to be game of the year?
Read it again. They named it Game of the Show. Meaning E3.

As for this announcement, I just shrug my shoulders and give a "Who cares?" Any hardcore FPS fan is going to buy it on PC anyway.
Old 06-09-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Read it again. They named it Game of the Show. Meaning E3.

As for this announcement, I just shrug my shoulders and give a "Who cares?" Any hardcore FPS fan is going to buy it on PC anyway.
Yep! It's not that big of a deal, at least until Sony gets it as a PS2 exclusive.
Old 06-09-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I was never fully convinced it would end up on Xbox anyway - Xbox hardware can't even really handle it... well, it could handle a watered down version, but it wouldn't look nearly as pretty. Same goes for Doom 3 - won't look nearly as good on the Xbox. As for PS2, that's a laugh.
Old 06-09-03, 01:26 PM

The old version of Xbox Live only allowed gamers to talk to one another in a central online portal area, but the new version enables them to communicate while actually playing games.

I can talk to people while playing Castle Wolfenstein, now?!? Where can I get this new version of Xbox Live??
Old 06-09-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Half-life 2 is coming to the xbox after all!!!!!

from gamespy.com
Half-Life 2 Confirmed for Xbox
Valve says Half-Life 2 is coming to the Xbox, despite Microsoft's denial.
Monday June 9, 2003 | Aramo

Click to enlarge
Microsoft's David Hufford, product manager of the Xbox group, in a report by Puget Sound Business Journal is quoted wrongly saying "Half-Life 2 is not going to be on the Xbox." This statement conflicts with assurances made by Valve Software's Doug Lombardi earlier last month that an Xbox version of the game is in development.

Lombardi today told GameSpy Half-Life 2 is certainly in development for the Xbox. "Half-Life 2 is planned for the PC and Xbox. We've announced the shipping date for the PC version [September 30, 2003 - ed.], and we'll announce a shipping date for the Xbox version later in the year."
Old 06-09-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrglass
The old version of Xbox Live only allowed gamers to talk to one another in a central online portal area, but the new version enables them to communicate while actually playing games.

I can talk to people while playing Castle Wolfenstein, now?!? Where can I get this new version of Xbox Live??
It's not out yet.. and what it means is that you can talk to someone when they're playing a game and you're in the lobby, kinda like "Hey get off of Castle Wolf and come play PSO with me!"..
Old 06-09-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I was never fully convinced it would end up on Xbox anyway - Xbox hardware can't even really handle it... well, it could handle a watered down version, but it wouldn't look nearly as pretty. Same goes for Doom 3 - won't look nearly as good on the Xbox. As for PS2, that's a laugh.
I'll be buying doom 3 for xbox, possibly half life 2 also. I got tired of upgrading my computer to play games. Now I use my computer to work and do school stuff, use the xbox to play games.
Old 06-09-03, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Groucho

Any hardcore FPS fan is going to buy it on PC anyway.
IMHO, the mouse and keyboard are the only way to play FPS games. I've played Halo on the xbox, but I still prefer mouse and keyboard. Also, give me a reason to upgrade the old video card. I'm still running the Radeon, I think, 7200. Its the 32 meg version.

The only thing I'll miss is the bigger screen (17 inch vs 32 inch). Also, I love how Halo is in 5.1 surround.
Old 06-09-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll buy the xbox version.

Chris
Old 06-09-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
eh, I'll be upgrading my system (it's not like this is just for one game, it's a new standard for gaming.. this upgrade will last a while so no one should be complaining since these two game engines will be used for a while after the games are released) and hell, the best way to play FPS is on PC with mod's at hand and all
Old 06-10-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be buying doom 3 for xbox, possibly half life 2 also. I got tired of upgrading my computer to play games. Now I use my computer to work and do school stuff, use the xbox to play games.
The side effect is that you're frozen in time technology-wise. Not that games don't come out that can be played on old systems.

My idea goes that since I already have a computer, I might as well save the money I'd spend on buying a console to buy a new hardware for the computer. Maybe if I was rich I'd buy all, but since I like the lack of restrictions that PC Games have, I'll go with that.

As for X-Box being able to handel Half Life or not... it depends on the engine. I'd imagine that it might have to have the levels devided into smaller areas, and maybe lesser quality textures...

As to why this X-Box/No X-Box thing is going on... Half Life didn't sell well on the PS2. Half Life's fans are on the PC. That's what they're going to focus on right now, so everything else is coming secondary. I'm glad they're doing that, it's not like other console companys don't (rightly so) do that. I'm tired of games that have tiny levels, crappy textures, and a Teen rating because the publisher wants it on all systems.
Old 06-11-03, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by BizRodian
As to why this X-Box/No X-Box thing is going on... Half Life didn't sell well on the PS2. Half Life's fans are on the PC. That's what they're going to focus on right now, so everything else is coming secondary.
This whole Xbox/No Xbox thing doesn't even exist. It was planned for Xbox yesterday, it's planned for Xbox today, and it will be planned for Xbox tomorrow.

I'd love to see a transcript of what was actually said in that original interview.

GameSpy: In the Puget Sound Business Journal, you're quoted as saying Half-Life 2 isn't coming to Xbox. Valve's Doug Lombardi says that it is. What gives?

Hufford: Somehow it was a misunderstanding. We play by the book around here and until we see an official announcement from a company, we're not in a place to scream "IT'S COMING." We did a lot of screaming when we got Doom 3 on Xbox because the id guys gave us the green light to be vocal. As a rule, I encourage everyone who asks if an "unannounced" game is coming to Xbox to contact the publisher for an answer -- it looks like you heard it straight from Valve that Half-Life 2 will be on Xbox.

GameSpy: How did this miscommunication come about?

Hufford: I don't know. I never said Half Life 2 wouldn't be available for Xbox. I deferred to Valve at the time of the interview.
Old 06-11-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This whole Xbox/No Xbox thing doesn't even exist. It was planned for Xbox yesterday, it's planned for Xbox today, and it will be planned for Xbox tomorrow.
What I ment was this kind of confusion is caused by the fact Valve hasn't made this a joint X-Box release from the get go... the reasons I said above is why.