NEW V Miniseries Coming!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NEW V Miniseries Coming!

Old 06-09-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW V Miniseries Coming!

Woo Hoo. More Lizard Brains!

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Twenty years after NBC's hit sci-fi miniseries "V" invaded the small screen, the network is bringing the aliens back with "V: The Second Generation," a three-hour TV movie from the original creator Kenneth Johnson.

Johnson, who wrote, directed and produced the original miniseries, is set to write, direct and executive produce the sequel, which has been given a script commitment.

The 1983 "V" (short for Visitors), which spawned a short-lived weekly series on NBC, was a sci-fi allegory of the Nazi takeover of Germany in the 1930s.

It centered on the Visitors, aliens from a distant planet who came to Earth with the promise to solve the world's problems through their high technology, but after gaining control of the planet through subterfuge and media manipulation, began to methodically kill their hosts.

A small group of humans, who discovered the Visitors' true plan -- to conquer the Earth and eat its population -- form a resistance and lead the fight against the invaders.

The new movie, produced by Warner Bros. TV and Kenneth Johnson Prods., will take place 20 years into the future. As the alien forces are turning more and more Earth citizens into followers, the resistance suddenly gains a powerful and mysterious new ally.

Several cast members of the miniseries and the weekly series, including Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler and Robert Englund (news), could reprise their roles in the telefilm if it goes into production.

"For years I've had a passion to dig even deeper into the characters and circumstances," Johnson said. "Gregg Maday at Warner Bros., my fellow executive producer Rob Lee, NBC and I plan to make this new 'V' into the same kind of major international TV event that my original miniseries was."

The conclusion of the original mini in May 1983 was the top program for the week, averaging a 27 household rating/40 share. Additionally, "V" enjoyed solid success overseas. Twenty years later, the miniseries continues to be a strong draw as its recent DVD release has quickly become a hot seller, with more than 250,000 units shipped.

"The appeal of 'V' continues, and we look forward to getting a new script that could introduce it to a new generation of viewers," said Jeff Gaspin, NBC Entertainment executive vp alternative series, longform and Bravo. "Likewise, we would like to move the story forward with a fresh take on this timeless story of human resilience and resistance."
Old 06-09-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
You beat me by a few seconds - I literally just read this a second ago.

This is awesome. I loved the 2 miniseries. The V series was horrible. Great to see Kenneth Johnson back at the helm.

Plus they left the 'Ally' storyline hanging at the end of the original miniseries. 20 years is a good number to work with - figure it would take years for the radio transmission to reach such an ally and then add in the response time. I hope they can get can some of the original players back - mainly Donovan, Ham, and of course, Diana.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-09-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-09-03, 10:50 AM

Source? Linky? Where'd you find that?
Old 06-09-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
Source? Linky? Where'd you find that?

I saw it on the front page of cnn.com
Old 06-09-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_visitors_dc
Old 06-09-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasn't sure I was going to be happy about the news until I saw that Kenneth Johnson is back. Great news all around.

As long as this movie pretends like the TV series didn't happen (and I assume it will), I'm psyched.
Old 06-09-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bboisvert

As long as this movie pretends like the TV series didn't happen (and I assume it will), I'm psyched.

I think they might selectively acknowledge certain elements. For example, the reason why the Visitors would be able to return to their conquest and extraction of the humans and water despite the introduction of the Red Dust.

One thing is certain - WB must have sold of ton of DVDs.
Old 06-09-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually Robert Englund said some of this stuff earlier in teh week to Capone on Aint It Cool. Sounds like they may disregard the series:

Englund's Quote:
Actually, NBC has called [original series creator] Kenneth Johnson to write another three to four hours of the series. I don’t think he’s going to tie up all the story lines because Ken left the show before it became a television series, he was just on the mini-series part of things.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15378
Old 06-09-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome news! Even moreso if the original cast is going to be involved.

I can't wait to see what more modern make-up and FX led to.
Old 06-09-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW!!!!! Kenneth Johnson along with a great possibility of returning cast members from the original mini-series. Excellent....Excellent news. Can't wait to see it!!!
Old 06-09-03, 11:55 AM

so so so happy!

This was always one of my favorites. I would love to see it updated by the right people.
Old 06-09-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is another link:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

This will have BIG ratings.

Over 250,000 DVD sold.
Old 06-09-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Hmmm...

The fan in me is happy about this [especially with KJ at the helm & the possibility of some of the original cast returning...]

But, the skeptic in me is seeing the way things are being done today and wondering if this'll be a "Bonnie Hammer/Battlestar Galatica" specialty...

And hopefully they'll put out the TV series on DVD before it comes out...
Old 06-09-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
[pathetic mode]
You know what's really sad? As I kid, we made our own "V" flag and "V" guns. As is that wasn't bad enough, we attached small bags of red Kool-Aid powder to kites, water rockets, helium balloons, etc before launch.

[/pathetic mode]

Top that!
Old 06-09-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Just wondered - if they bring back Jane Badler to portray Diana and it is 20 years into the future, how will they explain her aging re: human face/makeup.
Old 06-09-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Just wondered - if they bring back Jane Badler to portray Diana and it is 20 years into the future, how will they explain her aging re: human face/makeup.
Same as Brent Spiner and Data's wrinkles: They don't
Old 06-09-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe she, like Morgan Fairchild, is ageless.

Am I the only one who remembers War of the Worlds, from about the same time as the series?
Old 06-09-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Wizdar
Maybe she, like Morgan Fairchild, is ageless.

Morgan is a total babe. I don't care how much cash she has spent.
Old 06-09-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one who remembers War of the Worlds, from about the same time as the series?
You mean the War TV series, right? I remember it. I just wish I could see more episodes of them somehow.

The ships were way underused.
Old 06-09-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ships?

Don't remember any ships. 'Course it's been a coupla years.

I remember aliens packed in 55-gallon drums of nuclear waste (I think that's where it started, with a nod to the '53 movie), and those big fat "cell" phones they used to replace the guns in E.T.
Old 06-09-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
She was Miss New Hamphire, IIRC. Beauty queens know how to take care of themselves, I'd bet she's still got it goin' on, even at 50. Remember that their leader had "older" human make up, so mybe they'll explain it as a purposeful aging thing, as in older=higher ranking.

On her birthday last year, showing a few miles, but still fetching:

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 06-09-03 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-09-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ships?

Don't remember any ships. 'Course it's been a coupla years.

I remember aliens packed in 55-gallon drums of nuclear waste (I think that's where it started, with a nod to the '53 movie), and those big fat "cell" phones they used to replace the guns in E.T.
I meant these:

I remember them in the pilot, but not much else.
Old 06-09-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
You mean the War TV series, right? I remember it. I just wish I could see more episodes of them somehow.

The ships were way underused.

that was great show. I wish I could get my hands on some episodes of that. I wish scifi would pick it up. OH well.
Old 06-09-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
She was Miss New Hamphire, IIRC. Beauty queens know how to take care of themselves, I'd bet she's still got it goin' on, even at 50. Remember that their leader had "older" human make up, so mybe they'll explain it as a purposeful aging thing, as in older=higher ranking.

That is what I figured. No way after seeing that picture can they pass her off as the same made-up face.
Old 06-09-03, 04:31 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Color me shocked. And thrilled.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.