Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan's Run remake in the works

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Would you approve of a remake of "Logan's Run"?
Yes, I would approve...
60.26%
No, leave it the way it is...
33.33%
I can't say, I haven't seen the film...
5.13%
Twikoff should do it!
1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 11:18 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I picked up Logan's Run about a year ago for about $4-5. It's been sitting on my shelf since then, but I forgot about it. As I was flipping through channels last night (read: I was bored), Cabaret was on (which also stars Michael York)... the I remembered about Logan's Run and popped it in.

In 1976 (when the film was released) I was 2. So I as I watched the film I took the cheesiness of the special effects in stride (Note: This won a Special Achievement Oscar for the effects, which included holographic and laser technology).

As I watched the film (which I thought was quite good, considering), I couldn't help but think that its could be constrcuted much better with today's technology and special effects.

The part of the film that made me cringe was the whole "renewal" scene with the wires and bad sparklers.

So I pose the question: Would you approve of a remake of this film?
Old 06-08-03, 11:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one of those cases where I would approve of a remake, provided it was done by someone with talent, not just some hack. It's a great film but the effects/clothing could be improved upon, unlike remakes like Psycho, which seem pointless.
Old 06-08-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought they WERE making a remake.
Old 06-08-03, 12:29 PM

Rumors are that Warner Bros has the rights to remake it and they had put Skip Wood's at the helm, then it just fizzled.
Old 06-08-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting... Yeah, I think so... Why not. Let's do it.
Old 06-09-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At one point I really wanted to remake this film.

In the commentary they mention that the Lastday is when you turn 21 in the book, not 30 as in the film. I'd want this put into the remake (Naturally, not all of actors would have to be <21; after all, York himself was over 30 when he made the original).

I envisioned Box as a a much bigger, "living factory", rather than a guy in a silver suit. Box would be the fridge itself, and robotic arms from everywhere would attempt to grab Logan and Jessica as they tried to escape. Think about it: A grandiose chase/escape scene where the building you're trying to escape is the very thing trying to kill you. (in this case, freeze you)

And for God's sake, those costumes have to be improved. And now. No man's going to go through life going "well, I've just turned 24, time for me to start wearing pastel pink". Don't get me wrong, I loved the colour of the original, but the awful, awful costumes...

And, if any of you have seen "Coupling", you know what made the original a great film instead of a good film: Nudity for no apparent reason. And the remake should respect this.
Old 06-09-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
[B]In the commentary they mention that the Lastday is when you turn 21 in the book, not 30 as in the film. I'd want this put into the remake (Naturally, not all of actors would have to be <21; after all, York himself was over 30 when he made the original).
I was a teenager when this movie came out, and I really loved it. I'm not sure if a remake is needed, but another story set in this universe might be interesting.

Actually, if any of you have the inclination, go back and read the original novel (and both of its sequels). I think that it would make a far better movie. It it, the under-21 society is running the whole planet with only small patches of untamed Earth. It's a lot cooler than the movie in almost nearly every aspect.
Old 06-09-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they made this movie shot for shot and just updated the technology, the mpaa would almost defenetly give it an R rating.
Old 06-09-03, 07:20 AM

I could go for a remake, espeicially if it were more faithful to the book.
Old 06-09-03, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, the 70's: when naked breasts could appear in PG-rated movies for no good reason. God bless you "Logan's Run" for all you did for me!
Old 03-08-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks like Bryan Singer is going to direct a remake.

from www.moviepoopshoot.com:

"Bryan Singer will direct a remake of "Logan's Run" for Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver.

The sci-fi action film about a man trying to escape a mandatory death sentence on his 21st birthday is being fast-tracked to start production this year.

"I was drawn to X-Men" because of its universal issues of tolerance," said Singer. "This deals with a utopian society, but also with the obsession of youth and mortality. I've already started working with my 'X2' production designer, Gy Dyas, to create a visual world we've never seen before."

"The novel contains a great idea for a film, and Bryan has found a way to go back to it and use his technical abilities to make a huge sci-fi adventure film," said Silver.

Ethan Gross and Paul Todisco, with Singer, are penning a script, and the studio plans to release the pic in 2005. No stars have been cast as of yet.

The 1976 original pic, released by MGM, starred Michael York as a man who tries to outrun cops who kill everyone who reaches 30 to alleviate overpopulation. Singer and Silver are lowering that age to 21, as it was in the William Nolan novel, which means a showy role for a young actor.

Singer, who just signed an overall deal at Fox, is expected to tackle "Logan's Run" before he gets back to the "X-Men" franchise. (As reported by VARIETY)"
Old 03-08-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I keep repeating, remakes, not redux's. As long as you leave the original, you can do whatever you like.

And I'm very much looking forward to this with Singer attached.
Old 03-08-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by F For Fake
Ah, the 70's: when naked breasts could appear in PG-rated movies for no good reason. God bless you "Logan's Run" for all you did for me!
Yeah, it's a shame Janet Jackson has ruined it for everyone.

The original Logan's Run must now be banned to protect the children and a new dumbed-down version must be made to replace it.
Old 03-08-04, 12:38 PM

I voted Yes for the reamke, I think it would be interesting to see another take on this film almost 30 years later.

I have one MAJOR PROBLEM with the original story though;

In the original MOVIE they had to report for death at the age of 30 (if I am not mistaken) But in the STORY they have to report at 21. Now, how would this make sense? How could the society function up to this point? What could someone meaningfully contribute to their society by the age of 21?

By the time they knew anything useful, it was time to die.

Guess that future is filled with Keggers.

Like to know what someone who actually read the story has to say on this topic.
Old 03-08-04, 02:15 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
I voted Yes for the reamke, I think it would be interesting to see another take on this film almost 30 years later.

I have one MAJOR PROBLEM with the original story though;

In the original MOVIE they had to report for death at the age of 30 (if I am not mistaken) But in the STORY they have to report at 21. Now, how would this make sense? How could the society function up to this point? What could someone meaningfully contribute to their society by the age of 21?

By the time they knew anything useful, it was time to die.

Guess that future is filled with Keggers.

Like to know what someone who actually read the story has to say on this topic.
Well, the citizens really aren't supposed to do anything useful, since society is run by computers. Given that premise, the age limit makes sense, because around 21 is when people might actually start questioning the way society is run, in enough numbers to make a protest dangerous. Bear in mind I haven't read the novel in 25 years, so I don't remember details.
Old 03-08-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
What could someone meaningfully contribute to their society by the age of 21?
Joan of Arc comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others.
Old 03-08-04, 04:42 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they've remade everything else, might as well do this one. I remember the TV show back in the 70s, that was pretty good as well.

Regardless a good remake is needed.
Old 03-08-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Jesus, I wonder how many people will think this is gonna be a movie about Wolverine?
Old 03-13-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Jesus, I wonder how many people will think this is gonna be a movie about Wolverine?
You know, I wonder if that will actually cause a problem? Then they'd try to call it Sandman or something, and piss off fans of that indy comic or whatever of the same name.

I honestly think that could confuse and piss off people.
Old 03-13-04, 10:01 PM

Glad to see that Singer is attached... should make for an interesting film.

I'm game.

... but I think I'll find the book and give it a shot. I like the concept of going to "The Carousel" at 21 instead of 30.

Just keep Josh Hartnet out of it. Might be an interesting role for Topher Grace.
Old 03-13-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think 30 makes much more sense - the original film is nearly 30 now... and I think people aren't grasping maturity as quickly as they used to. I think (speaking as someone who is now 30 and who would be dead either way) that alot of people who grew up watching the original film would be put off by the age change. It never hurts to at least be aware of your audience. I think the 25 + crowd would get more out of this remake than the <20 crowd. If it was a hot book that everyone was reading, I could see keeping it at 21 to be faithful, but since the book is cold and the film is probably whats in most moviegoers minds, going with that change would be better. Plus - it opens up the casting considerably. At least then we don't have to have Tara Reid or Macauly Culkin or whoever just stepped off the Disney channel boat. I'd rather see more mature actors tackle this.
Old 03-15-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read he book after seeing the movie and I think the book is a hundred times better. I hope they go back to it for the new movie and don't try to remake the original movie or go in a third direction.

And for those of you who don't know, the novel ended up spawning two sequels, both interesting reads.
Old 05-26-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Would you remake "Logan's Run" with today's technology?

For those that approved:

'Logan's Run' back on track with new director Carl Rinsch
By Borys Kit

“Logan’s Run” might be getting a new pair of legs with Carl Rinsch, who is in talks to direct Warner Bros.’ long-in-development sci-fi movie being produced by Joel Silver.

Rinsch is a huge name in the commercials world who’s been looking to make a move into features for quite some time. He was to make his debut with the “Alien” prequel before producer Ridley Scott decided he wanted to helm that himself, and is attached to direct “47 Ronin” for Universal, which has been in development for several years. But he firebranded himself into execs’ foreheads in April when “The Gift,” the short he made for electronics company Phillips, zipped around town.

The sci-fi oriented “Gift” blended realistic robots, a Moscow setting, and a city chase and caught the attention of many execs, who wanted to adapt it into a feature. The process for an adaptation was stymied however since Phillips owns the rights to the short but the enthusiasm for the short reignited Rinsch's race for a feature career.

“Logan's Run” is best remembered as the 1976 film starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter and Farrah Fawcett, though it was based on a 1967 novel by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. The premise sees a future society that demands the death of everyone upon reaching a certain age. Anyone who veers from that destiny is dubbed a "runner" and is hunted by operatives known as Sandmen. Logan is a Sandman who is forced to go on the run.

The project had been set up at Warners since the mid-'90s but heated up in 2004 when Bryan Singer signed on to develop and direct with an eye toward a 2005 release. Singer had begun previsualization work on the project before he bolted to do "Superman Returns" for the studio. "Flightplan" director Robert Schwenke and James McTeigue were helmers that had been associated with the project, while Joseph Kosinski came attached to it in 2007. (Kosinski has since been busy with “Tron Legacy.”)

“Run” still has a ways to travel before getting to the screen as Warners’ next step after Rinsch’s hiring will be bringing on board a new writer to pen a new script.

Rinsch is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-26-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool short.
Old 05-26-10, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very cool short...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.