Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Soul Survivors: did someone actually get paid to make this?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-06-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

After reading so much about this alleged travesty with a lesbian Eliza Dushku as its only upside, I decided to give this a rent.
1.5 hours later I am scratching my head and saying WTF?!? I wound up having to go to moviepooper.com to find out what the ending meant, and when it confirmed my suspicions, I felt ripped off.
What's sad is movies like these are constantly getting made and called horror movies. They are horrible movies, not horror! I also noticed that the writer was also the director. Did he actually get paid to write and direct this crap? Also, the commentary where Melissa Sagemiller strokes her own ego didn't help my perception in any way whatsoever.
How do movies like this get greenlit and made? This is the kind of crap that could end careers, if there were any authentic ones that weren't brought about by nepotism I guess.
Old 06-06-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eliza Dushku
Soul Survivors
Old 06-06-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie is so awful. Just plain horrible.

NO PLOT. I meaan it, there is NO plot, simply not there.

Just lame.
Old 06-06-03, 07:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
The movie was pretty dreadful.
Old 06-06-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
I could be mistaken, but didn't John Carpenter's son direct this?

Could have been much better. I liked how free-roaming the movie was. Plot isn't terribly inportant to me. There was definatly too much alternative/industrial music for my taste. And a lot of the attempts to suprise and scare just fell flat.

He's no worse than Jake Scott (Ridley Scott's son).
Old 06-07-03, 02:10 PM
Banned

I tried watching this but turned it off in the next 45 minutes, I didn't watch the whole thing.
Old 06-07-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stephen Carpenter? Doubt it's John'd son, would be in trivia part in IMDB biography.

I doubt anyone makes worse movies than Stephen Carpenter. I really would not purchase Soul Survivors for 1 cent. I would not want it for free.

I wasted 100 mins of my life on this dreadful garbage, this abomnation of horror, this shameful manifestation, this robber of life.
Old 06-07-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

Actually, John Carpenter himself did say he had a son that directs his own movies.
Old 06-07-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw this in the theater I was thinking that it was one of those films that was a good idea in the script phase, and then the studio got a hold of it and cut it down and it ended up being totally different from what it intended to be.

After a viewing on dvd, it's still sort of a crappy film that has decent atmosphere and a somewhat interesting premise, but whatever the true intentions of the filmmaker were lost in the final translation as the film is still muddled and the ending was
far from satisfying.

And the director is not john's son.

Stephen carpenter, the director of soul survivors, also directed one of my favorite slasher films from the 80's, The dorm that dripped blood, a film in which it still remains one of my favorite endings of a horror film.
Old 06-07-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Someone should have lost their job after this bad film...
Old 06-08-03, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot stress this further. This be not a movie, this be manifestation of evil.

I mean this literally: No story was present. So many events and happenings made NO sense AT ALL. Like tha ridiculous priest Jude and being sent back in time. NO SENSE.

This abomination has NO PLOT and makes NO SENSE.

It makes Goodburger look like the Godfather. Ghost Ship like The Shining.

Never before has the world seen such a godawful movie.

There's a reason for it being on the bottom 100 list. A very good reason. IT SUCKS.

Go here http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0218619 and read Alexa's review, goremaster's review.

In point of fact go to the other pages and read the review. Most point out how their simply was no story present.
Old 06-08-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought this was dreadful.
Old 06-08-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

John Carpenter has only one child: a son with his former wife, actress Adrienne Barbeau. His name is Cody Carpenter, and he was born in 1983. Stephen Carpenter was old enough to have been making feature films in 1983. He is not related to John.
Old 06-08-03, 12:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love horror, and I will happily sit through awful ones. Urban Legends: Final Cut? Bring it on! Freddy's Revenge? Sure thing! But Soul Survivors? I made it maybe halfway through. And I love Eliza. I can stand bad acting, cheap effects, recycled slasher plots, and more, but I can't take boring. It probably didn't help that I had already read reviews that said it had a strong Jacob's Ladder influence, so I figured where they were headed. But then again, I know the plot of every slasher movie and still enjoy the ride. The screenplay was dreary... about a half hour of plot stretched to feature length, and the director thought he could just fill the gaps with 'atmosphere'. Umm, not this time. And the characters... ugh. I would've even preferred the typical smartass 'hip' kids to these losers.
Old 06-08-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Soul Survivors: did someone actually get paid to make this?

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
After reading so much about this alleged travesty with a lesbian Eliza Dushku as its only upside, I decided to give this a rent.
I'm a big Eliza fan also, and was suckered into this (as a blind DVD purchase) like everyone else. What a disappointment!

I thought Julia Stiles... uh... Melissa Sagemiller was pretty good in it, though.