Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Galaxy Quest DTS not decoding properly on Sony Sony DVP-S500D player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey peeps.

I asked this question over in the Talk forum and wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this issue with Galaxy Quest. I've tried both versions of the DVD (started with DD and then traded it in for DTS after the problem hit). BOTH versions only come through as stereo - even with the DTS or DD setting selected from the menu.

SUPA Funky. I mean, I have a pretty extensive DVD collection and I've NEVER encountered this before. Kinda puzzled...

Anyhoo, Here are my specs:

DVD PLAYER - Sony DVP-S500D
RECEIVER - Sony DA555ES

Anyone have a similar issue or know where I can get help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the digital connection (coax or toslink) connected? Is it turned on? on my samsung, I have to select a digital output. As far as the reciever, once againg is the digital connection connected and selected? Is it just this movie, or all your dvds? Also, are you selecting the dts tract on the disc before playing the film.
Old 06-06-03, 10:55 AM

All good questions.

Everything is hooked up well and selected properly and this is the first DVD to give me this trouble. I think we've deduced that it may be my first generation Sony DVD not able to decode DTS or switch to DD.

I tried my Jaws DTS and it decoded to DD surround, so it may be some incompatible encoding translation between galaxy quest and my DVD player.

anyhoo - we're gonna try to test it out on a different player and see what's da haps

thanks!