Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Stupid Progressive Scan Player Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I tried to search for the answer but I cannot find it. I apologize for the dumb question but I do need the help. I have a 36 inch Sony KV-36FS13 TV. Would a progressive scan player give me a better picture on this TV or am I wasting my money? I want to buy a 300 DVD changer and I need to know if I should buy the progressive scan changer or buy an almost new non-progressive scan one for less than half the cost from a good friend of mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 06-05-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read the sticky thread at the top of the forum, "HDTV Myths, Misnomers, and Mysteries." Also read the "DVD and Home Theater Hardware FAQ." Really. You should read it. If you read it, you wouldn't be asking this question. We have that thread at the top so people don't need to clutter the forum with the same types of common questions over and over. Please read it!
Old 06-05-03, 09:30 AM

from what I can see, that tv supports only 480i resolution, so having a progressive DVD player for the purpose of using it in progressive mode wouldn't work, as this set wont decode the higher resolution. You could still get a prog player and just use it in interlaced mode, until down the road when/if you decide to get a tv with progressive decoding - but the present cost might not be worth it because as HDTV and prog scan become more the norm, the prices will drop dramatically.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-03, 10:56 AM

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I did read those threads Joshic, I just did not understand them. Thanks for the answer goatweed, I greatly appreciate it!!!!!