Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

question about concert behavior

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious, why do crowds go nuts when performers use profanity????? if you're at a concert and the lead signer uses the f-word, do you scream louder? if so, why?!?!
Old 06-05-03, 02:11 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Because dropping an F-bomb is the number 2 technique in the Pump Up a Crowd Handbook.

Number 1 is, of course, mention the city you're playing in by name.

You know you're dealing with one of the all-time greats when he can combine these strategies: Alright, Boston, are you ready to f***in' rock?!

Old 06-05-03, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,145 Posts
First of all most of the crowd is High and pumped on Adrenaline.

At a concert, the performer could fart and get a wold scream.
Old 06-05-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Lots of teenagers at concerts.
Old 06-05-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question. I think there are a lot of factors that influence "crowd mentality" on a psychological level.

* The need to fit in and conform with your environment-he's yelling so I might as well too! Woot! Rock on dude!
* The rebellious nature of rock music
* The age of the crowd-the younger the crazier, teenage angst in its rawest form.

Perhaps the biggest factor though:
ALCOHOL
Old 06-05-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't twisted sister get in trouble in the 80's when some kids parents sued over Dee using the f word.
Old 06-05-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 370 Likes on 239 Posts
I took my 10 year old to see Matchbox 20, and though they cussed, it didn't bother me (nothing she hasn't heard.) What did bother me was the way they came out for their encore smoking cigarettes. It didn't seem necessary (couldn't they have a quick drag in the back and then come out?). I thought it seemed like an endorsement for smoking. At 10, my daughter thought it was gross. I bet at 16, she'd be more likely to think . . . hmmm . . . Rob Thomas smokes . . . cool.

tasha
Old 06-05-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I was hoping that the question was going to be about people insisting on talking loudly throughout an entire show, because then I was going to spend a half an hour typing up a huge rant. That's probably my biggest concert pet peeve.
Old 06-05-03, 02:30 PM
Suspended

I've never noticed this ****ing behavior?
Old 06-05-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Nobody rocks like...

[looks at note on back of guitar]

Springfield!
Old 06-05-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by inVectiVe
Number 1 is, of course, mention the city you're playing in by name.[/i]
Or as Jerry "The King" Lawler would say...it's a "cheap pop", especially whenever Mick Foley/Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love would say "Right here.....in Miami Florida!" JUST to hear the crowd scream.

Too funny.

EDITED to play off of Jason's post (and Tap reference): "Rock 'n roll! Alright Cleveland!" Oh wait, this isn't it....which way to the stage?

Last edited by harpo787; 06-05-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by GoVegan
I was hoping that the question was going to be about people insisting on talking loudly throughout an entire show, because then I was going to spend a half an hour typing up a huge rant. That's probably my biggest concert pet peeve.
Same here .. I also thought this thread would be about people keeping up a full conversation throughout a concert. Something I truly detest. I have turned to f-wits to tell them they are missing out on a good concert.
Old 06-05-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 370 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally posted by Saxofonix
Same here .. I also thought this thread would be about people keeping up a full conversation throughout a concert. Something I truly detest. I have turned to f-wits to tell them they are missing out on a good concert.
Worse is constant shrieking. And having the girl behind you, between random shrieking saying things like, "Oh Rob, we love yououuuuuu," while the object of her affection is singing.

tasha
Old 06-05-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GoVegan
The only thing that satisfies that is when someone actually confronts the person. When I was at Sigur Ros, this guy blew up on a girl and went on this huge rant about how "there are 5 senses," holds fingers up to demonstrate, "and this [concert] is an experience for at least 4 of them," bringing one finger down to demonstrate. I'm still at a loss as to what he really meant, but it was funny nonetheless. And all while Sigur Ros was still setting up too...even though the girl did talk throughout Album Leaf.
Old 06-05-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw Smashmouth and The Wallflowers at a free concert, yay, front row. Anywhoo, Smashmouth's lead singer used the "F" word copiously and it was fine with me. The "F" word is my favorite word. I love that word.

He also said that he knew that I had drugs but that's a different story.
Old 06-06-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tasha99
I bet at 16, she'd be more likely to think . . . hmmm . . . Rob Thomas smokes . . . cool.
I bet not. Every 16-year-old I know thinks smoking is stupid. And all the 16-year-olds I know are trying to set themselves apart from the pack, make themselves unique. Conforming to something a pop-rock star does is the last thing most would want to do.