Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Reciver Best Buy carries?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-04-03, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Im looking to upgrade my reciver and have the wife's go ahead thanks to Best Buy's 12 month financing special.

Which is the best reciver you can get at Best Buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/HomeAudioVide...1&cat=3&scat=4

I am leanning towards the Yahmaha htr-5590, but the Kenwood VR-7070 looks good as well and is a bit less expensive.

Thanks for any advice that is given
Old 06-04-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it was me, I'd put away $100 a month for 5 months and buy the Outlaw receiver. But if you have to have something now, I'd get the Yammy over the Kenwood.
Old 06-04-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd consider the Yamaha 5660 as well. You'll save about $300 and not give up much of anything. Plenty of receiver for a great system. The Yammies have really nice sound modes too.
Old 06-04-03, 11:13 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.onecall.com and grab the H&K 525 refurb at around $545 trust me it will be better than anything you find at best buy. If I was in the market for a receiver under $1000 it would be that one.
Old 06-05-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It would be Yamaha.

There are many other stores both online and retail that have better product with financing.
Old 06-05-03, 06:53 AM

You are right

You guys are right I was a little over anxious. What would you recomend in that price range either online or B&M Store? Which online stores have decent financing plans?

I do want the 6.1 DTS ES features, 100W a channel is more than enough for me so I dont need preouts or anything like that for an external amp
Old 06-05-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get a Marantz SR5300 or SR6300....they should be around $500-$600 new. Heck, I'll even sell ya my SR5200 from last year for $325 so I can upgrade to the SR6300 hehe Seriously, get a receiver with real power and parts inside, not chip amplifiers and other electronic garbage. If a Kenwood or Yamaha receiver says its 100wx6, that means its more like 70watts on one channel, 90 on another etc, nothing is constant. Yo could even go with a Denon 1603 or 1803 or something. But get them at authorized places, not online!
Old 06-05-03, 10:27 AM

Get a Denon or an Onkyo. Forget about Yamaha and JVC. Both Denons and Onkyo are known for their performance and will last you a long time and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Old 06-05-03, 11:15 AM

As many times as I've looked, there's never been any receivers at Best Buy that I would be happy with. Good Guys also occasionally has extended financing options and they carry some better stuff, like Denon.
Old 06-05-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

best buy and good guys always disappoint me. i dont care for the equipment sold there. you can get a damn good integra receiver for about $600 or do like poster above said and get an Outlaw for the best bang for the buck! Only neg about outlaws are the looks.
Old 06-05-03, 03:39 PM

I worked at Best buy for several months and I can tell you that Best Buy is good for the average joe who walks in and wants average equipment. Its dumbed down so to speak. If you going to spend your money, buy something nice from online or check out circuit city, they have much higher end stuff then Best Buy.
Old 06-05-03, 04:31 PM

I am leanning towards the Yahmaha htr-5590...
FYI: It's virtually identical to the Yamaha RX-V1300 and would have identical quality parts (i.e. FE Mica caps, polypropylene film caps, Ployethylene Telephthalate caps, etc.) that improves the HT & 2-channel sound! Read my RX-V1300 subjective review @ HT Spot.

Phil
Old 06-08-03, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by discostu1337
Seriously, get a receiver with real power and parts inside, not chip amplifiers and other electronic garbage.
Exactly!!

Back in the mid 80's I had a Pioneer "Black Magic" system and thought there was nothing that sounded better. I was dead wrong!! My cousin went overseas to work in a power plant and needed to store his old Pioneer system (bought back in the early 70's) somewhere. I agreed to keep it for him while he was away. I swear that old Poneer reciever had to weigh about 60-80lbs!!

One day I was bored and decided to hook his reciever up to my speakers and compare the 2 systems. I couldn't believe the sound clarity difference between his and mine. His just completely blew mine away. I just figured it had to be that high current amp that made the difference. It was funny cranking his reciever up and watching the lights in my bedroom dim a little.

I never could get my cousin to sell me his system. (sigh)

From then on I've only bought high current amplifiers and recievers. It does make a difference. Just go to CC and try out different recievers on the same speakers and you'll hear the difference.
Old 06-08-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've been happy with my yamaha 992 for several years now...even though it doesn't do dts. they make an excellent product. but, if i was buying a new receiver today i'd go with a denon. hands down they sound better when listening to music. now if you are primarily going to be using it for home theater the yamaha is fine.
Old 06-16-03, 10:59 AM

I'm still ticked I missed out on an open-box Yamaha 5590 a few months ago when Best Buy was running that "extra 25% off all open box home theater" sale. Crap, could have had the 5590 for $430. Although I have heard that Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Outlaw, among others, make much better receivers than most of the brands we see in mass retail places like Best Buy, I think I'd be happy with a Yamaha, especally if I could find it for something like that price again. The Kenwood is another story; I can't believe they replaced the 6070 with the 7070 and STILL left it with piddly bandwidth on the component video switching. Un-freaking-believable!!!
Old 06-16-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Caliking
best buy and good guys always disappoint me. i dont care for the equipment sold there. you can get a damn good integra receiver for about $600 or do like poster above said and get an Outlaw for the best bang for the buck! Only neg about outlaws are the looks.
While I am VERY happy with my Outlaw 1050 I should point out that it doesn't handle DTS 6.1, just DD 6.1. DTS 6.1 tracks are played as DTS 5.1. (The original poster mentioned that he wanted DTS 6.1 ES.)

Specifications for the Outlaw 1050, $499, as a .pdf file.

Last edited by lizard; 06-16-03 at 12:14 PM.