Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How's the new Sugar Ray cd?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-04-03, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anybody picked it up. I haven't liked a cd by them since floored. I really hope that someday they make a a cd at that musical level again. To me, they are nothing but sellouts since they had a big hit with "Fly"
Old 06-04-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it's about the same as their last album... fluffy summer pop songs... it's not half bad for a fun pool party album, but certainly not as musically enjoyable as Floored... it's got the fun rock/pop vibe but it certainly isn't a memorable piece of work...

MATT
Old 06-04-03, 06:39 PM

Thanks Matt! Sounds like one I'll pass on.
Old 06-04-03, 07:02 PM
Registered

I won tix to Matchbox 20 and Sugar Ray so I saw him in concert last night. I have to say his new stuff sounded pretty flat. I'm not a huge fan of his so I may not be the best judge but a lot of the new songs are for lack of a better word 'uninspired'
Old 06-05-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts
Hi gkleinman, I was there too with my daughter. She loves Sugar Ray and with the middle school set, I'd say SR is a lot cooler than Matchbox 20 (but what do they know?).

I'd agree that the new album isn't all that great, but it's not that bad either. I won't turn the radio off when songs from the album come on (which is saying something, but I won't turn the volume up either.

tasha
Old 06-05-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like the first 2 albums like I do, you'll hate the newest one. Its even inferior to 14:59 which was pretty bad. I bought it for 4 dollars, listened to it for maybe 4 minutes and sold it.
Old 06-05-03, 03:40 PM

I liked the first 2 albums too. 14:49 was turn for the worse so if it's worse than that, I am for sure passing on this one. Sucks what fame can do to a band...damn "fly" song!!!
Old 06-07-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lemonade and brownies was in my walkman during many a trip through the snowboarding halfpipe in 93-94...
Old 06-08-03, 05:27 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I didn't hear about these guys until "Fly" came out, so they've never been sell outs to me.

I liked 14:59 quite a bit, and their self titled CD was even better for me. I really liked the nostalgic tone of a lot of their songs.

Unfortunately, I found this new CD to be something of a let down. There are only two good songs (Chasing You Around and Mr. Bartender) in my opinion, and they aren't really even that great. Their version of Is She Really Going Out With Him is not exactly bad, but it's kind of uninspired too. In fact a lot of the songs feel that way. On the previous two CDs I thought they had a lot of punch and life in their songs, but on this one, it feels like they're only halfway done writing them.

Not a complete waste, but don't expect much either.

I think I need to listen to their first two CDs though. Everyone seems to think they're really good.