Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the last few episodes of Firefly?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-04-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, there were still a few episodes that were unaired when FOX canceled the show. I thought I read (possibly from Joss Whedon) that the remaining shows would be aired somehow.

Old 06-04-03, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I do remember somebody saying something to that effect (Whedon or somebody from ME or Fox), I don't think it was meant. It's just one of those things they say (Much like how every show ever canceled is really beloved by the network, but it just couldn't find its place), because it's the appropriate way to talk.

With the show having been off the air for so long, burning the extra two or three episodes off during the summer is probably not going to happen.

The unaired episodes are set to show up on the upcoming DVD set, so you will be able to buy or rent them.
Old 06-04-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
The unaired episodes are set to show up on the upcoming DVD set, so you will be able to buy or rent them.
Can't wait for that!
Old 06-04-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was this show in full or widescreen??..I can`t recall

Cheers!
Old 06-04-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has a DVD set for Firefly been announced? If so, I didn't realize it. I would buy the set just to hear the tribute song about Jayne again.
Old 06-04-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, the show was in widescreen.
Old 06-04-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Those episodes just went poof into thin air. Since there's been a lot of grumbling about the DVD I'm begging FOX won't air them over the summer. We'll just have to wait.
Old 06-04-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by shanester
Was this show in full or widescreen??..I can`t recall

Cheers!
IIRC, the pilot episode "Serenity" (which was actually aired last), and the second episode "The Train Job" (which was aired first, as if it were the pilot) were broadcast in 16:9 on the regular Fox channel. All of the other episodes were 4:3, except on the Fox digital channel.
Old 06-04-03, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Has a DVD set for Firefly been announced? If so, I didn't realize it. I would buy the set just to hear the tribute song about Jayne again.
No release date announced, but we know it's in the works. Nathan Fillion (Mal) mentioned, in an interview, that he and the Alan Tudyk (Wash) had just done commentary for "War Stories", and that he and Whedon were going to do commentary on the two-hour pilot the Monday after the interview.

Since it's going to be 15 episodes total, 3 of those unaired, I'm hoping for an MSRP somewhere around $40. Much more than that, and I'll probably give it a pass. It wasn't exactly the greatest show ever, but it was pretty entertaining. I'd like to be able to watch the series in the correct order, and see if that makes it better.
Old 06-05-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info.

I have the 12 aired episodes on my computer already and I'm curious to see how the 3 unaired episodes are. I can't imagine the DVD set being in the $40 range. That's pretty high, IMHO.

I think Fox is too quick to yank shows off the air. I guess Firefly didn't get really good ratings, but what do they expect for a Friday night? Oh well.

Old 06-05-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking that $40 might be a bit low. I am trying to thing about other hour long shows that have seasons of about 15 episodes, but all that I can come up with are HBO shows, and they are outrageously priced anyway. But if you look at shows like Buffy, which have almost twice the episodes, maybe it is about right. Doesn't matter, I would likely pick it up regardless.
Old 06-05-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

24 is "only" $43.16 on DDD for 24 episodes...which comes out to about $2 an episode.

Alias is $45.36 on DDD. I'll assume there are about 24 episodes of Alias, as well.

I would venture a guess that both 24 and Alias are more popular than Firefly was. Therefore, I think it would be difficult to justify a $40 price tag for 15 episodes.

Old 06-06-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most shows have 22 show seasons. "24" is obviously an exception to this.
Old 06-06-03, 04:37 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jlbkwrm said he hopes for msrp around $40. I think Buffy, 24, and Alias have msrp's of $60.
Old 06-06-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
Jlbkwrm said he hopes for msrp around $40. I think Buffy, 24, and Alias have msrp's of $60.
Great point. I read that, but somehow it somehow didn't register in my brain.

Old 06-06-03, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by nny
Quick nitpick: She.

And, I got the $40 MSRP ballpark because Buffy's first season (12 episodes) is $40 MSRP. It's the same studio, and close to the same number of episodes, so I'm hoping for that price range.
Old 06-07-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
The three unaired episodes are to be aired in the UK on the channel that bought the rights to the show.

Also, they will be on the DVD set as well, due out this fall/winter. The show will be presented as WS on the DVD set, as they shot the show intending for WS. I'm hoping they will include the gag reel that has circulated the net as well.

After FOX dropped Firefly, creator Joss Whedon initially tried to shop the show to other networks, but couldn't find any takers. Undeterred, he has since persued making a Firefly feature film. The prospects for the feature film seem very positive, as odd as that may seem.
Old 06-07-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Most shows have 22 show seasons. "24" is obviously an exception to this.
A standard television season can range anywhere from 22-26 episodes, depending on how many the network wishes to pick up.
Old 06-07-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jay G.
The three unaired episodes are to be aired in the UK on the channel that bought the rights to the show.
Wow, I didn't know that. Lucky Brits.

Also, they will be on the DVD set as well, due out this fall/winter. The show will be presented as WS on the DVD set, as they shot the show intending for WS. I'm hoping they will include the gag reel that has circulated the net as well.
Cool. I haven't seen the gag reel, though, maybe I'll try looking for it...

After FOX dropped Firefly, creator Joss Whedon initially tried to shop the show to other networks, but couldn't find any takers. Undeterred, he has since persued making a Firefly feature film. The prospects for the feature film seem very positive, as odd as that may seem.
A feature film? Whoa. Has that ever happened? I mean, has a TV show that got prematurely canned before even completing its first season ever been made into a movie?

Old 06-07-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A standard television season can range anywhere from 22-26 episodes, depending on how many the network wishes to pick up.
No doubt. Doesn't Enterprise have a 26-show season? But predominantly, most shows do 22-show seasons because they can get away with it.
Old 06-07-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

A feature film? Whoa. Has that ever happened? I mean, has a TV show that got prematurely canned before even completing its first season ever been made into a movie?
Not just one movie, but three. The Naked Gun series was based off the short lived TV series "Police Squad."

So it's not without precident, but it's still odd.
Old 06-08-03, 11:17 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For an even more extreme example, Mulholland Dr. never even aired as the pilot it was intended as, but became a feature film.
Old 06-08-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I haven't seen the gag reel, though, maybe I'll try looking for it...
Almost forgot, I should give you a warning about the gag reel:

The gag reel is assembled from all the episodes shot, including the unaired ones. One lengthy outtake on the reel is a spoiler for an unseen episode, so skip past from 8 minutes in to 10 minutes in.
Old 06-08-03, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by MrN
For an even more extreme example, Mulholland Dr. never even aired as the pilot it was intended as, but became a feature film.
true but Lynch knew going in that ABC would never air the pilot as he shot it. Basically he used Eisner's network to fund a better part of a movie he knew he would never be able to make otherwise. Kind of like that in a guy. Anyway, I have high hopes Whedon can get a Firefly movie off of the ground. Who knows, maybe it will be a big hit and leads into a Firefly back on TV on a weekly basis.
Old 06-08-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
true but Lynch knew going in that ABC would never air the pilot as he shot it. Basically he used Eisner's network to fund a better part of a movie he knew he would never be able to make otherwise.
Not true at all.

If this were his plan, it would make him the worst businessman in the world. It took Lynch two years of fighting to get the rights for the pilot footage he shot away from ABC, and then to find separate financing to complete the movie.

Lynch shot the pilot episode for ABC because he was promised creative freedom, and was assured that times had changed since they screwed him over on Twin Peaks. He was foolish enough to believe them, and the rest is history.

Lynch wanted to make a new long-form narrative. The ending to the feature version is something that he came up with only after-the-fact.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.