Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Cards as Weapons book

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cards as Weapons book

I am looking for anyone that has a copy of Cards as weapons written by Ricky Jay, If someone does not want to part with there copy would they be able to make me a copy or know somewhere that has one. Please let me know.
Old 06-03-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Yowza! They start at $250! I remember when it came out! Naturally, I didn't buy it. Looks like no one did.

www.bookfinder.com
Old 06-03-03, 10:12 PM
Needs to provide a working email

http://half.ebay.com/search/search.j...rds+as+weapons

Also, on abebooks.com and bibliofind.com.

Heck of an expensive book, though.
Old 06-04-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good luck. I've been trying to acquire one for less than $250 for years now. A long time ago, you could get them on ebay, but everyone snapped them up and now tries to sell them for more than they paid, so the prices steadily increase every time an auction goes up.
Old 06-04-03, 10:03 AM
Banned

I was going to start calling local used bookshops. I wonder how rare these really are..I am sure there has to be some sitting in some salvation army bookshelf. Did you know that the same guy as in the david mamet films. He is the guy in heist that says " he so calm sheep count him"
Old 06-04-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a great book this would be to have...a rumor is that Ricky Jay doesn't want the thing to go back in print so he can sell off his own stock for mucho dinero.
Old 06-04-03, 09:53 PM

So, what's so great about this book that people are willing to pay out of the wazoo for a copy?
Old 06-05-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ricky Jay is one of the world's most celebrated card mechanics and can do amazing things with throwing cards. This is the foremost treatise on the subject. He can launch one into a watermelon, he's the one who taught Ed Norton the boomerang trick in Rounders, his distances are amazing.

It's just one of those esoteric skills that some of us are interested in and not many people do it, let alone write about it. It's been out of print for years and there aren't many copies to go around anymore.
Old 06-05-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here, save yourself some money.
Old 06-05-03, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Caoimhin

It's just one of those esoteric skills that some of us are interested in and not many people do it, let alone write about it. It's been out of print for years and there aren't many copies to go around anymore.
Before this thread, I had never even HEARD of throwing cards. The only instance I was aware of in that skill was an X-Men character I have seen reference to that was introduced after my comic-reading years.
Old 06-06-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be Gambit.
Old 06-06-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
We had card fights in high school. It's a lot of fun. This was in the late 70s, so we were probably inspired by Ricky Jay. One of my friends played classical guitar and so had amazingly strong hands. He once stuck a card into a wooden door. I could occasionally toss it through the basketball hoop from the center line of the high school court.
Old 06-06-03, 04:42 PM
Banned

Update on my quest.....I have found a copy....it is in a small town library that I dont live near....its about 5 hours away..anyway here is my plan. I am going to try and have them sell it to me. If they don't I will have to break out the camo...drive down there and snatch it. yeah, i know its wrong but the lady said it hasnt been checked out since 96 so no one should miss it.
Old 06-06-03, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ShaftJenkins
Update on my quest.....I have found a copy....it is in a small town library that I dont live near....its about 5 hours away..anyway here is my plan. I am going to try and have them sell it to me. If they don't I will have to break out the camo...drive down there and snatch it. yeah, i know its wrong but the lady said it hasnt been checked out since 96 so no one should miss it.
How about finishing your story.....

After snatching a crummy book the librarian calls the cops. She somehow got a good look at your face and someone remembers your car and a few numbers from your license plate. Before you know it you see there's a trooper with his lights on following you on the highway. A night in jail, a court date and a record.

All for a book.

Since we don't allow ANY discussion of illegal activity here on the forum, I'm going to assume that your post is just some wacked out fantasy born out of frustration.

There are actual web sites out there devoted to Throwing Cards:
http://www.geocities.com/JonWeddCardsAsWeapons/ and I'll bet if you really work at it you'll come up with a LEGAL way of obtaining this book.
Old 06-06-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wait...

he threw them into watermelons?