DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Old School Reviews?

chrismcg
06-02-03, 08:54 PM
I'm looking forward to this one so much.. has anyone got a review handy?

Rypro 525
06-02-03, 09:13 PM
none yet but just to let you know, the only way to get this movie in widescreen (2:35:1 to be exact) is to get the unrated version which is about 3 min longer.

Rypro 525
06-05-03, 01:50 PM
There's one on here, and this dvd also has a commentary from Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and the director. It also has unrated menus as well (kind of like van Wilder.)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6537

MasterCXtreme
06-06-03, 05:00 PM
thanks, I cant wait for it either.

calhoun07
06-06-03, 11:45 PM
I feel like I am one of the few people who really didn't care for this movie, but they did put quite a bit of care in the DVD. If you're a fan of the movie, it's a must buy. If you're thinking about a blind buy, rent it first.

JaxComet
06-08-03, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by calhoun07
I feel like I am one of the few people who really didn't care for this movie, but they did put quite a bit of care in the DVD. If you're a fan of the movie, it's a must buy. If you're thinking about a blind buy, rent it first.

I agree. I can't think of any reason to ever see this again.....Very average.....

chrismcg
06-09-03, 06:48 PM
That's why they don't hold a gun to your head when you walk into a DVD store :D

Skull
06-09-03, 09:08 PM
I thought the movie was very funny. Will Ferrell is hilarious.

Carl Spackler
06-09-03, 11:51 PM
I think the first half of movie was very funny. After that, it got kinda dumb.

But, with the extras on this I think it's a good $14.99 DVD to add to your comedy collection.

Turd Ferguson
06-11-03, 09:13 AM
I bought it blind, watched it last night and loved it. Like any good brainless comedy, you'll remember it more for specific bits than the plot, but some of the specific bits are the funniest I've seen in a long time. Will Ferrell is great in this.

"Blue! You're my BOY!"

zak52
06-11-03, 11:41 AM
I would give this a 6/10. It had some funny bits in it but they were too few and far between IMO. I think it's a good rental but I wouldn't pick it up.

Venom
06-11-03, 02:30 PM
my god. i am glad i rented this. there were many positive posts in the movie forum when this came out, i almost went to see it theaters. it's just not very funny. will ferrell is great and can usually get me to laugh no matter what but not enough to make this movie worth it. the extra spoofing inside the actors studio is pretty funny though, assuming you know the show. i actually laughed out loud a few times, so imho it was more enjoyable than the movie.

the nudity mentioned on the menu isn't exactly like van wilder. it just shows a few clips in a small box from the movie.

B.A.
06-11-03, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Carl Spackler
I think the first half of movie was very funny. After that, it got kinda dumb.

But, with the extras on this I think it's a good $14.99 DVD to add to your comedy collection.
The first half of most comedies is the best part, the trick is keeping up the pace in the second half. Though the second half of the film wasn't near as good as the first it didn't suck. (Same thing w/ Super Troopers - great first half, okay second half.) It would have helped if the trailers didn't ruin the gymnastics scene involving Vince Vaughn. That was a classic scene that would have been even stronger if the whole country hadn't scene it in the trailer months before-hand.

I am intrigued by the commentary track myself. Can't wait to listen to it when I finally get around to picking it up.

uteotw
06-11-03, 04:16 PM
I found the movie hilarious.
As for the DVD, the picture is excellent and for a mainly dialogue-driven movie the DTS sound comes across very nicely.
There's some pretty funny extras, too.
Overall, for $14.99 it was an excellent purchase.

myrdh
06-13-03, 10:36 AM
Blue Rocked!

Tee
06-14-03, 03:50 AM
Loved it!

Old School (http://www.electronicreality.co.uk/reviews/old_school.php)

Draven
06-14-03, 01:37 PM
I liked it too. Mostly because there wasn't really any "gross out" comedy. It was just funny.

That's why I like Super Troopers as well.

collven
06-15-03, 01:33 AM
My wife and I were both crying from laughing so hard during a couple of different scenes during this movie. I got it as part of my last CH membership, so definitely a good blind buy for under $7.00.

Red Dog
06-16-03, 10:42 AM
This was a blind buy for me this weekend. It was okay. I probably should have rented it because 1 viewing would have been sufficient.

PalmerJoss
06-16-03, 03:49 PM
The first half of the movie was absolutely frickin' hilarious! After that it seemed liked it turned into a rehash of Animal House which, while it isn't a bad thing, I think Will Ferrell could have come up with something better.

Jonny2k1
06-16-03, 05:04 PM
I thought it was funny, but I was still somewhat disappointed. It was almost a blind buy for me until I decided to rent it first...definitely glad I rented it first. I really didn't like the Will Ferrell and his wife part of the storyline - could have used Will for a lot funnier stuff.

chrismcg
06-17-03, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I thought this one was pretty good

Old School Review (http://www.dvdork.com/publish/oldschool_ws.shtml)

jarofclay73
06-18-03, 01:03 AM
I didn't like it as much as Todd Phillips' other movie "Road Trip." I'm not buying it.

PalmerJoss
06-18-03, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jarofclay73
I didn't like it as much as Todd Phillips' other movie "Road Trip."

Agreed. I love Road Trip and that's the main reason I bought the DVD. I will hang onto it because it was funny, but not great by any means.

MikeM
06-26-03, 03:07 PM
Here's another review to throw into the mix:
Old School Review (http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161)

I thought it had some funny lines, but I don't think I'm going to buy it.

tasha99
06-26-03, 07:21 PM
I just watched this last night and was really disappointed. There wasn't a single scene that made me laugh out loud, and though someone had told me it was comparable to Dumb and Dumber, I didn't think so at all. There were a lot of references to other movies, mostly in the music, and that was kind of fun, but not enough to make it worth watching.

tasha

sherm42
06-27-03, 12:53 PM
I agree. I bought this as a blind buy and immediately sold it to a friend at work the next day. Not a very good movie in my opinion. Didn't really laugh at all.

matome
06-27-03, 03:54 PM
Have to agree the first half was laugh-out-loud hilarious. But after that it turns into another one of those underdogs-fight-all-odds flicks (though the debate scene with the Ragin Cajun was great).

indycohiba
07-05-03, 01:49 AM
Great for a rental with friends, but I don't see myself watching it again. Some of the jokes worked well but too many did not, IMHO.

Face/Off
07-09-03, 03:21 AM
What was in the extra 2 minutes? The only version that was at the video store to rent was the R one.

C_Fletch
07-09-03, 04:32 PM
More of Will Farrel's ASS....enjoy. :)

jekbrown
07-09-03, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by JaxComet
I agree. I can't think of any reason to ever see this again.....Very average.....

i agree as well... i thought this was gonna be a good fun turn-the-brain off movie and while it wasnt a total turd is was very mediocre. :-(

j

Julie Walker
07-10-03, 09:34 PM
I was extremely disappointed with the film as well. Glad i did not bother buying it. Brothers rented the unrated widescreen version. Thus i watched it for free..& would'nt want it any other way:)

I thought it suffered from the same faults as other so called comedies made today like American Pie & it's ilk. Suffers from not being funny enough,since they seem to take everything so seriouslly & try tossing in phony morality to appear respectable & smarter than they are. They forget the most important thing with these types of films...which is to go all out & have FUN with the material!

Instead i barely laughed at all. Some parts were mildly amusing. Yet compared to better party comedy classics like Animal House,Bachlor Party,Porky's,The Cheerleaders,even the PG-13 PCU,..or just plain unPC comedy heaven like Used Cars. The film fell far far behind in the humor/entertainment department & left me bored & let down.

+ for a party comedy. They barely tackled that aspect..& seemed to shy away from it as much as possible. Then toned down everything else,rather than going for broke with chances of nudity..& just pure mindless comedy fun.

If you liked the film,good for you. Hope my little post did not destroy your opinion on the film. Just a little qualm i have with movies that try to pass themselves off as sex/party comedies today,but play it to safe & boring. The edge needs to be returned to comedy. Alittle grossout gag does not make it daring,alittle brief breast shot does not make it worth seeing(this film & the AP films suffer from that)..& forgetting to have fun with the material does not make a comedy.

Hopefully the future humor fans will save this genre from the bowles of political correctness sucking any fun possible out of the films.

LiquidSky
07-16-03, 12:57 PM
The movie had a few funny moments. On a whole, I would give it a 4/10.