Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Trading Spaces -- EXPOSED!

Rogue588
06-02-03, 05:21 PM
Like Farscape, my girlfriend was the one that made me start watching this show. After catching a number of eps, I noticed something that could blow the lid off of life as we know it...

After the designers finish whatever work they can on day 1, they leave the homeowners "homework" then leave.

A brief musical interlude plays, then the screen says Day 2.

Yet, when the designer walks back in...they're wearing the SAME CLOTHES!! And so are the homeowners!!

We're being bamboozled fellow Trading Spaces fans/DVD talkers! This could be the biggest lie since JFK!...or Area 51!!...or the landing on the Moon!!

They're trying to make us believe that the show takes place over two days!! I saw we protest this lie and stop watching!!

Who's with me?? :p

[Or they could be very smelly while wearing the same clothes...;)]

TeeSeeJay
06-02-03, 05:25 PM
They usually edit the two days together, and they wear the same clothes for the sake of continuity. No big conspiracy.

Draven
06-02-03, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Rogue588
Like Farscape, my girlfriend was the one that made me start watching this show. After catching a number of eps, I noticed something that could blow the lid off of life as we know it...

After the designers finish whatever work they can on day 1, they leave the homeowners "homework" then leave.

A brief musical interlude plays, then the screen says Day 2.

Yet, when the designer walks back in...they're wearing the SAME CLOTHES!! And so are the homeowners!!

We're being bamboozled fellow Trading Spaces fans/DVD talkers! This could be the biggest lie since JFK!...or Area 51!!...or the landing on the Moon!!

They're trying to make us believe that the show takes place over two days!! I saw we protest this lie and stop watching!!

Who's with me?? :p

[Or they could be very smelly while wearing the same clothes...;)]

Old news. They do it for editing purposes, so that if they have to use something from a different day they can. Most of the stuff is chronological though.

Back to Area 51 and that fishy Moon Landing.

Groucho
06-02-03, 05:27 PM
I thought you were going to say the opposite...that they took longer than 2 days. Or maybe that they don't really stick to the budget.

neiname
06-02-03, 05:27 PM
What I would love to see is how the rooms look in a month because of the shoddy methods they use in constructing the rooms. While I admit what they do looks pretty good at the end there is no way it will last because it has been thrown together in such a short period of time and not made to last.

johnglad
06-02-03, 05:41 PM
They actually use 3 days during some of the shows due to setup, coming up with designs, etc. but all the work is supposed to be done in 2 days (or so I have been told).

Caliking
06-02-03, 05:44 PM
trading spaces exposed...most of the "new" rooms that they design are uglier than my toilet bowl after thanksgiving!

I would never let those people touch my rooms. my wife loves the show but she tends to agree that most of the time the designs suck! once in a while i will admit...i like. not too often though.

Boot
06-02-03, 05:56 PM
Damn, I was hoping for some Paige or Amy Wynn "exposed" pics. :mad:

dstrauss
06-02-03, 09:28 PM
If you want some behind the scenes bitching about Trading Spaces, you can always read this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48543-2003May28.html).

Pistol Pete
06-02-03, 11:41 PM
Another tidbit: each couple has 2 off-camera "production assistants" who do most of the work.

DVDGUY1116
06-03-03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by johnglad
They actually use 3 days during some of the shows due to setup, coming up with designs, etc. but all the work is supposed to be done in 2 days (or so I have been told).

My wife is hardcore into this show. So much so that she bought that companion book that gives bios and pics on all the designers and stuff. In that book it mentions that the show is taped over 3 days(2 of which are work), about how the production assistants do a lot of the work and that the designers really don't leave but stay and help with the "homework," and that the designers, carpenter, and host wear the same clothes over the 2/3 day period. Paige picks out most of the clothes as a lot of her "job" is to shop for clothes! Actually, the book has a funny story about how Paige ruined a shirt shooting Day 1, during a show in Rhode Island I believe, and that the production assistants had to call all the Gaps across the state to find an exact match for that shirt in Paige's size.

I don't really like this show but I an forced to watch it. I got bored one day and looked through the book to see if I could find any pics of Paige, Amy or Gen exposed. No luck :(.

Meatpants
06-03-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dstrauss
If you want some behind the scenes bitching about Trading Spaces, you can always read this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48543-2003May28.html).

I may not be crazy about the design that was done, but what those people changed it back to is MUCH worse. If you have no sense of style or design whatsoever, why would you go on that show? Those people obviously enjoy Value City and KMart, can't get enough of those paisley couches and cheap end tables! :p

Brain Stew
06-03-03, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Meatpants
I may not be crazy about the design that was done, but what those people changed it back to is MUCH worse. If you have no sense of style or design whatsoever, why would you go on that show? Those people obviously enjoy Value City and KMart, can't get enough of those paisley couches and cheap end tables! :p

:yack:

OMG THAT IS AWFUL!

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I48824-2003May28

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I48791-2003May28

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I49299-2003May28

Boot
06-03-03, 11:04 AM
MEATPANTS: Those were my thoughts exactly.

caligulathegod
06-03-03, 11:08 AM
The worst had to be the time they glued hay to the walls. The same woman spraypainted a couch hot pink.

Boot
06-03-03, 11:10 AM
And the same woman (Hildi) glued plastic flowers all over a bathroom wall.

Josh Z
06-03-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
My wife is hardcore into this show. So much so that she bought that companion book that gives bios and pics on all the designers and stuff.

Does it mention anywhere in the book that Paige's new husband is flamingly homosexual, and that somebody really needs to tell the woman?

Tscott
06-03-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Josh Z
Does it mention anywhere in the book that Paige's new husband is flamingly homosexual, and that somebody really needs to tell the woman? No, but it mentions that his last name is Page, so if she were to switch to her new married name she'd be Paige Page. :lol: (BTW, her full name now is Mindy Paige Davis-Page)

Boot
06-03-03, 11:29 AM
Paige Page is better than Mindy Paige Davis-Page. :whofart:

grunter
06-03-03, 11:52 AM
Damn - no nude shots of Frank to be found here whatsoever!

Oh, how you people tease.

So cruel, so cruel.

jonw9
06-03-03, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Boot

It is actually worse than that. They actually used a pneumatic stapler to attache the flowers to the wall. The scenes they showed the poeple were using 2 staples per flowe.

2 holes per staple X 2 staples per flower X ~6000 flowers = 24000 holes in your bathroom wall!! -eek-

das Monkey
06-03-03, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Boot •<HR SIZE=1>Damn, I was hoping for some Paige or Amy Wynn "exposed" pics. :mad: <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here ... I had visions of <I>Seven Lives X-posed</I> ...

das

Meatpants
06-03-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Josh Z
Does it mention anywhere in the book that Paige's new husband is flamingly homosexual, and that somebody really needs to tell the woman?

Ya think? ;)

http://www.paigedavis.com/photos/WeddingWithSophie.jpg

bboisvert
06-03-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Boot

And stapled LP records all over a wall of an individual that had given no indication that she liked music at all... I love Hildi. She does what she wants. And the home owners be damned. ;)

SleepyW
06-03-03, 03:48 PM
First of all, While You Were Out is WAY better than Trading Spaces. Theresa Strasser is a much cuter host, and you can't beat Leslie and Andrew's dirty looks at the designers.

Second, the worst Trading Spaces design i saw was the short-haired female designer than made someone's room look like a cemetary, complete with white picket fence and a bedspread made out of green astro-turf. Sleep on it or play golf - it's your choice.

Rogue588
06-03-03, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SleepyW
First of all, While You Were Out is WAY better than Trading Spaces. Theresa Strasser is a much cuter host, and you can't beat Leslie and Andrew's dirty looks at the designers. I was going to start a thread on this show too, but I got too lazy...[happens easily..]

Theresa is :drool: AND they CHANGE clothes TOO!! ;)

Oh, and I love when Leslie & Andrew gang up on that blonde chick designer...a couple times I thought Andrew was going to lay the smackdown on her..

grunter
06-03-03, 04:32 PM
First of all, While You Were Out is WAY better than Trading Spaces. Theresa Strasser is a much cuter host, and you can't beat Leslie and Andrew's dirty looks at the designers.

Nope. Gotta disagree there. Vehemently.

"While You Were Out" is unbearably annoying. The cheesy multiple choice game show aspects of the show just sink the whole concept. The designers have zero personality - especially that wispy euro-trash looking wallflower, with his 70's era mullet comprised of nothing but blonde split-ends and his wardrobe consisting of nothing but too-small-for-his-frame thrift store t-shirts. The strained reasons to get the "loved ones" out of the house so the designers can "re-decorate" are tired. The carpenter needs some serious mood-elevating drugs.

And I'll get to the other reasons why this show positively grates on my nerves . . .

. . . but not YET . . . .

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Rogue588
06-03-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by grunter
And I'll get to the other reasons why this show positively grates on my nerves . . .

. . . but not YET . . . .

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :lol: My brain's on auto pilot while Theresa's doing this...i'm just admiring her and tuning the rest out. ;)

What's the matter grunter, Andrew not enough of a bear for ya? :p

clemente
06-03-03, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
My wife is hardcore into this show. So much so that she bought that companion book that gives bios and pics on all the designers and stuff. In that book it mentions that the show is taped over 3 days(2 of which are work), about how the production assistants do a lot of the work and that the designers really don't leave but stay and help with the "homework," and that the designers, carpenter, and host wear the same clothes over the 2/3 day period. Paige picks out most of the clothes as a lot of her "job" is to shop for clothes! Actually, the book has a funny story about how Paige ruined a shirt shooting Day 1, during a show in Rhode Island I believe, and that the production assistants had to call all the Gaps across the state to find an exact match for that shirt in Paige's size.

I don't really like this show but I an forced to watch it. I got bored one day and looked through the book to see if I could find any pics of Paige, Amy or Gen exposed. No luck :(.

A lot of retained information for someone who is "forced to watch the show":)

And While You Were Out stomps Trading Spaces anyday of the week because of one thing.....Leslie Segrete.

I'd take her over a combo of the TS girls.
Not that I watch these show for babes....well not entirely.

The designers on WYWO don't really have a strong personality, but that why Theresa, Andrew, and Leslie are there.

DVDGUY1116
06-03-03, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by clemente
A lot of retained information for someone who is "forced to watch the show":)

I know what you mean. I have this weird ability to retain a ton of info after reading it just one time. Weird! ;) :)

I am usually working when Trading Spaces comes on but not all the time unfortunately. I have never seen While You Were Out...and I am sure I do not want to.

Pharoh
06-03-03, 11:05 PM

And While You Were Out stomps Trading Spaces anyday of the week because of one thing.....Leslie Segrete.

I'd take her over a combo of the TS girls.
Not that I watch these show for babes....well not entirely.

The designers on WYWO don't really have a strong personality, but that why Theresa, Andrew, and Leslie are there.

Agreed completely. But I would take the first host of WYWO over Theresa. Can't remember her name though. :(

Wonder if Theresa is still writing her dating column?

Brak55
06-05-03, 12:05 AM

Yes, but...but...what happened to Leslie? Last week's and this week's "new" episodes have some blonde woman as the second carpenter instead. Did that one designer see how much Leslie hated her and get her fired?

hgar78
06-05-03, 01:49 AM
Second, the worst Trading Spaces design i saw was the short-haired female designer than made someone's room look like a cemetary, complete with white picket fence and a bedspread made out of green astro-turf. Sleep on it or play golf - it's your choice.

i think that's the new girl, kia. she's very strange and i don't think she understands the show's restrictions quite yet. plus i don't think she's liked by many of the others. i recently read an interview with ty the carpenter and they were asking him about the other designers. they mentioned kia and his response was something like "i'm not going to talk about her."

edytwinky
06-05-03, 02:10 AM

PREACH ON!

bboisvert
06-05-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by hgar78
i think that's the new girl, kia.

Yep, she's the absolute worst by far... I've yet to see a single thing she's done that's even remotely acceptable.

Kia, at the start of each show: "What this room needs is... a wallpaper border!"

Tscott
06-05-03, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bboisvert
Yep, she's the absolute worst by far... I've yet to see a single thing she's done that's even remotely acceptable.

Kia, at the start of each show: "What this room needs is... a wallpaper border!" Agreed. I HATE Kia.

She doesn't think things through- like the episode where she hung the bed from the ceiling. First, is anyone going to be able to sleep on the thing? Then, she had no clue what needed to be done to hang it. She figured if she had 4 chains and some hooks it'd be done in five minutes. Ty had to explain to her that someone had to go into the attic, find the right studs where it could be hung and build supports. And every episode I've seen with her has been like that. Like the fiberglass pyramid fountain that leaked and smelled so they couldn't use it after spending 2 days working on it.

Also, everything has to have a "Theme" (with a capital T), like Egyptian, Greece, African, etc., which she then uses the most cliché elements (note: you can have an Egyptian feel without resorting to pyramids and hieroglyphics.) I feel sorry for all the homeowners she's done rooms for, she has no idea what would be practical for them- in fact, does Kia even know that people are going to have to live in the room after she leaves?

grunter
06-05-03, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by edytwinky
PREACH ON!

Clearly I've walked into Bizarro DVDTalk.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can recognize "While You Were Out" as the cheesy, inferior "Trading Spaces" knock-off that it is.

And don't even get me started about that originating British non-show: "Changing Rooms."

*gag*

clemente
06-05-03, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Brak55
Yes, but...but...what happened to Leslie? Last week's and this week's "new" episodes have some blonde woman as the second carpenter instead. Did that one designer see how much Leslie hated her and get her fired?

Fear not!
She took a vacation while they were shooting and since they shoot multiple episodes a week it appears that's she gone longer than she actually was.

Sadly, tomorrow's new episode is Leslie-less.

As for Kia, my god, if she showed up at my house, I'd call the show off, piss on the walls and consider my house better for the experience.

damn_skippy
06-06-03, 12:25 AM
I have met frank a couple of times and he is a cool guy exactly like he is on the show. He even took time out to talk to my wife on the phone.

I have met doug also and i thought he was going to be kind of an ass but he was even more down to earth than Frank was.

BizRodian
06-06-03, 02:36 AM
Kia is a disaster, yeah.

I liked the episode where you could tell Ty was getting REALLY pissed off... one of the home owners (a guy) and Ty were NOT getting along. Ty broke something to do with mirrors or something and then went on about how it wasn't secured properly, but you could tell the guy TOTALLY blamed Ty for it, it was funny.

As for While You Were Out. It's different... I don't like it anymore or any less then the other show... however, the designers do have very little personality compaired to Trading Spaces.

AndyCapps
06-06-03, 10:08 AM
I love the show, but I usually like the way the room looked before they destroy it. Ty would be a handy guy to have around.

"Man, it would be sweet to have a DVD shelf like this."

"Dude, give me a few hours. I've got some **** to do for Vern, but between that and my photo shoot I'll throw that together for you."

There was one episode of While You Were Out where I actually liked the design. They made this funky guitar stand that was neat.

Khalid
06-06-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tscott
Agreed. I HATE Kia.

Ditto. She is the worst. Don't forget the episode where they were on a military base. A military couple said they wanted their living room to be someplace where they could get away from their "work." Kia designed the room with camflouge (sp?) fabrics and wallpaper trim (no surprise) and made curtains with parachute material. What the hell was she thinking? Total moron.

Jadzia
06-06-03, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by grunter
Clearly I've walked into Bizarro DVDTalk.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can recognize "While You Were Out" as the cheesy, inferior "Trading Spaces" knock-off that it is.

And don't even get me started about that originating British non-show: "Changing Rooms."

*gag*

Clearly, I've walked into Bizarro DVD Talk.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can recognize "Trading Spaces" as the cheesy, inferior "Changing Rooms" knock-off that it is.

"Changing Rooms" is so much better than "Trading Spaces." The host, the designers, Handy Andy, the rooms, the music, it's all better plus no cheesy staged Trading Spaces antics.

BizRodian
06-06-03, 05:20 PM
Must agree, Changing Rooms is also easier to watch at 30 minutes, you don't get bogged down so much.

Giantrobo
06-06-03, 09:37 PM
Well, its like the Nature shows. do you really believe they just "happened upon" the very animal they were looking for?

Remember the controversy over Jaques Custeau animal treatment a few years back? One of his sons admitted to the following...

They said in one scene(and I remember this seeing this as a kid.it was creepy) where an Octopus was shown to crawl out of a bucket, onto the deck, and over the side? Well, they had actually poured <b>Bleach</b>into the bucket with the animal and so -OF COURSE- it started crawling out :lol:

BizRodian
06-07-03, 11:21 PM
Who saw tonight's episodes? maybe they were repeats, I'm not a huge watcher of the show... but tonight they were hilarious!

First was the British one... Paige going totally nuts with the slate! haha! that one woman who was worried about the resale value and upset at the walls was pretty funny. Could she be any more bitchier during the reveal? The whole baby puke comment was not needed. She could have just said she didn't like it. She was being very passive aggressive... which is typical British (I'm from England myself) which is funny, since she was American.

The best part of this show however, was the reaction of the two little girls! the funniest thing I have EVER seen on this show! they looked TOTALLY devistated at what had happened to their rooms. They just stood there, FROZEN, with this look of total horror and sadness on their faces! truthfully, I think they went about it the wrong way... I'm sure the kids liked their room, but they were just little kids, and probably had no idea what happened to all their old stuff. The room looked empty, and before it was full. That's the real reason they looked so upset.

Dvdsky
06-08-03, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Jadzia
"Changing Rooms" is so much better than "Trading Spaces." The host, the designers, Handy Andy, the rooms, the music, it's all better plus no cheesy staged Trading Spaces antics.

I haven't seen that many Changing Rooms episodes (I don't get BBC America), but huh? Most of the designs on there haven't done anything on there for me. And the music? Changing Rooms has the absolute worst music I've ever heard on a TV show.

To be fair, Trading Spaces has its problems too. The staged antics, as you said. The constant plugs for Lowes during the show. The fact that we all know that what we're seeing doesn't necessarily have much to do with what really happened...

namrfumot
06-09-03, 11:56 AM
I like Leslie's tattoo..... :drool:

Jadzia
06-09-03, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dvdsky
I haven't seen that many Changing Rooms episodes (I don't get BBC America), but huh? Most of the designs on there haven't done anything on there for me. And the music? Changing Rooms has the absolute worst music I've ever heard on a TV show.

The Trading Spaces music sounds like some kid playing with his bass guitar.

The Changing Rooms music is much more upbeat and fun. I love the "finishing the room" montage music the best.

And as far as the designs go, the CR rooms always look completely different, where often the TS rooms just look like the walls were painted or something (I'm thinking of Laurie and Frank's designs mainly.)

BizRodian
06-09-03, 04:35 PM
I find on Changing Rooms, the people are more honest.

grunter
06-09-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by BizRodian
Who saw tonight's episodes? maybe they were repeats, I'm not a huge watcher of the show... but tonight they were hilarious!

The British episode of Trading Spaces has the distinction of starring the only person - out of the many that have been on the show - that I can say I outright HATE.

That sour, selfish, ex-patriate spinster who is apparently satisfied with nothing and no one just makes my skin crawl.

CharlesC
06-09-03, 06:48 PM
Did you see the other episode?

They dropped (actually broke a leg off) a piano! One that had been in the family since the depression!

BizRodian
06-09-03, 11:17 PM
Actually two legs I think... they showed that clip about a thousand times... it wasn't just the legs though... they PUSHED it, and the legs GAVE IN, the piano tumbled over with a huge crash. I'm surprised the main body didn't crack

criptik28
06-10-03, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Tscott
Also, everything has to have a "Theme" (with a capital T), like Egyptian, Greece, African, etc., which she then uses the most cliché elements (note: you can have an Egyptian feel without resorting to pyramids and hieroglyphics.) I feel sorry for all the homeowners she's done rooms for, she has no idea what would be practical for them- in fact, does Kia even know that people are going to have to live in the room after she leaves?

Agreed. The thing I don't like about Kia is that everything must be organized around a theme. Why can't she just go for something classy and elegant (like Vern)? Why does it always have to be cutesy and fancy and so damn_ugly? :)

Tsar Chasm
06-11-03, 05:41 PM
The designers on TS have 10 times the talent as those poseurs on WYWO.

In order of preference for me:

Vern
Edward (the new guy that used to be their sewing master)
Frank (please no chickens)
Laurie
Doug
Gen
Hildy
Kia

If it were my house and Hildy or Kia showed up, I would probably just walk the other way.

TS:Kids is a joke. No budget? Please. that's just dumb.
Monster House is definitely growing on me.

clemente
06-11-03, 10:25 PM
I don't, John Bruce on WYWO usually cranks out some sweet stuff. That Frank Lloyd Wright tribute room he did was spectacular.

Rogue588
06-11-03, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I gotta give him props too. I also like that bald British guy.

On a TS note...what did the homeowners of that piano do to Hildy when they found out what happened..?

BizRodian
06-13-03, 02:51 AM
I'm curious about that too. Of course they didn't say anything on the show... but I would be surprised if there wasn't some damage to the main body from when it fell over.

SleepyW
06-13-03, 09:02 AM
I think the WYWO designers have much more personality. I like the old British bald guy's "water features."

tali219
06-14-03, 03:14 AM
My favorite designer is Vern. I also like Edward, although they do not feature him often enough. Laurie, Doug and Gen I occasionally like but I would definitely stay away from Kia! Her rooms are so tacky-- I wish they would feature Edward more than Kia!

Jadzia
06-14-03, 12:52 PM
I think the garden makeovers on WYWO are lame. Those designers need to watch BBC's "Ground Force" to see how it's done. They hardly do any planting at all!

The WYWO garden "designers" usually just decorate the patio with pots and other cutesy crap but they don't do a complete landscape of the space a la Ground Force. It looks like the WYWO changes are merely cosmetic and not very dramatically different.