Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever player Shadowrun back in the day?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone ever player Shadowrun back in the day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever play Shadowrun back in the day?

Was for the SNES and Genesis..

I hope they bring it to the GBA, that would be SUH-WEET!

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 06-02-03 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
I loved the SNES version. The Genesis one sucked, tho. I remember how cool it was to level up your skills. Once you became a good marksman, you were unbeatable
Old 06-02-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they better bring it to the gba, damn it

I played the SNES one too, i been trying to find a copy off ebay but i keep getting out-bidded at the last second, doh!
Old 06-02-03, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had both the SNES and Genesis versions, but liked the Genny one a lot better.
Old 06-02-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
they better bring it to the gba, damn it

I played the SNES one too, i been trying to find a copy off ebay but i keep getting out-bidded at the last second, doh!
there's always the alternate route, you know what way, but I didn't say nuthin'

Old 06-02-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was all about the tabletop rpg for several years - still have all the original sourcebooks actually. My fav character was this Cat Shaman i made..... never did play the video game though.

On a slightly related note has anyone seen the ads for the new Shadowrun tabletop war game that has figure kind of like Heroclix and Mageknight. It looks kind of interesting.
Old 06-02-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sounds cool
Old 06-02-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was the game where you had to deal with an evil computer called the matrix right?

Old 06-02-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrKen
This was the game where you had to deal with an evil computer called the matrix right?

Yep you jacked into the matrix using a deck or in rare cases could get these things implanted in your hand that let you jack "naked" into the matrix without the hardware of the deck protecting you. When jacking naked into the matrix all your attack and defense programs had to be created on the fly by writing the code as you went (from memory) and any damage done to your avatar in the matrix would deal physical damage through the feedback into your brain. Because of this jacking naked w/o the protection of a deck you could easily die.
Old 06-02-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both the SNES and Genesis version were good, although many people don't like the Genesis version even though it's actually closer to the source material (kinda like that Planet of the Apes remake...)

Anyone remember how at the end of Shadowrun for SNES they had a moniker that said "Shadowrun 2 coming soon"?
Old 06-02-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the Genesis version had me ininterested as soon as he started fighting animals in the jungle, lol.
Old 06-02-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved the Genesis version. I never got around to purchasing it, but I did rent it about 5 times. It was a really great game. I tried playing the SNES version, but realized that I didn't really care about it... so I stopped
Old 06-02-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just started playing in a shadowrun campiagn a few weeks ago. I am a dual natured shapeshifter.
Old 06-03-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the world Shadowrun created but the combat system in the tabletop game was horrible. Then again i was playing i think the first edition and i know they have released updated versions of the basic rules since then.... so have they corrected anything in the combat sphere?
Old 06-03-03, 10:41 AM

Wasn't there something about a bomb bing planted in your head in the SNES version?

I really enjoyed that game but never finished it
Old 06-03-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I loved the SNES version. The Genesis one sucked, tho. I remember how cool it was to level up your skills. Once you became a good marksman, you were unbeatable

I agree...loved the SNES version!!!!
Old 06-08-03, 09:56 AM

I loved the SNES version and won it. I never played the Genesis one. I was also a Shadowrun PnP player. I'm hoping to see a new version on any system, but I'd prefer a true RPG for the PC like Bioware's D&D games or the Fallout series. You'd think cyberpunk would be popular again. For true nostalgia, does anyone remember the Neuromancer computer game (which I had on the Apple IIc)? This was from William Gibson's source novel (a true grandfather of the entire subgenre), with a soundtrack by Devo.

Last edited by Mr. Gore; 06-08-03 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-08-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

all this talk makes me wanna break out the ol' SNES and play Shadowrun again lol
Old 06-08-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by xmiyux
I really like the world Shadowrun created but the combat system in the tabletop game was horrible. Then again i was playing i think the first edition and i know they have released updated versions of the basic rules since then.... so have they corrected anything in the combat sphere?

What, you don't like rolling 20d6 for every attack you make?

I don't know what is/was wrong with the combat, but they are up to 3rd edition, though much of it is OOP, and therefore available on Kazaa. I think FASA makes the sourcebooks these days.
Old 06-09-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoQuEr
What, you don't like rolling 20d6 for every attack you make?

I don't know what is/was wrong with the combat, but they are up to 3rd edition, though much of it is OOP, and therefore available on Kazaa. I think FASA makes the sourcebooks these days.
What i thought was bad about the system is how the damage was calculated and armor was done. You could be wearing a kevlar trenchcoat and someone could flatten round after round of ammo against you and do no damage. However, if you weren't wearing said coat, one shot from a pistol could straight out kills you. Now granted this is realistic but as far as playing a game goes it kind of sucked.
Old 06-09-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by remjim
Wasn't there something about a bomb bing planted in your head in the SNES version?

I really enjoyed that game but never finished it
the bomb was only part of the plot.
Old 06-09-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the combat system was really good for everything except magic users. It was very realistic, and when magic users paired off against augmented reflexes, the fight was often over before the magic user had a chance to do anything. This was somewhat corrected in the third edition rules.

Also, the combat system was cruel if you were a player, because no matter how powerful you got, a street punk with a lucky shot from a pocket pistol could still wipe you out. If you had problems with 'round after round' flatting against armor plate, perhaps you misinterpreted the rules. As a GM, the hardest time I had was keeping my players alive.

I'm trying to start up a campaign in Austin if anyone's interested.

And yes, I played the SNES version. Thought it paled in comparison with the actual game.
Old 06-10-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
I thought the combat system was really good for everything except magic users. It was very realistic, and when magic users paired off against augmented reflexes, the fight was often over before the magic user had a chance to do anything. This was somewhat corrected in the third edition rules.

Also, the combat system was cruel if you were a player, because no matter how powerful you got, a street punk with a lucky shot from a pocket pistol could still wipe you out. If you had problems with 'round after round' flatting against armor plate, perhaps you misinterpreted the rules. As a GM, the hardest time I had was keeping my players alive.

I'm trying to start up a campaign in Austin if anyone's interested.

And yes, I played the SNES version. Thought it paled in comparison with the actual game.
It is entirely possible we played the combat rules incorrectly - it was like jr. high when i actively played it.

I loved the world it created though with dragons ruling corporations and combining shamanistic magic with hermetic magic. I especially liked one module adventure they did called Harlequin - it was really cool.
Old 06-10-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harelquin was probably the best Shadowrun adventure set they ever created. The only problem is to run it properly, you have to run it inside a campaign. The adventures are great because they are all very short and tie in well together, but the gamers aren't supposed to know they come from the same book and they are supposed to be spaced out in between other adventures.

Harlequin became one of my (and my players) favorite NPCs. He was great to pull out when the players really needed help.
Old 06-10-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
Harelquin was probably the best Shadowrun adventure set they ever created. The only problem is to run it properly, you have to run it inside a campaign. The adventures are great because they are all very short and tie in well together, but the gamers aren't supposed to know they come from the same book and they are supposed to be spaced out in between other adventures.

Harlequin became one of my (and my players) favorite NPCs. He was great to pull out when the players really needed help.
I actually never ran more than two of the little subadventures out of it because i was trying to weave it into larger gaming sessions for maximum effect. Still now though i will pull it and re-read it for inspiration on adventures i'm writing (as in this is how a good adventure goes). I also kind of enjoyed Bottled Demon as a nice little one shot - and its premise is easily enough adapted into D&D or whatever other system you play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.