Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden - "Dance of Death"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As posted on their official website, www.ironmaiden.com

Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson took the band’s headlining performance at the Download festival as an opportunity to announce the long-awaited details of their new album. Iron Maiden are currently performing on their 'Give Me Ed...Til I'm Dead' Tour, headlining dates throughout Europe and the USA.

The new album, entitled 'Dance Of Death', is the band's thirteenth studio album and is due for release in September 2003. Work began on the album late in 2002 when Iron Maiden reconvened from a break to start putting the album together. They teamed up again with producer Kevin Shirley who co-produced their last album, ‘Brave New World’ with Steve Harris. The album was recorded and mixed at Sarm Studios in West London during the spring.

Kevin Shirley has been even more impressed working with Iron Maiden this time round. 'The band are so in sync with each other – it’s incredible. There is very little friction in the studio, and the sessions couldn't have been any more fun and productive, and they rock so ****ing hard too! It all augers well for the finished product, and whatever period in Maiden's history is your favourite, I doubt whether they've all played as together as this before.

“In the Zeppelin tradition of ‘Tight But Loose’, this is a band which moves - pushing the beat, pulling it back, and that's real rock! No click tracks, no ProTools computer tightening and manipulation - what you hear is what they play. I'm just saying it like it is, and Maiden are the last and the best of the naturally moving rock bands.”

Vocalist Bruce Dickinson is equally as pleased with the results on ‘Dance Of Death’. “I think ‘Brave New World’ was only a stepping stone to what we have managed to achieve on this record for everyone. Recording this album was almost like being back when ‘Number Of The Beast’ was recorded in that the speed and the energy that went into the writing and recording was phenomenal. Everything has come together on this album and I think everyone that hears this record will be moved in different ways from the epic sound of songs like ‘Paschendale’ through to the more heavy tracks like ‘Rainmaker’ and ‘Montsegur’. This album will open a lot of eyes and ears to the world or Iron Maiden.'

The full track listing is -

1. Wildest Dreams
2. Rainmaker
3. No More Lies
4. Montsegur
5. Dance Of Death
6. Gates Of Tomorrow
7. New Frontier
8. Paschendale
9. Face in The Sand
10. Age Of Innocence
11. Journeyman

The 11 tracks represent the work from all band members including for the first time drummer Nicko McBrain on the track 'New Frontier'.

Another first for the band is that the album has also been mixed to 5.1 Surround which will take those who have 5.1 Home Cinema to a whole new level of hearing the album. Comments Steve Harris, 'When I was working with Kevin on the audio for our ‘Rock In Rio’ DVD the whole 5.1 mixing process really opened my eyes to what could be achieved. I decided there and then that the new album had to be mixed the same way when it was finished. That's not to say that we wrote any specific songs which can only be heard properly in 5.1, I simply wanted to take the listener right into the middle of the studio so they could close their eyes and imagine themselves there. We've really managed to capture that feeling.'

Iron Maiden are also to release their ‘Visions Of The Beast’ DVD and VHS on Monday June 2nd . This Double DVD, which runs in excess of three hours of material, is the definitive chronicle of Iron Maiden through the years and includes many promo clips never previously available. Not only is every video the band has ever made included - 31 in total – but on the DVD version the bonus features include never-before-seen Camp Chaos animated versions of six classic tracks, interactive menus and discographies, and some special hidden extras.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait! Paschendale sounds like it'll be the epic that was talked about on the boards and at Kevin Shirley's website. He's producing the album, in case you didn't know.

Up the irons!
Old 06-01-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Up the Irons!
Old 06-01-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'm definitely VERY interested. "Brave New World" was their best album since "Seventh Son."

Can't wait until the "Visions of the Beast" DVD makes it to region one.
Old 06-01-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds great. Thanks for the news!
Old 06-02-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Thanks for the update
Old 06-02-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder what the plans are for releasing the 5.1 version? Will it be SACD, DVD-A, released the same day as the CD version?
Old 06-02-03, 02:51 PM

I believe that Kevin Shirley has said that it's going to be DVD-A.
Old 06-02-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Does anyone else not like the title?
Old 06-03-03, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by cdollaz
Does anyone else not like the title?
Actually, I love the title. It's good to see a metal band put out an album with a classic metal title! I'm am SO funkin anxious for this disc.

Up the Irons!
Old 06-04-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So since the PAL version of Visions is out, any reviews?
Old 06-04-03, 11:13 PM

Awesome news...very much looking forward to this!
Old 06-05-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Does anyone know when/if Visions of the Beast will come out on NTSC/Region 1 dvd?
Old 06-05-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to see IRON MAIDEN, MOTORHEAD, and DIO on August 2nd in Montreal !!!!! Whew Hoo!!!!
Old 06-08-03, 12:58 AM

Have you guys heard the new song Wildest Dreams yet? There are two live versions going around now. The first one from Spain, but you can't hear it well at all beccause somebody is talking over the music. The second version, and best version so far is from Donnington this past weekend. Not a top notch recording, but good enouph to here the song. I have both versions on MP3, and you can find me on KaZaa or WinMX. I would like to add that Maiden do not seem to mind this getting around. I downloaded it right from the Maiden BB. If on a P2P program, look for Iron Maiden - New Song Wildest dreams. Try to find the Donnington one.

I can't wait for the new album Dance With Death!!

And yes, there will be a North American release of Visions of the Beast in July. Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead!!

UP THE IRONS!!!
Old 06-08-03, 02:15 AM
Banned

Someone asked James Hetfield of Metallica why the band doesn't do songs like the ones from the Ride the Lightning / Master of Puppets era anymore. His response was that the band was older now, and couldn't do things like that.

James, allow me to point out that Iron Maiden has been playing longer than Metallica, and their CD "Brave New World" rocks just as hard as previous Maiden CD's and definitely harder than anything Alternica has done in over 10 years.

After listening to Saint Anger, I expect Maiden's new CD to blow it away as well. While Metallica is playing better on the new CD, Hetfield's voice is trashed.
Old 06-08-03, 10:18 AM

Here is a link to hear the new Maiden song live from the Rock Am Ring this past friday. The song is called Wildest Dreams.

http://www.zie.pg.gda.pl/~mlalak/wd.html
Old 06-08-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason that new song just doesn't really grab me. It's not terrible but almost sounds like filler. Seems to be missing that certain something that makes for the "epic Iron Maiden song". Of course that doesn't mean I won't love it when the album comes out (which I'm expecting will be amazing).

Mordred
Old 06-08-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I like it. It's a solid single - and that's what I'm betting that it is. It kind of reminds me of more Rock and Roll oriented old Rush musically, and Somewhere In Time era Maiden vocally.

It's a hell of a lot better than the new Metallica.

I can't wait for Dance Of Death.

UP THE IRONS!!!
Old 06-08-03, 02:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by cactusoly
I'm going to see IRON MAIDEN, MOTORHEAD, and DIO on August 2nd in Montreal !!!!! Whew Hoo!!!!
</small> Sounds like a great line-up!
Old 06-10-03, 01:23 PM

Excellent news!!!!! Anyone know if a single is in the works? Cover-art?
Old 06-10-03, 10:18 PM

The album will not be out untill Sept. , as far as the single, I've heard anywhere between the end of July or sometime in Aug. I'm guessing it will be the same song in the link above. As far as cover art, nobody knows yet. It's just to bad it won't be Riggs doing it. Right now I'm getting more songs from the same show that Wildest Dreams came from. By the way it was from the Rock Am Ring (Rockplast Fest) in Germany, not Donnington. I don't know why I put Donnington.

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!
Old 06-11-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit! I can't download it here at work for some reason.
Old 06-11-03, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by raiders757
As far as cover art, nobody knows yet. It's just to bad it won't be Riggs doing it.

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!
That sucks. Where did you read this?
Old 06-12-03, 06:46 PM

Riggs hasn't been doing Maiden covers for some time now. A guy named Melvyn Grant did the Fear of the Dark cover, as well as the Blaze era stuff. Here is a link to a great old thread in the Iron Maiden BB. It is an interview with Riggs

http://www.ironmaiden.org/bb/showthr...ighlight=riggs
Old 06-12-03, 10:59 PM

On the credits in the liner notes for "Brave New World" it states:

"Front cover artwork: Steve Stone/Derek Riggs"

I was hoping he was back doing covers for the band again. It seems he at least contributed to that cover, unless they are just crediting him with the Eddie design.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.