Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TCM spotlights Bollywood every Thursday night in June

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-01-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For both those who are already fans of Bollywood (Indian/Hindi) cinema, as well as those who might be interested in sampling it for the first time, TCM will be showing 12 classic Bollywood films in the month of June. Every Thursday night in June, TCM will be airing 3 Indian films. If I recall correctly, this is a one-shot deal as TCM negotiated rights for only a one-time airing (for now at least), so don't forget to set your VCR. Also of note to those unfamiliar with Bollywood, all these films have runtimes in the 2 hour 20 minutes to 3 hours + range (the norm for Bollywood films).

Among those being shown are the much-beloved classics Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (commonly referred to as "DDLJ") and Sholay. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is a romance starring India's most popular (from what I gather) actor Shah Rukh Khan. While the other film - Sholay - is sometimes likened to Bollywood's version of a spaghetti Western and stars one of Bollywood's all-time greats - Amitabh Bachchan (there are 2 different versions of Sholay (each with a different ending) and I'm not sure which version will be shown on TCM).

Note: If memory serves me right, both DDLJ and Sholay ran for approximately 5 years in Indian theaters.

Among those films being shown, I've already seen DDLJ (the main theme song is infectious and was stuck in my head for a week), Sholay, Bombay, and the modern-classic Dil Chahta Hai. Though it might go against popular opinion, I prefer Bombay as the best of the 4.

Of the films I haven't seen, I am most looking forward to Rangeela since it was directed by one of Bollywood's leading Directors - Ram Gopal Varma. If you enjoy gangster films, I highly recommend you seek out both Satya and Company (they are not being shown by TCM). Satya and Company are two of my all-time favorite Bollywood films (though I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Bollywood as I've just recently developed an interest).
I'm also looking forward to Amar Akbar Anthony as I'm a fan of Amitabh Bachchan.

If anyone here is a veteran of Bollywood cinema, I'd appreciate some insight into the older films being shown by TCM.

All films will be shown with English subtitles. The full schedule appears below:

Thursday, June 5th/Friday June 6th
8:00 PM Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
A young man follows the woman he loves to India to stop her arranged marriage.
Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Amrish Puri. D: Aditya Chopra. C 181m. LBX

11:30 PM Bombay (1995)
Religious unrest threatens the marriage of a Hindu man and a Muslim woman.
Arvind Swamy, Manisha Koirala, Nasser. D: Mani Rathnam. C 135m. LBX

2:00 AM Amar Akbar Anthony (1977)
Three brothers separated at birth come together to track a kidnapper.
Vinod Khanna, Rishi Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan. D: Mammohan Dasai. C 162m.

Thursday, June 12th/Friday June 13th
8:00 PM Rangeela (1995)
A young actress' rise to stardom is complicated by conflicting affections for her co-star and her childhood sweetheart.
Jackie Shroff, Aamir Khan, Urmila Matondkar. D: Ram Gopal Varma. C 143m.

10:30 PM Dil Chahta Hai (2001)
Three friends have their lives transformed by love during one marvelous summer.
Aamar Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna. D: Farhan Akhtar. C 185m. LBX

2:00 AM Sholay (1975)
A vengeful police chief forces two small-time crooks to hunt down the bandit who destroyed his family.
Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar. D: Ramesh Sippy. C 162m.

Thursday, June 19th/Friday June 20th
8:00 PM Pakeezah (1971)
A free-spirited young woman refuses a prince's proposal for love of a man she only met once.
Ashok Kumar, Meena Kumari, Raaj Kumar. D: Kamal Amrohi. C 146m.

10:30 PM Junglee (1961)
Young lovers defy the caste system to fight for happiness.
Shammi Kapoor, Saira Banu, Helen. D: Subodh Mukherji. C 140m.

1:00 AM Awaara (1951)
A bitter young man vows revenge on the two men who destroyed his mother's life.
Raj Kapoor, Prithvari Kapoor, Nargis. D: Raj Kapoor. BW 168m.

Thursday, June 26th/Friday June 27th
8:00 PM Mother India (1957)
A family struggles to survive the machinations of an evil moneylender.
Nargis, Sunil Dutt, Raaj Kumar. D: Mehboob Khan. C 174m.

11:00 PM Do Bigha Zamin (1953)
Family members risk all in a move to Calcutta to raise money and save their land.
Balraj Sahni, Nirupa Roy, Ratan Kumar. D: Bimal Roy. BW 125m.

1:30 AM Pyaasa (1957)
A young poet searches the world for pure love.
Guru Dutt, Mala Sinha, Waheeda Rehman. D: Guru Dutt. BW 139m.

EDITED TO ADD: dumb, dumb, dumb! I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. I've already asked a Moderator to move it over to Movie Talk.

Last edited by flixtime; 06-01-03 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post.......These would be all new to me...........I'll see if I can catch some.

BTW: I received your e-mail and sent a reply from my primary address. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 06-01-03, 05:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those with knowledge of these films, which is the most fun?
Old 06-01-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on what you consider fun, I guess.
JUNGLEE is a good, goofy 60s style romp, featuring lots of hip shakin tunes and starring Shammi Kapoor -- sometimes thought of as the "Indian Elvis." Does that qualify as fun?
Old 06-01-03, 07:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's exactly what I meant.. thanks!
Old 06-01-03, 10:28 PM

I have two versions of Sholay on DVD. One is 185 min and the other is 204 min. So, it appears that the version being shown on TCM has been cut somewhat. I personally like the longer version better.
Old 06-02-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
No Gumnaam? I was really really really hoping they'd include this. Ever since I saw the clip from Ghost World I've been dying to see this bollywood take on Ten Little Indians......but it's not on video in the U.S.
Old 06-02-03, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
No Gumnaam? I was really really really hoping they'd include this. Ever since I saw the clip from Ghost World I've been dying to see this bollywood take on Ten Little Indians......but it's not on video in the U.S.
Hi brizz, regarding Gumnaam, I think it should be readily available here in the U.S. via one of the online Indian e-tailers. Bollywood films are offered in the U.S. on R0 (I believe) DVD (they play in R1 DVD players). Just double-check to confirm it has subtitles. Another option, most metro areas in the U.S. should have some Indian grocery stores in the area; these stores usually offer Bollywood DVDs for rent (though they might not stock an older film like Gumnaam). The DVDs from a technical standpoint are sometimes lacking but they are usually rather inexpensive (approx. $10); I know films like Satya and Company which I mentioned earlier can be found for approx. $10. I'm in a bit of a rush now, but I'll look into it later on and let you know (unless someone beats me to it). Also, you can do a search in the International forum for "Bollywood" and it should give you at least 2 lengthy threads containing some background/discussion/reviews on Bollywood films (including mention, if I recall correctly, of a couple of the online e-tailers).

Vampyr, got your e-mail .
Old 06-02-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nice
Old 06-05-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

Just a reminder for those who might be interested, the first 3 films air tonight (Thursday).
Old 06-12-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

Tonight's schedule:

Thursday, June 12th/Friday June 13th
8:00 PM Rangeela (1995)
A young actress' rise to stardom is complicated by conflicting affections for her co-star and her childhood sweetheart.
Jackie Shroff, Aamir Khan, Urmila Matondkar. D: Ram Gopal Varma. C 143m.

10:30 PM Dil Chahta Hai (2001)
Three friends have their lives transformed by love during one marvelous summer.
Aamar Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna. D: Farhan Akhtar. C 185m. LBX

2:00 AM Sholay (1975)
A vengeful police chief forces two small-time crooks to hunt down the bandit who destroyed his family.
Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar. D: Ramesh Sippy. C 162m.

Also did anyone check out last week's films (perhaps, for some, a first-time viewing of a Bollywood film)? Thoughts?
Old 06-12-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by LarryB
I have two versions of Sholay on DVD. One is 185 min and the other is 204 min. So, it appears that the version being shown on TCM has been cut somewhat. I personally like the longer version better.
Running times at the TCM web site are notoriously inaccurate. I advise anyone taping this movie to set their VCRs for 4 hours just in case they show the long version.
Old 06-12-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just caught Rangeela; enjoyed it very much. I thought it was a lot of fun, fast paced, and had some funny moments too. to TCM for this film series and to flixtime for this thread.
Old 06-19-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

Tonight's schedule:

Thursday, June 19th/Friday June 20th
8:00 PM Pakeezah (1971)
A free-spirited young woman refuses a prince's proposal for love of a man she only met once.
Ashok Kumar, Meena Kumari, Raaj Kumar. D: Kamal Amrohi. C 146m.

10:30 PM Junglee (1961)
Young lovers defy the caste system to fight for happiness.
Shammi Kapoor, Saira Banu, Helen. D: Subodh Mukherji. C 140m.

1:00 AM Awaara (1951)
A bitter young man vows revenge on the two men who destroyed his mother's life.
Raj Kapoor, Prithvari Kapoor, Nargis. D: Raj Kapoor. BW 168m.

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
Just caught Rangeela; enjoyed it very much. I thought it was a lot of fun, fast paced, and had some funny moments too. to TCM for this film series and to flixtime for this thread.
I taped Rangeela (lost about 5 minutes in the middle due to a power failure) but haven't watched it yet.
Thanks for the kind words NavinJohnson; it's always a pleasure running into you here at the forum. Thanks too to all who have participated in this thread.
Old 06-19-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I like Indian food and movies. Bollywood is very cool
Old 06-19-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I like Indian food and movies. Bollywood is very cool
Hot buttery Naan, Tandoori Chicken, a little lime and onion - good stuff! Now I'm hungry.
Old 06-19-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally posted by flixtime
Hot buttery Naan, Tandoori Chicken, a little lime and onion - good stuff! Now I'm hungry.

Hmmm, Nan...Chicken Tikka Methi, Lentil wafers and a hot Indian girl singing a High Pitched Love song
Old 06-19-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Hmmm, Nan...Chicken Tikka Methi, Lentil wafers and a hot Indian girl singing a High Pitched Love song
Good call on the Chicken Tikka; it's boneless and easier to eat (vs. Tandoori Chicken). Too bad we're not getting sales commission on all the DVDTalkers who might be running to Indian restaurants for lunch today. I'm seriously considering it myself. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Tasty, tasty.
Old 06-26-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

TCM's monthly spotlight on Bollywood ends tonight.

Following is the schedule:

Thursday, June 26th/Friday June 27th
8:00 PM Mother India (1957)
A family struggles to survive the machinations of an evil moneylender.
Nargis, Sunil Dutt, Raaj Kumar. D: Mehboob Khan. C 174m.

11:00 PM Do Bigha Zamin (1953)
Family members risk all in a move to Calcutta to raise money and save their land.
Balraj Sahni, Nirupa Roy, Ratan Kumar. D: Bimal Roy. BW 125m.

1:30 AM Pyaasa (1957)
A young poet searches the world for pure love.
Guru Dutt, Mala Sinha, Waheeda Rehman. D: Guru Dutt. BW 139m.