December 02 [p6]
November 02 [pt5]
Aug - Oct 02 [pt4]
Jul - Aug 02 [pt3]
April 02 [pt2]
Whatcha' Reading Part 1

Originally posted by mwj
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

I just started A Game of Thrones this week, and it really is too good for me to put down. Looks like I'll be spending most of the weekend reading it. Not like the traditional fantasies I've read; this one has lots of interesting political schemings and turns.
Old 06-01-03, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOTR. Just finishing it.
Old 06-01-03, 06:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by silentbob007
Just finished: Asimov's Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun

Currently Reading: Robots of Dawn
One day when I have time for a re-reading blitz I may go through Asimovs series again in order.
Spoiler:
As I recall Robots of Dawn was something of a bridge between those first two novels you mention and his Foundation series.

I am currently reading "Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon; another of the Clarke award nominees.

It is set in a near future and has a high-level autistic protagonist who is employed with a few like individuals for his pattern-recognition skills. There is talk of a "cure" for autism and no doubt a degree of conflict will result from this as the novel progresses and the plot unfolds.

On the back cover it is described as a near-future thriller. I am only a short way through but, so far, "Speed of Dark" is a more immediately-engaging read than M. John Harrisons, "Light", which is what I was reading before.

Last edited by benedict; 06-07-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just finished Tom Clancy's Without Remorse.

Now got to race through book 3 and 4 of the Harry Potter books in readiness for the release of the new one in three weeks
Old 06-01-03, 05:18 PM

My wife took the hint in an earlier thread and gave me Lost Light by Connelly, Naked Prey by Sanford, and No Second Chance by Coben. I'll be reading these along with the third through seventh of Cobens Myron Bolitar series. That should keep me busy all month.

Limey, I really liked Without Remorse. It was a nice background book on Jack Clarks character.
Old 06-01-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Elizabeth Moon's Heris Serrano trilogy. one book one, it's the science fiction book club's 3 in 1 hardcover edition
Old 06-02-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now i'm finishing up Matchstick Men by Eric Garcia. I picked it up from the local library on a whim based on the little tag on the front saying it's going to be turned into a movie next summer. I figured summer movie might make decent summer reading and it has been pretty good so far. Story of a couple con men running minor scams.

Also am finishing Syrup by Maxx Barry. That i picked up because someone on here recommended Jennifer Government and my library didn't have it - but had this other book by the same author. So far it has been great, really witty and funny. I'll definately hunt down Jennifer Government after this one.
Old 06-02-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just started reading House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, it's been sitting on my ever growing "must read" pile for a couple of years now.

I'm diggin' it so far, my one complaint though is it's like reading 2 books in 1, which I like, but Truant's story as told through the footnotes is not as interesting as the main story of the house.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-02-03 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Most recentley finished a few Cadfael books, Deception Point, and The Last Coyote.

I'm now starting Trunk Music and when I finish it I will have read every Michael Connelly book except The Poet.

On a Michael Connelly note, I just got an email today saying my name was one of the ones drawn in the trivia contest at the Connelly website. I'm getting a free copy of the Harry Bosch Jazz music CD Dark Sacred Night.
Old 06-02-03, 06:09 PM

Hey Darkside, I'm just about finished going through all of the Connelly books as well. I'm doing Lost Light now and will just have Chasing The Dime left. Pretty cool you won something, I've entered some other authors contests and have been shut out so far. Congrats!
Old 06-03-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am just getting ready to start the last Tom Robbins book Fierce Invalids... and looking forward to it. I've loved everything else by him that i've read.
Old 06-03-03, 09:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Finished Richard Laymon's In the Dark last night and started John Sandford's Shadow Prey.

Not one of Laymon's best books, but still quite entertaining (and twisted).
Old 06-03-03, 10:14 AM

About to finish "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore
Old 06-03-03, 11:09 AM

I'm about 1/2 way through "Gold Coast" by Elmore Leonard.

On deck is "Crocodile on the Sandbank" by Elizabeth Peters, recommended to me by a friend at work. Any opinions out there on this Amelia Peabody character?

-sandman642-
Old 06-03-03, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Cedar
Limey, I really liked Without Remorse. It was a nice background book on Jack Clarks character.
The only other Clancy books I've read are "The Hunt for Red October" and "Red Storm Rising", and those were over 10 years ago!

I didn't know that the Clark character is featured in the other books. Maybe I'll read the others. What order should they be read in (or should that be in another thread?).

Thanks.
Old 06-03-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Currently re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban. Goblet of Fire would be next, and by the time I finish, it'd be time to pick up Order of the Phoenix!
Old 06-03-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Preacher
LOTR. Just finishing it.
I STILL haven't even finished The Hobbitt and I bought the 4 book set a year and a half ago. Oh well.

I just finished reading U.S. Special Forces: A Guide to America's Special Operations Units by Samuel A. Southworth and Stephen Tanner. It's a decent starter's book for people who aren't familiar with the US Special Forces, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who are already familiar with the subject matter.

I'm debating reading one of the other 3 military-related books I just bought (which is usually the only type of book I read) or starting on the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series (I bought the first 4 books as a set since I anticipate liking the series).

Old 06-03-03, 10:03 PM

Old 06-03-03, 11:20 PM

Limey, here is the order on the Clancy books you asked for. Most have Ryan and Clark in them and one, Rainbow 6, has just Clark. The two you read were the first two (Red Storm Rising was a stand alone) so you are in good shape there. Here goes:

Hunt for Red October
Red Storm Rising
Patriot Games
Cardinal of the Kremlin (you could skip this one, pretty dull)
Clear and Present Danger
Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow 6
Bear and the Dragon
Red Rabbit
Old 06-04-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by benedict

One day when I have time for a re-reading blitz I may go through Asimovs series again in order.
Spoiler:
As I recall Robots of Dawn was something of a bridge between those first two novels you mention and his Foundation series.

You are correct. A few pages and minor plot points are devoted to
Spoiler:
psychohistory

Currently reading: Star Wars NJO: Force Heretic II - Refugee
Old 06-04-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I STILL haven't even finished The Hobbitt and I bought the 4 book set a year and a half ago. Oh well
Don't feel bad. Took me that long of a time to read thru it too. Most Boring Book ever.
Old 06-04-03, 08:41 PM

Chick Literatures

Old 06-04-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Don't feel bad. Took me that long of a time to read thru it too. Most Boring Book ever.
I thought it was pretty good. But I just never finished it for some reason. I think I'm only a chapter or two away from finishing it...but I would probably start from the beginning if I ever decided to read it.

Old 06-05-03, 12:04 PM

Right now I'm reading A Short History of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson. Bryson's a travelogue writer for the most part, and he's extremely witty, but this one is scientific in nature. It's very funny and very informative.
Old 06-05-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman last night and I was pretty blown away. I had heard much about AG and I'm really happy I finally got around to read it. That was one helluva good book.

Now I'm reading The Red Church by Scott Nicholson. Pretty good so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.