Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV from an elevated height?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, here's the situation......new house, gas fireplace with a TV cutout above it. The cutout is big enough to hold a really large CRT TV or a smaller widescreen projection HDTV. Also, it's kind of hard to explain but the couch won't be directly in front of the TV either. The main viewing couch will be on a slanted 45 degree wall off to the right if that makes a difference.

The TV would be sitting about 4.5-5 feet off the ground and the projection one has a small base that's about 12-18 inches more.

Here are the two options.....which one is the best choice?

First, there's a Sony 46" widescreen HDTV (KP-46WT500)

It fits nicely in the space, however the sales guy at the store we went to said that he wouldn't recomend watching such a TV at an elevated angle like that because the picture would appear darker. Sure enough, when you squat down from about the distance the couch will be, you can see the picture getting darker.

PROS for this TV are: It's the biggest that will fit in that space, it's widescreen, and it's about $1600

CONS for this TV are: aforementioned viewing angle

The other choice, is a 40" Sony CRT HDTV (KV-40XBR800)

You're not going to beat the picture quality on that one but it's slightly smaller and supposedly really heavy. But there are also no worries about the viewing angle which is big. The biggest downside IMO is it's about $900 than the other one. Is this concern about the quality of the projection TV at that angle a real problem or something you'll never notice? And would a simple trick like tilting the TV forward by putting and inch or two under the backside solve that problem?

Last edited by Trelach24; 06-02-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-31-03, 01:07 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: HDTV from an elevated height?

Originally posted by Trelach24
And would a simple trick like tilting the TV forward by putting and inch or two under the backside solve that problem?
Sounds good to me.

Other than that, the only reason I can think of to get a CRT over the RPTV would be to be able to see it in brighter ambient light.
Old 05-31-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You definately don't want to watch a TV by looking up. IMHO based on what you described I would not put a TV screen up to 6.5 off the ground and then be 2.5 feet or so under that.
Old 05-31-03, 10:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a plasma?
Old 05-31-03, 10:47 AM

Too expensive
Old 05-31-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While tilting the screen should work, it might take more than a few inches of elevation to achieve an appropriate viewing angle. If that turns out to be the case, then you might need to secure the TV to ensure against an accident.

Also, if aesthetics are at all important, the tilted TV might look kinda weird. If you have some cardboard, you might try making mock up of the unit to see how much tilt you will require, how it will look, and much strain is placed on your neck when viewing.
Old 05-31-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I don't think I would want a TV mounted high up on the wall. It would be like watching TV in a bar.

I was reading a thread in the AVS forums where people were showing off their plasma setups, and I was surprised how many were hung in the upper third part of the wall, even those without fireplaces.
Old 05-31-03, 10:05 PM

Well, it was a standard part of the house design and it's not in the upper third of the wall. It's more about half way up (bottom of the TV will be 4 feet off the floor) .. just above the fireplace. Plus, the sofas will set about 16 - 20 feet back, so the viewing angle, though still "up" is not that high.

Still, as much as I really want the projection widescreen, I can't help but think that the CRT is the way to go. I guess I just wanted to hear you guys tell me that there's a way to make the projection model work.
Old 06-02-03, 12:47 PM

Well, if you go with the Sony 46", then it IS in the upper third of the wall. Sure, the TV may be 4' above the floor, but you won't be getting much of a picture watching the speakers and caster wheels. The picture itself will start about 6' off the floor, right?

Maybe you should build the basement into a theatre? I did a lot of installs in new homes when working for Dish Network, and it's amazing how many new homes have crappy arrangements for living spaces. I cant count the # of TV spots over the fireplace I saw. Worthless.
Old 06-02-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How about buying the TV..sending it to me..and i'll fly out and do puppet shows in the cut out above the fireplace? I RULE at puppetry!

-pedagogue
Old 06-02-03, 08:00 PM

You're going to fly from Baltimore to......Maryland?
Old 06-04-03, 03:35 PM

What about a 52" LCD TV? Are they even any good?

This guy fits in the space

Most reviews I've read online say that big LCD TVs aren't worth it at all.
Old 06-04-03, 04:35 PM
X
Administrator

Eww, a contrast ratio of 350:1 sure will look washed out. I wouldn't even accept that in a computer monitor.
Old 06-06-03, 03:21 PM

I just spent part of my lunch hour at BB and noticed they had a few RP TVs displayed more than 6 feet off the floor(that put the actual image almost 8 feet up). I was able to walk up to within 5 feet without the picture turning dark and besides the glare from the front windows the viewing angles worked great. I even sat in their display chair from about 15 feet away and didn't notice much of a difference. You might want to check this our for yourself.

I have been toying with the idea to raise my RPTV about 12-18 inches but I am nervous about that much weight off the ground and needing to access the rear inputs.
Old 06-07-03, 03:25 PM

Well, unless you sit on a barstool to watch your TV, an RP will ALWAYS be higher than your eye level. Sitting on my couch, I think the center viewing area of my 65" 4:3 RPTV is about 18" above my eyes.
Old 06-07-03, 03:34 PM
X
Administrator

My 53" 16:9 Pioneer's center is slightly lower than eye level when I'm sitting on my couch. I wouldn't mind having it higher at all.

In fact, I'm tending to raise 2.35:1 movies to the top of the screen and have all the black space at the bottom of the screen.
Old 06-14-03, 03:49 PM

Okay, anyone know anything about DLP TVs? Supposedly the picture is even better and the Samsung 50" model will fit in the hole.