Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the floor a good spot at a concert?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I'm going to see the Foo Fighters tomorrow night at a general admission arena show. I have the choice between sitting in any seat I want or I can stand on the floor with no chairs. I plan on getting to the venue around 5:30 or 6 and the doors open at 6.

In everyone's opinion, is the floor a good spot to see a concert. The only time I've ever been on the floor was in the back at a stadium show for Dave Matthews Band. I had a chair but couldn't see the stage a lot of the time. Is the floor a good spot to see a Foo Fighters show or would I be better off in an arena seat. I don't mind getting roughed up a little but I'd rather not die.

Thanks for your help,
Aaron
Old 05-29-03, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Well if you plan to be upfront on the floor just be prepared to be knocked around alot. There, for the most part, are always pockets on the floor where is room to take a breath. Seats and Floor are two totally different experiences. Seats are kick back just watching a show. Floor is upfront and personal with the band. Which do you prefer? I dont think I could ever go back to seats after seeing so many recent concerts on the floor.
Old 05-29-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, unless it's the Royal Philharmonic, you should never "sit" at a concert. Anyway, it really depends on the band and the venue. A lot of bands don't produce a good concert sound, especially when trying to fill a massive arena, and for them, the floor "seats" have such a distorted sound that it's not enjoyable. My preference is to be on the floor, or in the pit, or as close to the band as possible, but some times, it's just not the way to go. Having never seen the Foo Fighters in concert, I cannot speak to their performance skill, so my answer to your question is that it depends on the band and the venue. On the average, though, floor is preferable.

As for life-threatening situations, sometimes the floor area can get really out of hand, but it's usually just in certain pockets that can be avoided. If you really don't like crowds, the floor might not be for you.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 05-29-03 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
If you are 5'4" blonde with big breasts in a tight T-shirt, you can probably show five minutes before the show and end up right next to the stage - no problem

However, for everyone else, attending a general admission rock concert can be a literal and figurative battle. If you are brash and sly, you should be able to manuever pretty close to the stage without much trouble. Back in the day (I'm old) we would ALWAYS worm our way close to the front, and that my friend, is the way to go...

If you're a little less bold, you might find yourself trying to swim upstream.

Rock on, by the way.....
Old 05-29-03, 06:06 PM

How about acoustics? I'd imagine the sound would be more loud from the floor. A rock concert demands loud sound. With the speakers above the floor patrons, doesn't the sound suck?

Aaron
Old 05-29-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I've worked concerts and here's my opinion:

Floor front...Good if you like "THE PIT" and all it's action at hard rock shows. Assuming the floor is OPEN. If closed(seat rows), then it sucks because people will stand up on their chairs.

Risers... great for seeing the band.
Old 05-29-03, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I've worked concerts and here's my opinion:

Floor front...Good if you like "THE PIT" and all it's action at hard rock shows. Assuming the floor is OPEN. If closed(seat rows), then it sucks because people will stand up on their chairs.

Risers... great for seeing the band.
The floor is open. No chairs.
Old 05-29-03, 11:42 PM

I just got back from the Foos in Detroit. No matter where you end up, you are in for a great show. I sat in the seats at the side of the stage.
Old 05-29-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth blinkin_winkin •<HR SIZE=1>How about acoustics? I'd imagine the sound would be more loud from the floor. A rock concert demands loud sound. With the speakers above the floor patrons, doesn't the sound suck?<HR SIZE=1>

Like I said before, it really depends on the band and the venue. I saw Live and the Black Crowes from the 5th row of the floor one after another at the exact same venue. Live sounded perfect, yet the Crowes were such a dissonant mess that I had to move. Some bands do a great job with acoustics ... others just crank up the volume. On top of that, some venues are acoustically prepared for better sound, while others really can't handle a consistent distribution.

On the average, I would say that the larger the venue, the less likely the floor will be a good location, but that's a generalization proven wrong by many bands that really know how to put on a concert. Unfortunately, I think you're looking at trial and error.

If it were me, I'd take my chances up close and find a way to move if it wasn't a good call.

das
Old 05-31-03, 10:47 AM

Well I ended up on the floor last night for the Foo Fighters. It was awesome to be that close to the band. There are no seats in that arena as close as the floor. On the minus side... I got knocked around pretty harsh. I don't understand people moshing during "Times Like These". Neither did Grohl. Oh well.

Good show btw. No "Generator" or "Breakout" though.

Aaron
Old 06-01-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a rock concert the floor is the only option, IMO.
Old 06-02-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
Well I ended up on the floor last night for the Foo Fighters. It was awesome to be that close to the band. There are no seats in that arena as close as the floor. On the minus side... I got knocked around pretty harsh. I don't understand people moshing during "Times Like These". Neither did Grohl. Oh well.

Good show btw. No "Generator" or "Breakout" though.

Aaron
Glad you enjoyed it (the Foos are pretty cool live)...the floor can be fun, I prefer the side in my older years. The moshing, or whatever, has been comical for many years now. People would do it on slow songs, bands that were barely rock etc. just for the sake of doing it. Did Grohl call them out? I love when the actual performers make fun of them.

In the end you have screwed yourself, as now you will not settle for just any 'seat' to a show. You will always want to be as close as possible.
Old 06-02-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
LOL, I think my ribs are still cracked from the second row of the pit from the San Diego Foo show on 04/15/03.

BTW, I thought I was gonna die, my wife went over the rail, and I had to punch my way out of the crowd. Seriously, elbow, mashed a girls face in after she F'n BIT ME! NO one would let me out. Head to toe soaking wet.

Went and sat in seats and could actually see the show. Man I'm old. (almost 39, but have done stage dives, and mosh pits back when it was "slamming" lol)

Last edited by Chrisedge; 06-02-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I've got row 8 seats to Matchbox 20. Please God, let there be seats, because I'm 36 . . .

I do have a seat number--is that good sign?

tasha
Old 06-02-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tasha99
I've got row 8 seats to Matchbox 20. Please God, let there be seats, because I'm 36 . . .

tasha
That mostly means a seat. If your gonna be able to see, then I don't know.
Old 06-02-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tasha99

tasha
Yes ... if there are no seats it would state G.A. or just Floor. A seat number means you have an actual seat. Plus, i would not worry too much at a Matchbox 20 show either.
Old 06-02-03, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Flashback
Glad you enjoyed it (the Foos are pretty cool live)...the floor can be fun, I prefer the side in my older years. The moshing, or whatever, has been comical for many years now. People would do it on slow songs, bands that were barely rock etc. just for the sake of doing it. Did Grohl call them out? I love when the actual performers make fun of them.

In the end you have screwed yourself, as now you will not settle for just any 'seat' to a show. You will always want to be as close as possible.
Grohl somewhat called it out. Just before "Monkeywrench" he said something like "Now... I know what ladies like... and I don't think they like guys beating the s!@# out of each other."

I am definitely screwed for all future concerts. I'm going to see DMB this July. My seats are in the back of the arena to the side. I don't want that. I want GA Floor!
Old 06-03-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cerial442
For a rock concert the floor is the only option, IMO.
To me, it's the difference between watching the band and interacting with the band. There's just no comparison.

The floor can be dangerous, so I don't recommend it for everyone, but if you learn how to take care of yourself down in the pit, it can be a lot of fun. Even at concerts where the pit gets truly dangerous, you still have a lot of options to 'escape'. The only time I ever felt really in danger was when a mosh pit opened up on me near the front at a Suicidal Tendancies concert. People were actively trying to inflict pain on each other in the pit, to the point of throwing punches.

Still, I managed to get out without being hurt. Also, everyone should crowd surf at least once in their life.
Old 06-03-03, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what about venues where there is a balcony. I know that for the 9:30 Club here in DC, the acoustics are slightly different from the floor. I favour the floor and not the balcony - what do other's think? (why do I sense sexual innuendo here?)
Old 06-03-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you want to watch the show, I'd recommend getting a seat on the side of the stage. You'll be close to the band, be able to hear better and not have to worry about some asswipe standing next to you deciding to start hurling his body around during an acoustic version of Big Me
Old 06-04-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Well, eighth row floor with seats turned out to be perfect. We were dead in the center and I thought we had about the best seats in the house (better than the front because we didn't have to look up so much). Nobody stood on their chairs because security was very visible and did their job.

The only thing that could have made the concert better would have been if the bubble headed blonde behind me would have quit her random screaming sooner (I really understand yelling between songs, or even during certain parts, but I thought it was annoying to have her screaming while I was trying to listen. Who "appreciates" music by interupting the artist? Well I guess lots of people, but it doesn't make sense to me.)

tasha