Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jimmy Kimmel Live gets bumped in Chicago

Meatpants
05-29-03, 09:24 AM
From the SunTimes:

Score another victory for Oprah Winfrey and her fans: Effective next week, WLS-Channel 7 will move reruns of Winfrey's talk show back to 11:05 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Four months after "The Oprah Winfrey Show" was bumped to 12:05 a.m. to make room for ABC's new "Jimmy Kimmel Live," the ABC-owned station is switching the two shows around.

By moving Winfrey's reruns to the 11:05 p.m. post-"Nightline" slot, Channel 7 restores her show to the time period it had held since 1996. Winfrey's first-run slot continues at 9 a.m. Monday through Friday.

Under intense pressure from ABC's network bosses--and with Winfrey's acquiescence--Channel 7 agreed to move the Chicago-based franchise in late January to help jump-start Kimmel's new comedy/variety show.

Although Kimmel drew respectable ratings--averaging a 3.0 rating and 7 share during the May sweeps--they were down considerably from the 5.3/13 Winfrey had averaged in the time period last May. What's more, Winfrey's reruns dropped to a 2.5/8 in the 12:05 a.m. slot.

One Nielsen ratings point equals 33,513 households, and share is the percent of sets in use.

Emily Barr, president and general manager of Channel 7, called the latest move "a win-win for Chicago" because Winfrey's viewers will see her in a time period they preferred, while Kimmel's younger male audience is considered more likely to stay up past midnight to watch his show.

"Chicago is Oprah's town," Barr said. "She has an extremely loyal audience, many of whom have spent years watching her at 11:05 p.m. We want to give those viewers the opportunity to watch her there again.

"When 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' came to ABC, we wanted to insure a successful launch by anchoring it between two established programs, 'Nightline' and 'Oprah.' Now it is a strong show with a solid viewing foundation. With 'Oprah' as its lead in, we believe 'Jimmy Kimmel' will continue to enjoy great success."

Barr said Winfrey's recent decision to extend her show through the 2007-08 season was not a factor in Channel 7's move.

-----------------------------------------

I hope for his sake, this is an isolated case. But it's not good when you get bumped back to after midnight in a market like Chicago.

Red Dog
05-29-03, 09:30 AM
At least they had a taste of Kimmel. No Kimmel in DC. :(

GuessWho
05-29-03, 03:28 PM
Stupid Ch 7/Oprah connection... this is the reason I never saw Politically Incorrect

huzefa
05-29-03, 03:36 PM
Doesn't Oprah already have enough money? Bad Oprah, bad!!

Jadzia
05-29-03, 03:42 PM
I don't see what the big deal is, Jimmy Kimmel airs at 12:05 here and throughout the east coast.

Central-time zone TV schedules are weird.

GuessWho
05-29-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Jadzia
I don't see what the big deal is, Jimmy Kimmel airs at 12:05 here and throughout the east coast.

Central-time zone TV schedules are weird. Your 12:05 is my 11:05... East coast & Central watch shows at the exact same time, we just have different numbers on our clocks.

Specific numbers notwithstanding...

You see Jimmy Kimmel 1 hour after primetime ends.

I'd have to wait 2 hours after primetime ends with Oprah stuck inbetween now. That sucks. Could you stay awake an hour later just to watch this?

Jadzia
05-29-03, 04:46 PM
But we'd both be going to bed at the same time, etc. It's not like your entire clock is an hour off, just your TV schedules.

Why should the eastern time zone be expected to stay up until midnight but midnight is too late for the central time zone to watch? it's supposed to be a late-night show.

Although I don't even watch this show, I am just an interloper in this thread. (But when PI was on, I used to just tape it and watch it the next day with my husband who conks out well before midnight.)

Meatpants
05-30-03, 09:21 AM
We're simple folk here in the midwest, we don't stay up that late. ;)

In any case, GuessWho is right, nothing is worth waiting through the local news, plus an hour of Oprah, just to see Jimmy Kimmel.

Jadzia
05-30-03, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Meatpants
We're simple folk here in the midwest, we don't stay up that late. ;)

Hey, I'm in the midwest too (Michigan).

We're just on eastern time. :)

Jackskeleton
05-30-03, 01:53 PM
Any news on if Florida gets Kimmel live?