Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
PS2 problems

Does anyone know how to fix a PS2 that kinda makes a buzzing sound sometimes when it loads a game? It also makes a kind of skipping noise when I play. The game quality isn't ever effected, though. It's just annoying to have to take the disc out and put it back in to make it stop buzzing.

My PS2 is only about 7-8 months old, so I dunno if this is a regular problem with all PS2s or if I am just unlucky.

Should I try and return it and get a new one or is there a way to fix it, besides opening it up or something, lol

Old 05-29-03, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like something might be loose. Call up Sony and see what they think about it.
Old 05-29-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

someone else told me it might be a dirty lens, and just buy a lens cleaner or something. Think that would help?
Old 05-29-03, 11:39 AM
Banned

I don't know if it would help a vibration, but it couldn't hurt. When games are loading is when the disc is being read the most. It is feasible to assume that either:

a) The a mechinism used for the disc is loose and needs tightening.

b) The lens is dirty and is using excess movement to find the data.

I really have never heard of this problem, so I don't have a solution. Best bet would be to call Sony and hopefully get an answer.
Old 05-29-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is louder when loading CD based games (blue) and quieter when loading DVD based games (silver). It has to do with how fast the disc has to spin. Don't know if that's your problem though.
Old 05-29-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Is the problem with any one game in particular or just all discs in general? Are the noises louder when playing blud discs?
Old 05-29-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think mine has a similar condition... i think it's normal. some games sound like it is constantly loading. but gameplay isn't affected.

anyway, it's been like that since the launch so i don't worry about it anymore. i did build a cabinet to dampen the noise though.
Old 05-29-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well right now I am playing Enter the Matrix. It's loud (sometimes) when loading, and has a skip noise during cutscenes. The quality hasn't been affected.

Actually, I just remembered....I was playing the game today, and early in the game, where there is alot of talking by some guards (not a cutscene, just regular talking) the noise became super loud, and the talking stopped, and the voices stopped, and then faded in and out like Mickey Mouse sounding voices, lol. I kid you not.

It's happened a few times during Xenosaga, also. It never seems to happen when I play NBA 2K3 or WSB 2K3.

If I have to open it up, I can do that. I fiddle with computers all the time so I am sure the inside of a PS2 isn't gonna give me nightmares
Old 05-30-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by nickdawgy
well right now I am playing Enter the Matrix. It's loud (sometimes) when loading, and has a skip noise during cutscenes. The quality hasn't been affected.

Actually, I just remembered....I was playing the game today, and early in the game, where there is alot of talking by some guards (not a cutscene, just regular talking) the noise became super loud, and the talking stopped, and the voices stopped, and then faded in and out like Mickey Mouse sounding voices, lol. I kid you not.

It's happened a few times during Xenosaga, also. It never seems to happen when I play NBA 2K3 or WSB 2K3.

If I have to open it up, I can do that. I fiddle with computers all the time so I am sure the inside of a PS2 isn't gonna give me nightmares
call Sony. It sounds like either the dvd's/games are vibrating or loose
Old 05-30-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They'll probably want to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it
Old 05-30-03, 02:24 PM
Banned

They'll probably want to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it
Well, since no one has any idea what the problem could be, your best bet is to call Sony and hopefully they know what the problem is. Once you find out what the problem is, then we can help you fix it. Until then, you're SOL.
Old 05-31-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by joshd2012
Well, since no one has any idea what the problem could be, your best bet is to call Sony and hopefully they know what the problem is. Once you find out what the problem is, then we can help you fix it. Until then, you're SOL.
looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I explained what the problem was, no need to be so mean about it, sheesh.
Old 06-01-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was playing Enter the Matrix again today, and on the last level, while loading, I heard the off and on buzzing, kind of like an alarm clock. It kept doing that for a good 2 minutes, and the game wouldn't finish loading.

Then I tried playing it later, and it wouldn't get past the main screen where it says browser or system config or whatever. So out of frustration, I hit the top of the system....then it loaded lol

I felt like Marty McFly when he couldn't get the Delorean started and he banged his head against the steering wheel in frustration, and it started.

Anyhow, how do I get ahold of Sony? Is there any other way to fix this problem?
Old 06-01-03, 11:39 AM
Banned

looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I explained what the problem was, no need to be so mean about it, sheesh.
There was no anger in that post.
Old 06-01-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sony: 1-800-345-7669
Old 06-01-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by joshd2012
There was no anger in that post.
There was a little, telling me I was SOL. But no matter, it's cool.

So anyway, I called Sony, and they said to send it to them, they'll fix it free. I just have to pay for shipping. Not a bad deal, shipping would probably cost 20 bucks or so.
Old 06-02-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh great, now my PS2 is making the grinding noises during play and stopping play altogether. It only loads a game when it's bashed on the top of the cover, which sucks.

I still have my receipt, but unfortunately I don't think Wal-Mart will exchange a 6 month old PS2, lol.

Well, I could say I got it as a gift, and just now opened it