Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

cowboy bebop japanese or english dub?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which language is better for cowboy bebop?
Origianl Japanese version with subtitles
38.33%
English dub
51.67%
it doesn't matter.
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to know what you all think is better. I got the 6 disc set from amazon yesterday. I have watched portions of this on cartoon network, and I have to say, the english dub is pretty impressive, but I want to watch one language and one language only.
Which one should it be?
Old 05-28-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to vote, because I haven't seen a lot of the original language episodes. But, I don't have any problems with the English dubs, they sound fine to me.

Although I prefer to listen to original language tracks, it sure cuts down on the amount of action you get to see since you're reading all the time.

So the easy answer should be: English on the first viewing of the DVD set to catch all the action, then Japanese second to catch the story.
Old 05-28-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Though I will say that the voice work for this series is great. I still perfer the original language with subtitles.
Old 05-28-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMHO, the English voice work for Cowboy Bebop is BETTER than the Japanese version, which is quite rare. Also, the movie is coming out on DVD in June.
Old 05-28-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
You gotta go with the original Japanese lanuage, at least once.
Old 05-28-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I haven't heard the English Dub, although I have heard many people that don't normally enjoy dubs say that this one was very good.

Original Language (and music, Aspect Ratio, etc.) all the way...
Old 05-29-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think the English voices fit the charatcters better than the japanese voices, possible execption might be Jet.
Old 05-29-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are the episodes uncut on dvd? The cartoon network version makes a few cuts here and there. Also the dubs are changed probably due to the fact that sometimes there are words you can't say on cartoon network that show up in the subtitled version. I prefer the subtitled version after flipping through diffrent scenes in session 1. I was morely paying attention to how the voice sounded then the actual episode so I'll watch it again soon.
Also, does this show have a high replay value?
Old 05-29-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I think it has high replay, some episodes more than others.

And yeah, the DVDs are totally uncut (and came out about a year before it started airing on Cartoon Network).

Was part of the kickass animes from the '97 - '98 era, good stuff.
Old 05-30-03, 03:37 AM
Banned

Best dub EVER!!
Old 05-30-03, 10:14 AM

Yes, the dub is EXCELLENT. I listened to some of the Japanese track, and I have to say that I also thought the English version was better. Obviously I have no idea how well it was translated, but the actual voice acting was better on the English track.
Old 05-31-03, 03:10 PM

Easily the best done dubbing job in any anime series, I watched it dubbed myself and loved it.
Old 05-31-03, 06:46 PM
Banned

The dub is the best of any Japanese to English presentation I've ever heard. In this case and this case alone the English and Japanese tracks are interchangeable.
Old 05-31-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up the first disc yesterday after hearing so many positive comments on it. The english dub so far is really good and not distracting at all to listen to.
Old 06-01-03, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by UWSarge
I just picked up the first disc yesterday after hearing so many positive comments on it.
Congratulations on your purchase! You will not be disappointed and I'm sure left with wanting more.
Old 06-01-03, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only one way to go.
Old 06-01-03, 08:55 AM

In my opinion, it doesn't matter either way. Depends on what sorta mood I'm in. They dub is probably one of the best dubs every, but the original language track w/ subs is also great. It's all about whether ur a purist or not I suppose.
Old 06-01-03, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Someone once posted that the director liked the English voice actors so much, he went back and had the Japanese actors redo some of their parts to sound more like the English actors.

I think it's important to remember that Bebop is one of the few anime out of Japan steeped in western (ie- American) tradition- from the soundtrack, right down to the form itself (noir). It's a brilliant work all around, the English actors seem keyed into this fact and sound like they're enjoying themselves.
Old 06-01-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With most anime it depends on my mood which version I watch. And I've watched Lain, Excel Saga, Boogiepop Phantom, Now and Then Here and Now, and many anime movies once with the dub, once with the sub (or vice virsa).

However after watching all of Cowboy Bebop with the English Dub, I tried watching with the original soundtrack but just couldn't. The English dub is just so good.
Old 06-01-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ZakVTA
Congratulations on your purchase! You will not be disappointed and I'm sure left with wanting more.
Yeah, I want to get the rest of the discs now, but it looks like it'll be cheaper to buy the whole 6 disc set instead of buying discs 2-5 seperately.
Old 06-01-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The set is only 99.95 at amazon and amazon only.
Old 06-02-03, 05:19 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Be careful when buying a set, there was a limited edition boxed set available called the Perfect Collection, however, that is NOT available, and there are some bootlegs out there (including at Half.com, & the Used Sellers at Amazon.)

There is also a compilation disc called the Best Sessions, but you will probably want the entire series.

Amazon does have a Complete Sessions collection which is just the 6 discs in a cheaper bundle, without a box, but again, beware of the used sellers.

Edit: Anime Bootleg warning signs:
Import, all-region - Legitimate R2, R3, or R4 copies of these discs will NOT be region free.
3-4 discs - a 26 episode anime series will not fit on 3/4 discs without some serious degradation. Cowboy Bebop was on 6 discs, and Escaflowne (another big bootleg) was on 8 discs.
Chinese Language or subtitles. - these would only be on a Region 3 disc, which wouldn't be all region.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 06-02-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-03-03, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Putting an English dub on Japanese anime in general should be a crime. Doing a English cut with English dub should be considered trash... my freakings eyes and ears drums.
Old 06-03-03, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Putting an English dub on Japanese anime in general should be a crime. Doing a English cut with English dub should be considered trash... my freakings eyes and ears drums.
No offence, but you REALLY need to see the Cowboy Bebop dub
Old 06-11-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like the dub. Just got done disc one and the dub is better all around.

Also, I really like the music to this. It seems like all the soundtracks I have looked at online either are too expensve, or don't have the songs I want. I want a small sample of the slow jazz or blues pieces, the theme song, and most importantly, the song at the end credits. Thankfully, they have subtitles even in japanese and I even tried to sing along, but it didn't sound pretty.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.