Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Ali G Movie

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali G Movie

I love his show on HBO. Has anyone seen his movie , " Indahouse " ? I saw the region 2 dvd on ebay , and was wondering if I should pick it up as a blind buy.
Old 05-28-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is funny. Not very funny, but funny. If there was a way to do it, you'd want a rental.

The fact is, the humour in the film is different than the show; while the show has brilliant satire playing on the ignorance of celebrities and public figures, the film is little more than a silly comedy - "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" spoofed.

For every moment of briliance, there's a joke that falls flat. Not for want of trying - Sacha Baron Cohen's timing is good, and the cast pull it off very well, but the script is unimaginative and repetitive... never mind short.

I enjoy my DVD, though. Silly fun.
Old 05-28-03, 01:49 AM

i gotta agree w/ DonnachaOne here. Indahouse is mediocre at best. a few good laughs but nothing really clever about the humor. more of a billy madison style than anything, but not as good. atleast we finally get to see "me julie" in it. if you can, go for the region 2 dvds of the original show. much better IMO than the current US based incarnation on HBO
Old 05-28-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that if you do get it, it is in PAL.
Old 05-28-03, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Is 'Da Ali G Show' (HBO) available on DVD?
Old 05-28-03, 01:33 PM

mr_jbloggs: the HBO show isn't out on DVD yet..

As for the movie, I guess I liked it more than the others above...It's not a great movie, but I found it to be very funny. Different from the tv show, but I wanted to see more of him in character living life rather than just interviewing celebrities or whatnot. I enjoyed it quite a lot..
Old 05-28-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're a fan of his humor then you'll love the movie, it goes way out there and the DVD is packed with a commentary thats funny as hell and tons of deleted scenes and a cool Making Of.
Old 05-28-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks guys, I have a region-free player so I guess I'll be picking it up.
Old 05-29-03, 08:14 AM

BOOYAKASHA!!! Oh snap! Them was showin' the show on HBO the other night, like 3 hours strait and it was funny as hell, I couldn't stop laughing when he was interviewing this guy from the DEA. They need to release this show on dvds NOW!

About the original shows, the one that aired in the UK, are they out on dvds? But I heard the humour is different than the HBO one and probably most of the stuff will be harder to relate to.
Old 05-29-03, 12:37 PM

I'll say it is worth getting INDAHOUSE.

DA ALI G show and the first season of COUPLING were the main reasons I got a multiregion player. The first DVD I watched was INDAHOUSE and I also picked up the three DVD volumes he has in the UK.

INDAHOUSE has some GREAT moments (love the FAST AND THE FURIOUS scene and his doing his gang symbols to the police car and hiding his hands below the window) but it also has some parts that don't work. Still, if you are a fan, you have to see it. It even has a cameo by one of his other characters. The DVD has a bunch of deleted scenes, even an in character commentary track which I haven't listened to yet.

His HBO show really was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV in years. I hope it gets a DVD release.