Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Raver" discrimination continues....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...303may23.story

Sheriff halts all-night Rise 2 party, for now

LAKE JEM -- Wanda Spradlin didn't notice the all-night party just down the road last month. Her home has double insulation in the walls, she said, and "some nights, we don't hear the rain."

She learned about the party later, though, from a few of her neighbors who don't have any extra insulation. In this rural community in the middle of Lake County, where the loudest sound is usually the cicadas, people take note when techno music drifts over the oak trees.

"One man," Spradlin, 59, said, "had a restless, restless night."

All-night music parties -- some people call them raves -- have become a staple of city nightlife, perfect for abandoned warehouses or trendy clubs. Now an Altamonte Springs promoter wants to bring one to the heart of Lake County, on a 6-acre property just outside of tiny Lake Jem.

The promoter, Brett Milove, said the country setting makes the perfect venue for Rise 2, a weekend-long concert featuring electronic music. People could camp under the stars, he said, and it is secluded enough that loud music shouldn't be a problem.

"It's away from the city," Milove said, who also planned the original Rise, a 36-hour session last year at the Volusia County Fairgrounds. "Can't do that in Orange County."

The Lake County Sheriff's Office wants to stop him.

Though Milove calls Rise 2 "a camping and music festival" for people who love techno and trance music, the sheriff's legal adviser, Mark Brewer, calls it a rave. A rave, he argued in court papers filed earlier this week, means "sales of illegal narcotics and/or controlled substances, gang activity and wet T-shirt contests."

On Thursday afternoon, the Sheriff's Office persuaded County Judge Richard Boylston to grant an injunction stopping the concert, at least until organizers can get their permits, including one to host an "open-air gathering."

Within hours, the Sheriff's Office declared victory, issuing a statement that said Rise 2 "has been canceled as of today by court order" and that "anyone who attended was subject to arrest."

It's the third rave the Sheriff's Office has stamped out ahead of time in three years, Brewer said.

Rise 2 may not be dead just yet. Boylston said he may reconsider his decision if concert organizers can obtain their required permits. Milove said he will be back in Tavares by 8 a.m. today, trying to do just that.

"I've never been stopped from doing an event," Milove said, adding that roughly 225 tickets for Rise 2 already have been sold at $13 each.

Tony Lukas, who lives on the property where Rise 2 would be held, said neighbors in his rural community had little to fear from the event. After all, he said, he hosted a similar gathering last month, where partygoers celebrated Easter Sunday sunrise. Lukas said about 400 people showed up. The Sheriff's Office said almost 800 were there.

"I couldn't believe how nice and friendly the people were," Lukas, 59, said. "After the sun came up, they shut down the music and cleaned up the place."

Jason Garcia may be reached at: [email protected] or 352-742-5926.

I'm speechless. This is so effin rediculous.
Old 05-27-03, 02:27 PM

Sounds to me like the Sheriff's Dept. is doing its job.
Old 05-27-03, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Well....raves are a breeding ground for drug use and sales.
Old 05-27-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by C Roberts
Agreed. Ravers can whine and complain, but come on...is there ever a 'clean rave'? I doubt it.
Old 05-27-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
What did the raver say when the drugs wore off?

Spoiler:
Man, this music sucks!
Old 05-27-03, 06:28 PM

What did the raver say when the drugs wore off?I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have no clue about electronic music, correct?
You can't possibly be serious. Tell me what is wrong with people wanting to gather to dance to some great tunes? Never mind, because you can't. I've been into the scene for over 13 years now and have a brother signed to America's largest electronic record label. Sadly, I've seen numerous parties ("Raves" died over 10 years ago for all you newbs) shut down before they started based on laws that were concocted on the fly. And to those who imagine that "raves" are havens for drug use, you are nothing but media sheep.

Last edited by SubZero; 05-27-03 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Spoiler:
Man, this music sucks!

Old 05-27-03, 07:10 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by SubZero
And to those who imagine that "raves" are havens for drug use, you are nothing but media sheep.
Wrong! I've been to raves and numerous clubs where techno and that type of music has been played and it is no secret that 90% of the people there were always rolling their asses off. Not to mention the actual clubs themselves would promote drug use by images of the various drugs on the walls thru lighting effects. It is a shame that this type of music has been associated with the drug scene, but you cannot deny its strong association.
Old 05-27-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I love electronic music, spin it, even helped put together a couple of "raves" a few years ago. That said, I try to be sympathetic, but I really feel that those in the culture bring these (possibly unfair) laws on themselves. One can say it's all about the music and PLUR or whatever, but drugs really are embedded in the culture and there's always going to be that element there. Maybe if some big time promoters put on some events that are well advertised as drug-free (and stick to that policy), maybe things will change. Doubtful, though.

This brings back memories of my college radio station. We put on some raves and, against explicit instructions, the electronic music director had his people dealing in them. A few months later he was busted for using the station as a front for producing and selling crystal meth. The University was poopin' bricks. Ticked me off for him to tarnish our (already sucky) reputation.
Old 05-27-03, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Wrong! I've been to raves and numerous clubs where techno and that type of music has been played and it is no secret that 90% of the people there were always rolling their asses off. Not to mention the actual clubs themselves would promote drug use by images of the various drugs on the walls thru lighting effects. It is a shame that this type of music has been associated with the drug scene, but you cannot deny its strong association.
I'm not sure where you get your info (wait, perhaps i do), but you are so far off the wall it isn't even amusing. Please stop perpetuating myths about the scene, it's degrading to those of us trying to spread positivity. I grew up with the scene, probably before you could spell "Reese Saunderson"...if you know who that is. To say that 90% of ravers (ugh, that word) and clubbers are rolling on X is embarrassing. Sorry, you just don't know any better. And as far as I can remember, clubs do their damndest to keep drugs and the negative stigma away. Perhaps I cannot deny the association, but that's because of negative people who don't know the truth.
In much the same way that you jump to Tool's defense the second someone says anything negative, I feel I have to defend my scene for the incredibly positive aspects that have made it one of the most progressive, forward thinking, and unifying arenas for music in the last fifteen years.
Old 05-27-03, 08:10 PM
Suspended

I'm not sure where you get your info (wait, perhaps i do), but you are so far off the wall it isn't even amusing. Please stop perpetuating myths about the scene, it's degrading to those of us trying to spread positivity.
I'm not perpetuating any kind of myth. I dont know what kind of rock you like to hide under but drug use and selling is extremely popular in the club/rave scene. My "info" has been attained from going to alot a clubs and a few raves in California, mainly in Hollywood. And have even known drug dealers who frequented such events, have had many, many friends who were deep into the club scene as well. Im not knocking this music at all, because...*gasp* yes I actually DO like it, but I find it laughable you can try to deny heavy drug use exists in these types of places. How in the world can you deny it when the club ITSELF flashes lights of the different types of drugs on the wall!
Old 05-27-03, 08:28 PM

I'm not perpetuating any kind of myth. I dont know what kind of rock you like to hide under
When it comes to house music, you're asking what rock I hide under? Dude, I was partying in warehouses before you or the media knew what a rave was. I have around 1300 cds and countless vinyl of every type of dance music you can name. I have a brother who produces for Moonshine music. My slipmats are all signed by the largest names in the business, and I have an entire JBL-pro club PA system in my house. I've been around my block and yours.
I'm not denying for a second that there is drug use in the club scene. There is drug use in every aspect of music, it's just that some types choose to stereotype certain areas of it. Hell, there are people who trip X and smoke out at a Tool show, but MTV doesn't glamorize that. Your one-liner original response insinuated that drugs were the foundation of the scene, and anyone who's grown up with it knows that simply isn't true. I know a ton of people in the club scene from party-goers to DJ's, and the only "90%" that I know are the ones who DON'T do drugs.
Old 05-27-03, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Your one-liner original response insinuated that drugs were the foundation of the scene.
I certainly did not. All I said was that drugs (ectasy) was prevalent in those types of setting from my own experiences (several)...which you have for some reason absolutely ignored. I do not goto clubs anymore because of the outrageuos presense of drugs. I could not even move without some joker falling over me telling me "how much he loved me". Or being bothered by some ass asking me if I "needed anything". As for you comparing regular concerts to clubs, I would say alchohol rules that scene. The dude tripping on X at a concert is far less than at a club.
Old 05-27-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am pretty sure I saw drugs when the gang of 90210 went to a rave. I do have a buddy who was pretty big into the rave thing here in Austin and he did a lot of drugs when he went.
Old 05-27-03, 09:00 PM

I certainly did not. All I said was that drugs (ectasy) was prevalent in those types of setting from my own experiences (several)...which you have for some reason absolutely ignored. I do not goto clubs anymore because of the outrageuos presense of drugs. I could not even move without some joker falling over me telling me "how much he loved me". Or being bothered by some ass asking me if I "needed anything". As for you comparing regular concerts to clubs, I would say alchohol rules that scene. The dude tripping on X at a concert is far less than at a club.
I'm actually sorry that your experiences have been such, but I don't believe that to be the norm. I haven't ignored your point that drugs are prevalent, in fact I've agreed that drugs are popular in all types of music settings. You just have the opinion that it is much more so in the dance community. If you believe that, so be it. Very few times have I ever been approached by the types of indivuduals that you describe. In fact, the alcohol that you speak of has caused more problems in clubs (in my experience) than drugs ever have. Given the choice of a candyflipping idiot trying to hug and "love me" versus the drunk one trying to pick a fight, I'd choose the former each and every time.
Old 05-27-03, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I am pretty sure I saw drugs when the gang of 90210 went to a rave.
Hahaha, now there's an accurate portrayal if I've ever seen one! No stereotyping going on there, is there? At what point in the show did the mad candy raver smear Vicks all over his face and start stabbing people with his glowstick while chewing on a pacifier? That is possibly the most humorous thing I think I've ever read.

Was John Acquaviva tweaking his 303 with Devilfish modification in that episode? Was Richie Hawtin throwing down South-Of-Detroit-style minimalism? Was Mark Archer dropping disco biscuits in Shelley's car park? Somehow I think not...
Old 05-27-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey man it is all about the glow sticks.
Old 05-27-03, 09:23 PM
Suspended

At what point in the show did the mad candy raver smear Vicks all over his face and start stabbing people with his glowstick while chewing on a pacifier?
Speaking of which...what IS the purpose of those 3 things?
Old 05-27-03, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Spoiler:
Man, this music sucks!
It's funny because it's true.
Old 05-27-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When it comes to house music, you're asking what rock I hide under? Dude, I was partying in warehouses before you or the media knew what a rave was. I have around 1300 cds and countless vinyl of every type of dance music you can name. I have a brother who produces for Moonshine music. My slipmats are all signed by the largest names in the business, and I have an entire JBL-pro club PA system in my house.

PLUR is pretty much dead these days, for better or worse. Are there drugs? Yes. Go to a rave or club and you will see a bunch of adolescent candy ravers wearing stupid costumes, pacifiers akimbo, and most likely on E. These idiots give the scene a bad name, but for the true fans, "music is my drug of choice." You suspect drugs at a concert? Fine, send undercover cops and make a bust. Don't try to pin off a whole scene as a covert attempt to sell drugs and have wet T-shirt contests(I know, WTF?)

Ironically, the doobie brothers were in Lake county a few months back. Do you think they got any s*** for being there? Luckily for them, I guess the cops legal advisor doesn't think that a 60's jam band named after drugs could possibly be a site where sales of illegal narcotics occurs.

Old 05-28-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Raves and clubs do attract some of these types of people (drug users and dealers). I have been to some famous clubs with the managers and was shocked at what they allowed to happen in their club right in front of them. HOWEVER, there are many people who do not participate in this type of activity at all, if not the majority. It is an unfair tag placed on this activity by only portraying the seedy side. There are some problems, and it would be naive not to admit it from some of my experiences, but nothing that I have not witnessed (in many cases a lot more) at rock concerts, reggae shows etc.
Old 05-29-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rave.

I don't roll.
Old 05-29-03, 12:55 AM

.. and the anti-drug lobby is out in full swing, nevermind that they are mis-informed and brain-washed by years and years of propaganda.

Anyway .. imho, if someone wants to do drugs .. they should be allowed. Decriminalise / legalise it all. The drug laws are arbitrary anyway as to what is legal and what not.
Old 05-29-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Let's see. they didn't have the proper permits to have the outdoor concert. Ummm, they broke the law. The Sheriff shut it down due to that. I see nothing wrong with that. to the sheriff for doing his job.
Old 05-29-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"Do yourself a favor, Punch a raver"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.