Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theory about the end [spoiler]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a theory about how Neo was able to take down the sentinels. Since he was in the real world he should be unable to use his "superpowers", but as we all know he could "feel" them coming and stopped them using some sort of EMP field from his body.

I think that the machines (sentinels in this case) are hooked into the Matrix, by selecting not to go back to the source Neo has changed the Matrix and caused a surge of power his way. Somehow, once he left the Matrix the power was still in him. Since the machines were hooked up to the Matrix, they are part of it, so he is free to use his powers on them. He expells too much of this surge of energy to quickly and his "real" body cannot handle it.

I know it sounds hairbrained, but that's the best I can come up with .
Old 05-27-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Neo and Smith somehow combined their powers when they merged at the end of M1. Now Smith can live in the real world (in someones mind) and Neo can control the Sentinals in the real world.
Old 05-27-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That definitely sounds like a possibility mopower. It seems like Smith has become the ying to Neo's yang (for lack of a better analogy).
Old 05-27-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Neo freed his mind.
Old 05-27-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
Neo freed his mind.
Whoa.

Old 05-27-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't think the sentinels are tied to the matrix. The sentinels came before the matrix when the machines started to take over the earth. It was only after they beat the human race and made them a power source did they then make the matrix. I see no reason that the computers would tie everything to the matrix.

I think the better theory is that Neo is the next step up in the human evolutionary ladder (a mutant perhaps?). It makes him special in the matrix and it may also make him special in the real world. As previously stated, I think freeing his mind in the matrix has also freed his mind in the real world that allows him to use powers that he didn't know about. Maybe all humans have this power, but either he is the first to figure it out or he is the most powerful.

There has to be some way that the humans beat the machines in the final movie (either that or exist together). They kicked our ass the first time and I can only think that they are stronger now than they were and the human race is likely weaker having to be stuck down in a hole hiding. There will need to be something that turns that tide in the real world. My guess is that it will be Neo learns that he has the same powers in the real world as in the matrix.
Old 05-27-03, 03:16 PM

The "real world" is part of the matrix as well. That is why Neo was able to stop the sentinels.
Old 05-28-03, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by GreenEggs248
The "real world" is part of the matrix as well. That is why Neo was able to stop the sentinels.
I agree.
It's a dream within a dream. How do you know when you're really awake? It could be part of the programming to control the anomoly, it makes them believe they have a choice?
A matrix within the real matrix.
Old 05-28-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seriously, would you really spend $400 million to tell a "dream within a dream" 3-film story?
Old 05-28-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Why not? Sure it's been done before (The Thirteenth Floor) but with far less spectacle. Besides, it's not like anything in these movie sis ground breaking or original. (Never stopped them from being cool or fun, though.) Like another poster once stated, it's just a new way of presenting the same old thing. So a dream within a dream ending wouldn't be bad at all if they know how to impliment it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-03 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like most things, it's less the nature of the concept, than how it is presented. A MIAM could be very cool, or it might blow--it would depend on how it is handled. Besides, even if they do go the MIAM route, it doesn't mean that would be the conclusion...it very well could be only one twist in a series that lead to the final revelation.
Old 05-28-03, 11:55 AM

the sentinels have some ties to the matrix as agents can deploy them. i mean they have to be controlled by something
Old 05-28-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GreenEggs248
This is exactly what I think. The architect himself said the the whole thing was a hoax. That the previous "ones" had all encountered this before and they had to reboot the whole program numerous times. He said that the whole rebellion was just another program within the matrix which was created to satisfy those minds who could function within an "ideal" world. So in reality, I think Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, and everyone else in Zion are actually still puppets being used as batteries. The only difference is the program running in their head.
Old 05-28-03, 12:40 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

No MiaM!

The ONLY real evidence for this is Neo stopping the sentinels? Is that it?

It can be explained that Neo is becoming part machine, just like Smith is becoming part human.

The Wachowskis said in some interview that the lines betw. the Matrix and real world are blurring. This is all that's happening.

And just from a movie pov, would a trilogy be written about this? to me, and i'm sure many fans, it would be completely unsatisfying if the real world is revealed as another matrix. if they escaped that, how would they EVER know (or the viewers) if they were truly free? That's why there's just the one matrix.

Of course, we'll have the answer in only 5 1/4 months.

Last edited by TCG; 05-28-03 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Why does it have to be a happy ending where everything is perfectly explained and nothing is left to audience interpretation?

A lot of you here glorify David Lynch. What if they do a David Lynch style good-luck-trying-to-figure-it-out-cos-there's-no-way-in-hell-that-you-will-since-I-never-meant-you-to type ending? Would you all hate the Wachowski Bros. and still continue to praise other directors for doing the same thing? It's sci-fi. Not everything need be spelled out to you. That's why I prefer The Matrix Reloaded over The Matrix. The main character had everything pretty much spelled out for him in the latter (with a few minor cryptic messages) but in the former we find out things are definitely not as simple as they once appeared. The ending need not tie every little detail up perfectly. Some questions should be left for the audience to answer on their own.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 04:34 PM

Here's my theory regarding Neo's ability to take down the sentinals: At the end, the council is explaining how someone triggered an EMP that took down five ships. That person was the sole survivor, Bane. That EMP blast is what took the sentinals out. Neo knew that the EMP was moments away because his mind now contains some fragment of Agent Smith's consciousness, which was awakened just as Bane triggered the EMP. I like this idea a lot more than the idea that Neo now has magic powers that work in the real world.
Old 05-28-03, 06:19 PM

The MiaM idea fits so well with all the philosophical and religious allegories they've been playing with throughout both movies. Philosophical questions of fate vs. free will. What is reality? Is the universe boundless, if not what is beyond the edge of the universe? What's beyond that? Can two diverse co-dependent populations severe themselves from one another or must they recognize their co-dependence and agree to co-exist? Does God exist or is it an illusion? Who or what is God? Heaven? Hell? Mortality?

A MiaM plays with the great questions of philosophy, religion, and human existence without trying to answer them or force feed a belief system. It sparks thought instead encouraging sedentary observation.

Movies do not need to end with answers, they can end with questions...
Old 05-28-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jerrycurl
Here's my theory regarding Neo's ability to take down the sentinals: At the end, the council is explaining how someone triggered an EMP that took down five ships. That person was the sole survivor, Bane. That EMP blast is what took the sentinals out. Neo knew that the EMP was moments away because his mind now contains some fragment of Agent Smith's consciousness, which was awakened just as Bane triggered the EMP. I like this idea a lot more than the idea that Neo now has magic powers that work in the real world.
I had this idea too! So I'm not mad after all!
Old 05-28-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jerrycurl
I doubt it. You could clearly see electricity come out of Neo.
Old 05-28-03, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

That EMP blast is what took the sentinals out. Neo knew that the EMP was moments away because his mind now contains some fragment of Agent Smith's consciousness, which was awakened just as Bane triggered the EMP. I like this idea a lot more than the idea that Neo now has magic powers that work in the real world.
No. The EMP blast that Bane triggered happened much earlier than the incident where Neo stopped the sentinels. The ship that comes around the corner and picks up the Nebuchadnezzar crew had already picked up Bane from the earlier EMP blast.

I think that Neo's "powers" in the real world have something to do with his connection to Smith. And since Smith (or some part of him) is now in the real world via Bane that somehow altered the connection he and Neo share. And the EMP blast Bane set off rendered him unconscious, but what did the EMP blast do to Smith.... and hence what did it do to the connection between Neo and Smith??
Old 06-12-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Neo freed his mind.
Me too! And now I can't find it.