Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stanley Cup Playoffs in HD!!!!

Even though I don't care who wins this series Devils vs Mighty Ducks (what a name) I'm looking forward to watching the games in HD on ABC

If it looks as good as the Superbowl did in January we should be in for a real treat!

PS I hopeHockey Night In Canada will show some games next year in HD also

Cheers!
Old 05-26-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah I was excited to see this. ABC HD is decent, not quite as good as CBS, but it should be exciting to watch. Thank god it's not on FOX, my local FOX refuses to relay the HD signal, although I guess this is a problem a lot of people have with FOX.
Old 05-26-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr_Evil
Yeah I was excited to see this. ABC HD is decent, not quite as good as CBS, but it should be exciting to watch. Thank god it's not on FOX, my local FOX refuses to relay the HD signal, although I guess this is a problem a lot of people have with FOX.
Your right CBS+PBS are the best HD by far. Our signal is broadcast from Detroit..We don't have a FOX hd affiliate yet either
Old 05-26-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for your info guys, there are NO FOX HD affiliates anywhere. Fox broadcasts something that it calls 'High Resolution', not 'High Definition'. That's 480p. As far as affilitates that broadcast in high resolution, we have one here in Chicago, and I'm pretty sure a lot of big cities have those.
Old 05-27-03, 12:11 AM

Yep our Atlanta Fox is high resolution but it doesn't even come close to the HD broadcasts on CBS ABC or NBC, I still don't know what Fox is thinking.. 24 could look so much better.. what a shame..
Old 05-27-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
man...wish i could see this...it's not offered up here in the sticks yet....
Old 05-27-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brizz
man...wish i could see this...it's not offered up here in the sticks yet....
Get satellite, man!
Old 05-28-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sucks that last nights game was on ESPNHD. Does anyone even get this channel yet? I know direct hasn't worked out a deal for it yet. Guess I'll have to wait until game 3 to see my HD hockey.
Old 05-28-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It sucks that last nights game was on ESPNHD. Does anyone even get this channel yet? I know direct hasn't worked out a deal for it yet. Guess I'll have to wait until game 3 to see my HD hockey.
Yeah, I was all pumped up to see Game 1 in HD until I realized it was on ESPN. I'm not sure if anyone gets that channel either, when it rolled out, almost no one got it. And it's tough that they can't interrupt the fine programming of ABC (now that's a joke) for Games 1 and 2.
Old 06-01-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great and less filling.
Old 06-01-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The image looked good overall but the presenation (camera angels,play by play etc.) is nowhere near the same calibre as Hockey Night In Canada..

PS. This has to be one of the most boring finals ever!..Are you reading this Gary Bettman??..Where is the freakin" offense??.
Old 06-02-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by shanester
PS. This has to be one of the most boring finals ever!..Are you reading this Gary Bettman??..Where is the freakin" offense??.
It's been gone for about 10 years. I like how one of the reasons used for the downward scoring is the goaltending. Many of the top goaltenders over this period (Roy, Beezer, Joseph, Richter, Belfour etc.) were in the league when the scoring was very high. Did a majority of the league's goalies improve dramatically overnight? Or could it be the league seen a shift in tactics (And watering down of talent) that has led to games with fewer shot totals?

I used to be a huge NHL fan, I used to subscribe to the Hockey News so I could read up on the draft, but now don't even notice it's existence.
Old 06-02-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shanester
The image looked good overall but the presenation (camera angels,play by play etc.) is nowhere near the same calibre as Hockey Night In Canada..

I don't like the camera shots that ABC was using either. They zoom them in too much on most of the angles. What was with the standard camera that was high above the rink that they would cut away to for a minute at a time? They need to watch and HDNet broadcast (I think they had some college or junior games on a while ago) and see how you're supposed to broadcast a hockey game.
Old 06-02-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AXP 103
It's been gone for about 10 years. I like how one of the reasons used for the downward scoring is the goaltending. Many of the top goaltenders over this period (Roy, Beezer, Joseph, Richter, Belfour etc.) were in the league when the scoring was very high. Did a majority of the league's goalies improve dramatically overnight? Or could it be the league seen a shift in tactics (And watering down of talent) that has led to games with fewer shot totals?

I used to be a huge NHL fan, I used to subscribe to the Hockey News so I could read up on the draft, but now don't even notice it's existence.
Well said!!

It's the f****n "trap"!!. It ruining the game..All these coaches emphasing defense defense defense. Bring back the wide open hockey of those great 80's Oilers teams that was exciting to watch as a fan

I can't watch an entire game during the season..
Old 06-02-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like the camera shots that ABC was using either. They zoom them in too much on most of the angles. What was with the standard camera that was high above the rink that they would cut away to for a minute at a time? They need to watch and HDNet broadcast (I think they had some college or junior games on a while ago) and see how you're supposed to broadcast a hockey game.
I agree totally!! ABC had their cameras positioned too high halfway up the stands and I despise those power play shots behind the goalie..Gives you a very poor angle of the overall power play