Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

6.1? 7.1? Please set me straight!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 08:23 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay, so I finally broke down and picked up my second receiver (Pioneer D812) and I have a question...

I'm thinking about hooking up a single rear speaker (behind the viewing area) in addition to the surrounds already in place.

Please tell me- do any discs play the back channel? Is it a separate track only on a few discs (I've noticed that when I played E.T. in DTS for a few minutes, the receiver said "6.1 MATRIX,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH..." or something like that.)? I know "Planet Of The Apes" (2001) lists 5.1 DTS...

Also, being new to DTS, can anyone point me to a site which list all region 1 DTS releases?
Old 05-25-03, 09:48 PM
TAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 6.1? 7.1? Please set me straight!

Originally posted by Mao

Also, being new to DTS, can anyone point me to a site which list all region 1 DTS releases?
I think Gladiator and Seven both have 6.1. Maybe Blade II. As far as listing DTS I use dvdpricesearch.com, and in the search just put in dts. It brings up a nice list.
Old 05-25-03, 10:45 PM

from what i know there are many 6.1 movies. The Haunting, T2 speical edtion, seven, gladiator, lord of the rings, blade 2. i cant remeber anyothers but you just got to look they are there.
look for DTS-ES and DD-EX thoughs are 6.1
Old 05-26-03, 12:58 AM

Here you go!!!

Or, for strictly DTS titles.
Old 05-26-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The DTS-ES discrete "Haunting" has one scene (chapter 17, I think - the one with the staircase) that's a pretty amazing demonstration of 6.1 surround. "Cast Away" is also 6.1 (although not discrete - it's matrix). "Blade II" and "Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition" also have excellent DTS 6.1 tracks.
Old 05-26-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GO PUT IN LOTR:FOTR EE NOW!!! and then switch to the "cave troll" scene...The freaking Troll is RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Old 05-26-03, 06:32 PM
Mao

Thanks for all your help...felt like a dufus and went to the dts site right after I posted this...

But another question is this:

If dts 6.1 ES is an actual 6th channel track, then what does the matrix do? Do it mix sounds from the left and right surrounds?

Watched "Roger Rabbit" last night in dts matrix 6.1 (without hooking up the 6th speaker) and there was very little action from the surrounds anyway. So I wondered what the point of 6.1 matrix would be...
Old 05-26-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

think of the matrixing as being "pro logic" for the rear center, Discrete would be the equivilent of going from PL to 5.1...That said...I personally thing 6.1 matrixed is still better than 5.1
Old 05-31-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may already know this, but there is a DTS ES Discrete and a DTS ES Matrix. The Matrix version just combines the rear channels, but discrete has its own seperate channel. Dolby Digital EX, I believe, is only matrixed. The first movie with DDEX was Phantom Menace followed by The Spy who Shagged Me. These cases are not marked EX, but they do have them.
Old 06-02-03, 11:23 AM

If dts 6.1 ES is an actual 6th channel track, then what does the matrix do? Do it mix sounds from the left and right surrounds?
Read the following article on Dolby Website - A Listener's Guide to Dolby Digital EX (partial quotes) ...

In the Cinema

Dolby Digital Surround EX adds to Dolby Digital 5.1 movie soundtracks a third surround channel, reproduced by speakers positioned directly behind the audience. This extra rear surround channel works with the usual left and right surround channels to produce an intensified realism that draws you even further into the action. (See Figure 1.) As a result, alien creatures can circle all around you, fighter planes can fly directly over you, and rain can pour down all around you more realistically than ever before.

Figure 1: Dolby Digital Surround EX in the cinema

The additional back surround information is encoded onto the regular left and right surround channels of otherwise conventional Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. In cinemas equipped with Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding, the added information is reproduced as a third surround channel. In cinemas without Surround EX decoding, the extra information is played through the regular left and right surround channels, so no information is lost.

In the Home

Feature films originally released in Dolby Digital Surround EX carry the encoded third surround channel in their subsequent DVD releases, as well as onto 5.1-channel digital satellite and terrestrial TV broadcasts. If your home theater system has a receiver or preamp/processor with Dolby Digital EX decoding-the home version of Surround EX-you can hear Surround EX soundtracks as they were meant to be heard, with the increased realism created by the extra surround channel. As in the cinema, with regular 5.1-channel Dolby Digital playback no sonic information is lost (although you'll miss out on the heightened realism).

Newer Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks contain a digital flag which can automatically activate the EX decoding in a receiver or preamp/processor. For titles released prior to late 2001, however, you need to turn on the EX decoding manually.

Although Dolby Digital EX decoding is intended for soundtracks that have been Surround EX encoded, you may find that some regular 5.1-channel soundtracks sound quite good with EX decoding switched on. Its effectiveness varies from soundtrack to soundtrack, so be sure to try it both ways.
So, based on my experience with 'forcing-on' the Matrix-6.1 mode with my Yamaha RX-V1300, I don't see any reason NOT TO 'Force-ON' the Matrix-6.1 mode to watch my blockbuster DD/DTS-5.1 DVD's!!!

Watching Star Trek Nemesis w/Matrix-6.1 ON just heightened the realism by correctly adding the Rear Center Channel seamlessly to the Surround ambience and effects, matching the action on the screen impressively. Ex. Picard and the Argo get-away action sequence; Scimitar battle scenes vs. the 1701-E and eventual Romulan Bird of Prey's; etc.

Phil
Old 06-02-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
GO PUT IN LOTR:FOTR EE NOW!!! and then switch to the "cave troll" scene...The freaking Troll is RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
What is that scene like with a 5.1 setup? I don't have any experience with anything more than 5.1 but even stereo can do a decent job of approximating locations that seemingly come from behind you if they desire to can't they?
Old 06-04-03, 06:39 PM
Mao

Okay, here's another one:

How can some of the titles on these lists be both DTS 6.1 Matrix and Discrete?