Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mystery Man at the end: NOT BANE! (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but, it seems to me that it is a foregone conclusion in everyone's mind that the sole survivor of the failed EMP ambush, and the man lying across from the comatose Neo at the end of the film, is Bane. However after watching TMR a second and third time I can say with some certainty that it is not. To me it appears to be Bane's fellow rebel Malachi. This is the man that jumped through the glass ceiling with Bane during their flight from Agent Smith and the one who went through the phone before we see Bane assimilated by said agent. He appears again during Lock's hearing with the Zion Council telling the now Smith infected Bane to be quiet after he tries to coerce Roy Jones Jr.'s character into volunteering to find the Nebuchadnezzar. Also during the trailer after the credits, as well as in some of the Revolutions trailers floating around the net, there is a brief clip of two men fighting aboard one of the ships that the rebels employed. Might this be Malachi attempting to thwart Bane/Smiths sabotage efforts? Seems as though he may falsely be thought of as a traitor in the next film if the dialogue before the ending is any indication as well. Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-03, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mystery man at the end laying down is bane.

The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was an african american, who is the same person who delivered the message in person to neo at his door.

Bane is indeed the person on the table as the other rebel who broke through the glass with him didn't have such a thick mustache/beard.

I can tell you for certain that it was bane on the table . You will also find in the Enter the Matrix cut scenes that it appears Bane is walking out of his ship with a lot of dead bodies on the floor. if this is not a clear sign that he killed them and that he is indeed the traitor then I don't know what logic you are subscribed to.

In short. It's bane at the end.. the trailer shows clips of two people fighting. I assume it is Bane and link or the operator of the ship. They also state that they only found 1 survivor in the wreckage.. This would be bane.. Malachi is part of banes ship so anyone else who was on that ship died from either the attack or at the hands of bane. Simple fact.. bane is the one laying on the table.

end of story.
Old 05-25-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was an african american, who is the same person who delivered the message in person to neo at his door.
[Off topic] Might want to show a little more respect to that African American and call him by name. Roy Jones Jr. is one BMF and I was pleasantly surprised to see him in this movie.[/off topic]

BTW: I agree that it is Bane.
Old 05-25-03, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 05-25-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen it FOUR times so far, and it most certainly is BANE

MATT
Old 05-25-03, 05:18 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
[Off topic] Might want to show a little more respect to that African American and call him by name. Roy Jones Jr. is one BMF and I was pleasantly surprised to see him in this movie.[/off topic]
And I was pleasantly surprised that he could actually act.
Old 05-25-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You call "Shut you hole, Bane, before I put you in one!" acting?
Old 05-25-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought that was Roy Jones but I wasn't sure. He does a little bit of fighting in Enter The Matrix.
Old 05-25-03, 08:07 PM

And refer to him as his proper title. Captain Bullard.
Old 05-25-03, 10:52 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
You call "Shut you hole, Bane, before I put you in one!" acting?
he had several lines, and could've easily blown them, but he did a competent job. especially for an athlete. remember Kazaam, Steel, Conan the Destroyer, Double Team?

Last edited by TCG; 05-29-03 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

SO who the hell is he???
Old 05-28-03, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

btw.... it IS BANE!!!
Old 05-29-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm confused. i thought BANE was the sidekick to Posion Ivy in Batman and Robin.....

PS-- it was BANE on the table
Old 05-29-03, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

BUT WHO IS Roy Jones Jr.????? Never heard of him.....
Old 05-29-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Roy Jones Jr. is pound for pound the best boxer currently fighting nowadays. But he's not a heavyweight, so he doesn't get the press as those big boxers get.
Old 05-29-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TCG
And I was pleasantly surprised that he could actually act.
Keanu could use that special effect.
Old 05-30-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope you're kidding, right?

You can't honestly expect someone to know the name of every bit actor in a movie like this. All Jackskeleton was doing was pointing out that wat's-his-name couldn't have been Bane because he had the wrong color skin. Just as acceptable (in my book) as "The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was a woman" or "The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was a teenager".
Old 05-30-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Peep
I hope you're kidding, right?

You can't honestly expect someone to know the name of every bit actor in a movie like this. All Jackskeleton was doing was pointing out that wat's-his-name couldn't have been Bane because he had the wrong color skin. Just as acceptable (in my book) as "The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was a woman" or "The person who tells Bane to shut his hole in the meeting was a teenager".
You didn't happen to miss this at the end of the sentence did you? You can take my post any way you want. All I am saying is that I hope Roy is not a member of dvdtalk for your sake.<---- look here!!!!

Last edited by Ketamine; 05-30-03 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-07-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was upset when Bane didn't break Neo's back and then some lame replacement showed up and donned neo's sunglasses and jacket...
Old 06-08-03, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Um, not for nothing, but it *is* Bane at the end of the table, and for those who were paying attention, we know that this character is really
Spoiler:
Agent Smith, who inhabited his body when he was transmitted out of the Matrix - that's why he was cutting his own hand with the knife before attempting to assassinate Neo - he was checking to see if it was REAL - of course, that he's just in another Matrix beneath the original Matrix may catch him by surprise. I wonder how many matrixes deep they are?

-- Jough
Old 06-09-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always wondered about that knife thing - maybe it has more significance? In the game Enter the Matrix, in one of the film clips, Bane cuts again into his hand later, before he sets off the EMP, as if he were forming a tic-tac-toe board in his hand. He wouldn't need to check AGAIN if it was real, would he?
Old 06-09-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I don't think he was checking but rather enjoying experiencing "real" sensations like pain. (I used real in quote marks cos we're all still debating here if the real world is indeed real.) Remember, up until then he's only experienced a computer simulation of all the sensations found in the real world. Now he's getting to try out the real thing.
Old 06-09-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just double checking I assume since what's real isn't always what's real in his reality.
Old 06-09-03, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Perhaps Smith isn't aware of the sub-matrix...

I know a lot of the interplay between reality/simulation from the first film was based on a few essays by Jean Baudrilliard (particularly "Simulacra et Simulations" - the phrase "Welcome to the desert of the real" comes from that essay) and Baudrilliard's main theories are about not simulations, but simulations of simulations - wherein the "real" is based on a simulation, and thus cannot be trusted.

So it stands to reason that the "Matrix-in-a-Matrix" theory would be valid. What if the nature of reality is completely alien from what we know?

I think it was supposed in the first film that *we* are living in the Matrix - what if the religious imagery in the film is not there because of the bible (and other sacred texts)? What if the bible was written because it reflects the Matrix?

-- Jough
Old 06-09-03, 03:10 PM

Is Bane a member of Roy Jones Jr.'s ship-crew in the movie, or is he on a different ship?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.