Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Almighty.....saw the trailers which is same as seeing the movie in theaters!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bruce Almighty.....saw the trailers which is same as seeing the movie in theaters!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm gonna pass on seeing Bruce Almighty. I think this is a funny concept, especially with Jim Carrey. However, I think I've seen so much of the movie in different trailers, I no longer believe I need to see the movie in theaters because I've seen many / most of the truly funny seens. Granted there is a whole strory that revolves around these scenes, I just no longer feel the need to pay for a movie that I've already seen in the previews. Too many previews!!!!!
Old 05-24-03, 12:20 PM
Banned

I think the movie is a horrible concept. I could understand if he was a genie, but God? Wasted potential.
Old 05-24-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the idea of having absolute power is extremely intriguing, and putting Jim Carrey in it was pure genius...but they don't milk it for all it's worth... I still think this is an idea that could be taken to the extreme and would make an extremely hilarious movie... Bruce is a funny movie, but not extremely hilarious...

oh, and some of the funniest bits aren't in the previews...but most of the good stuff has been seen....

MATT
Old 05-25-03, 10:35 PM

Very well then. I saw the movie and came out pleased. It didn't have alot of funny stuff in it. Not laugh out loud like some of his older movies. I actually enjoyed some of the sappy scenes very much so.

One thing though. This movie has the longest, and funniest, "Jim Carey Style" twitching, blurburing, noise making scenes in Jim Carey History. The Man who plays Steve Carrel on Comedy Central did an excellent job. It Caried on longer than Jim's Scene in Lair Lair. And if you dig that stuff that scene is worth the addmision, honestly. ::In my opinion::
Old 05-25-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
IMHO the movie is 180 from what the preview seems like.
Old 05-26-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Teremei

The Man who plays Steve Carrel on Comedy Central did an excellent job.
Ummm, you mean the man who is Steve Carrel?... or more precisely... Steve Carrel
Old 05-26-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pulling in $86.4 million isn't to shabby! Good Job Jim!
Old 05-26-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 356 Likes on 230 Posts
I saw it today and thought it was great. There's a lot more to it than what's in the previews, both in story and in funny scenes (it wasn't a cheap, one laugh movie with all the jokes already shown).

tasha
Old 05-27-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Bruce Almighty.....saw the trailers which is same as seeing the movie in theaters!!

Originally posted by photoflow
I think I'm gonna pass on seeing Bruce Almighty. I think this is a funny concept, especially with Jim Carrey. However, I think I've seen so much of the movie in different trailers, I no longer believe I need to see the movie in theaters because I've seen many / most of the truly funny seens. Granted there is a whole strory that revolves around these scenes, I just no longer feel the need to pay for a movie that I've already seen in the previews. Too many previews!!!!!

There is a lot that is not shown in the previews.... Funny movie, easily worth seeing.

But your thead title gives the impression that you actually saw the movie, and didn't need to because you saw the previews.
Old 05-27-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to see that not all of the laughable scenes were given away in the previews. Overall - good Carrey flick. Very enjoyable.
Old 05-27-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it on Saturday and liked it a lot.
Old 05-27-03, 10:54 AM

I tell you it's rare when a part of a movie makes me laugh so much that I cry. But that scene with Steven Carell as the newscaster doing live news and Jim Carrey starts manipulating him, is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was so embarrassing the amount of tears streaming down my face.

Overall it was a pretty good movie, but that 2 minute scene was the highlight by far. I remember seeing Steven Carell on 'Watching Ellie' and thought he was pretty funny. But who knew that he could give Jim Carrey a run for his money with regards to funny noises and facial expressions.

This should show Jim Carrey that he should stick to making these kinds of movies. They always give him his biggest openings. His more serious or less comedic roles are good, but they don't bring in his fans.

Chris
Old 06-04-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
imo there's more to this movie than just the humor
there's some stuff to make you think, without being extremely obvious or forceful about it
Old 06-04-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
I tell you it's rare when a part of a movie makes me laugh so much that I cry. But that scene with Steven Carell as the newscaster doing live news and Jim Carrey starts manipulating him, is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was so embarrassing the amount of tears streaming down my face.
I felt the same way about the
Spoiler:
Jimmy Hoffa and comet scenes

Those were priceless.

Overall, I thought was one par with Liar Liar, which I liked a lot.