Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Isn't it funny how we can get so attached to some TV shows?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The finale of Buffy The Vampire Slayer brought back memories of previous series finale's, and how I became almost depressed because I wouldn't have a new episode of Babylon 5 or DS9 or TNG to look forward to.

In the big scheme of things it seems pretty silly, but going week after week with characters that you grow fond of, and following storylines that intrigue and interest you, it's hard to let go.

Thank God for DVD's!

When TNG ended it's run, I was pretty glad to see them moving it to the big screen - the 7th season was so hit and miss it drove me nuts! ("Masaka is waking" - ) Still, I missed having it around. It's like that now with Buffy - the last two seasons were frustratingly poor at times, while incredibly entertaining at others. Honestly? I'll even miss bitching about crappy episodes.

I guess there will always be something on worth watching. I don't know how many times that they'll come up with shows as special as B5, TNG, DS9, E.R, Buffy, and Angel, though. There doesn't seem to be much out there right now that stacks up to that bunch (yeah, I know, E.R. and Angel are still on - Angel is still great, but I haven't watched E.R. much since Anthony Edwards left).

I didn't see any new shows on the networks' schedules that really excited me. At least The Shield and Dragnet are both good newer shows....

Thank God for DVD's!

(I've really got to get a life.....)
Old 05-23-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to be honest, I don't seem to mind a fav show going off the air if it had a good run and it gets a nice send off. Being for the most part, even the best of shows tend to head off track after a few years. Rather see a show I really like end then get so bad I can't stand to watch it anymore.

No in the end it's shows I really like, that just **poof** go away that bugs the heck of out me. It's not too bad if the show has no real story arch from ep to ep, like Special Unit 2 for example.

Oh but it's really bad for shows like "Profit".. I loved that show! With the whole, is he a bad guy or a good guy? WTF?!?! He sleeps in a box? Errr wait maybe he was raised in a box?! errr what?! (If some of you never saw they show you will have no idea what I'm talking about) The actor in it was very good (Adrian Pasdar) and the show was on air for ONE season and cliff hanger-ed big time and................. sigh will never know what happened. BLAH!!
Old 05-23-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally watched the Biography episode for Buffy, and boy did that hour bring back some solid memories.
Old 05-23-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell me about it. I still get pissed whenever I finish watching the last episode of Sports Night on DVD and realize I don't have the next DVD to play...
Old 05-23-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not as bad when there are other great shows to watch, but this year the well's starting to dry up.

Maybe "attached" isn't the most accurate term - maybe "addicted," would be closer to the truth.

I'm going through withdrawls....
Old 05-23-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Isn't it funny how we can get so attached to some TV shows?

• Quoth B5Erik •<HR SIZE=1>(I've really got to get a life.....) <HR IZE=1>

Hang strong, my brother.

To this date, I honestly can't think of anything that compares to the way I felt watching 'Sleeping in Light' the first time. I don't think I've ever become so attached to the characters of any fictional material like I did to those, and the bittersweet, brilliant concluding hours were an emotional rollercoaster that still gives me chills years later.

Now, the anticipation of Tuesday nights that I've clung to for 7 years (Mondays before) is difficult to shake. I don't know when it will really sink in that it's over.

I sometimes wonder what the next show will be that I become so emotionally attached to ...

das

P.S. I've still yet to come to grips with the end of SportsNight.
Old 05-23-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still haven't gotten over the shabby treatment that Crusade got. The last 4 or 5 shows aired on TNT were outstanding - and TNT just let it go, and USA2, I mean SciFi Channel declined to pick it up.... That really pissed me off.

I'm still waiting to find out how that story ends.
Old 05-23-03, 11:19 AM
Banned

If not for HBO's recent monopoly of Sunday Night TV, just think how lost we would have been when the Simpsons finally ends.
Old 05-23-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bust
If not for HBO's recent monopoly of Sunday Night TV, just think how lost we would have been when the Simpsons finally ends.
Can anyone who watches Simpsons even imagine a Sunday without them?

It's seems like eons ago they were on against The Cosby Show on Thursdays.
Old 05-23-03, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chew
Can anyone who watches Simpsons even imagine a Sunday without them?
I can't even imagine the words: Simpsons Series Finale

Even though it will inevitably happen some day. It would be impossible for one episode to do justice to the series. It would almost have to be a Simpsons feature length movie to end it off. Well written of course.
Old 05-24-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still miss Seinfeld
Old 05-24-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I usually get attached to a lot of anime series.
Old 05-24-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I got "attached" to the 3 Degrassi series through the years when it was on (not the new one; haven't bothered with it), and I was also a faithful viewer of Unsolved Mysteries, Family Ties, and Wonder Years.
Old 05-24-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts
All my favorite shows--B5, Farscape, DS9, Buffy, Angel, and The Black Adder are on DVD.

tasha
Old 05-24-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Once a show ends, it feels like its over.

Yes, I can watch Buffy on FX, and I have all the episode of Farscape and Homicide on tape and I can watch them at my will.

But its like looking at a picture, while when the show is in first run, it has life. I can still enjoy them, but I feel that the show and characters are gone. (Maybe its just me)

But for people really attached to a TV show, go to the Buffy Auction on Ebay. Some people are paying thousands of dollars for non descript props. 800 bucks for a doorbell?? Give me the money!!!
Old 05-24-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I may have gotten attached/addicted to shows like B5 (the best show ever on TV), ST:TNG, ST: DS9, Buffy, Angel, etc, but I'd never bid hundreds or thousands of dollars for props with an original value of $20.

But I might bid $50 for an item like that!

(IF it was something actually onscreen....)

And clemente I know what you mean about the shows having life the first time you watch them, and then losing that to a point upon further viewings. There's something of a rush when a new episode of a show like that is on, and that excitement is gone once the show has completed its run. That's what I really miss - I'll never get a rush like I had for new episodes of Babylon 5 again.

But at times Buffy came close. (And shows like E.R, The Shield, ST: TNG & DS9, Stargate SG1, Angel, etc have all been close...)
Old 05-25-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty much all the shows you guys have mentioned. For me the biggest one is DS9 as its my favorite tv show ever. However i can still get my fix because the story has continued in the books, so even though there wont be a movie for it the charectors live on. The books are very very good

capt
Old 05-25-03, 01:47 PM
Banned

I've seen some scary nutcases online who say they hate Enterprise with a passion, yet watch every minute of it and spend the other 23 hours of the day bitching and moaning left and right about it with no end in sight. So despite the fact that they say it's a waste of their time, it's ALL THEY HAVE to spend their time on.
Old 05-25-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Yeah, it was annoying that Crusade never got a chance to live on -- especially if you read the two scripts (the season 1 plot twist episode and season 1 finale) that JMS posted online after the show went off the air. They showed that Crusade, as some of us guessed, had very little to do with the Drakh plague, and there was a far more interesting story arc behind it.