International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

My Little Eye (R2)

Old 05-22-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Little Eye (R2)

I'm not much of a reviewer, but thought it would be worth mentioning how fantastic this DVD is.

For those who aren't familiar with the movie, it involves five people signing up for a "Big Brother"-style webcast where they live in a secluded house for six months to win $1,000,000 -- but if anyone leaves, they all lose. You know going in that there's something sinister afoot, but the fun is watching how it all plays out. Since it's all done to look like an actual webcast, there are loads of odd camera angles and night vision shots that give a convincing voyeuristic feel.

The sound is interestingly handled: white noise, modem squeals and buzzing, and radio interference subtly (and not so subtly) drone throughout much of the movie, swelling up to extreme levels during more intense scenes, which really got my heart pounding.

I haven't gotten to the extras on the second disc yet, but they appear to be mainly typical DVD bonus features. The real treat is the interative mode on disc 1. It's setup like a web site, complete with a login screen (you have to find the access code hidden on the DVD packaging itself!). You can view the five contestants' audition tapes, archival footage (i.e. deleted scenes) will become unlocked as the movie progresses, there's a motion tracker that activates when someone is in the house, and even an alternate audio track that allows you to listen in on walkie-talkie conversations the website operators are having about the people. It's all amazingly well-scripted, and probably one of the coolest DVD features I've ever seen.

Overall, I thought it was an extrememly slick, scary, and unnerving flick. I don't know if there's any US release planned for the movie or the DVD, which seems odd, as all the actors seem to be American, it takes place in the US, and I have a feeling it'd do quite well if released here. All in all, I'd definitely give this my highest recommendation.
Old 05-23-03, 02:21 AM

I've been trying to find a place where I can purchase this at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I can only find the DVD at blackstar, and they aint cheap. If anyone knows where I can get it for a better price, it'd be appreciate it. Bearing that in mind, anyone know where The Bunker, Funny Games, and Irreversible can be had also for good prices?
Thanx
Old 05-23-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why can't there be consistent reviews of this? I've heard reviews ranging from negative to positive, which is impeding any purchase plan...
Old 05-23-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by bobertkay99
I've been trying to find a place where I can purchase this at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I can only find the DVD at blackstar, and they aint cheap. If anyone knows where I can get it for a better price, it'd be appreciate it. Bearing that in mind, anyone know where The Bunker, Funny Games, and Irreversible can be had also for good prices?
Thanx
you can get IRREVERSIBLE from cdwow.com for 19.99$ shipped to the States. I pre-ordered mine last week.

http://www1.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=5651

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-23-03 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bearing that in mind, anyone know where The Bunker, Funny Games, and Irreversible can be had also for good prices?
If you're not opposed to Ebay, there are good deals on R2 DVDs to be found. I got My Little Eye brand new from a US-based seller for $15. Got my copy of The Bunker from Blackstar as part of a combo deal with 28 Days Later (total was around £23 for both).

Any particular reason you want the Funny Games import? A R1 DVD is available for under $10. I don't think it's edited or censored...
Old 05-23-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well....the FoxLorber dvd of the Haneke film is bad, I mean really BAD. Non-anamorphic and with horrible transfer. At best FUNNY GAMES has a VHS quality.
Old 05-23-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also like to find a reasonable place to buy My Little Eye as $30 or more is a little steep right now.
Old 05-23-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Amazon.co.uk is usually cheaper than Blackstar, and additionally they will deduct the VAT from international purchases (which Blackstar doesn't), so your final price is lower than what is listed on the web site. I've completely switched over to them. Shipping is fast and reasonably priced, and if you have problems their service is very good.
Old 05-25-03, 12:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Why can't there be consistent reviews of this? I've heard reviews ranging from negative to positive, which is impeding any purchase plan...
The only review I have read, (UK DVD magazines DVD Review) was raving how interactive and complete the supplements were for such a low budget film (they also liked the film).
Old 05-25-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is the story on the US release of this film? Is it even ever going to get a theatrical release in the US? I'd like to know whether it will be worth waiting for it to come to region 1 with the same features.
Old 05-27-03, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The only thing I read about a US release is that is getting an extremely limited release in a couple of cities, and then depending on how it does may or might not expand... check out Fangoria's website I think they mention this.