Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King should write a sequel to THE STAND

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stephen King should write a sequel to THE STAND

The novel could be called Our Founding Fathers (And Mothers), and it could be written like a history book. It would tell the histories of Stuart Redman, Frannie Goldsmith, and the rest, and it could take place 200 years after Captain Trips, to give it a real historic perspective. It would outline the life history of Peter Goldsmith-Redman, the son of Frannie and the first post-flu child of the New World.

Nice idea, huh?
Old 05-22-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wouldn't it be kinda dry without a new evil, supernatural villain to run amok? I can't really think of a hook that would make me want to read it. Maybe if it was targeted at a Grapes of Wrath type audience it would find readership, but I don't think straight history would find much favor with King fans.
Old 05-22-03, 02:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, the "Dark Tower" series is a sort-of sequel.
Old 05-22-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wouldn't have to be a very big book - perhaps 200-300 pages, just so we can have a glimpse of life after The Stand ends. It would imagine there to be much adventure and storytelling, especially in regards to Peter and how the superflu affected the rest of the newborns to come after.

They'd have had to set up colonies, like our own real forefathers, and it would be interesting to see how Stuart Redman is regarded and remembered 200 years later, and how different/the same the world is from how it was.

I'd be intrigued to see how Larry Underwood, Glen Bateman, and Ralph Brentner maintain their martyr-dome through the centuries, and if they could have possibly imagined just exactly might have happened in Vegas before the explosion. And Harold Lauder would have become that world's Benedict Arnold - would he be considered misunderstood, or truly a despised individual?

Last edited by Buttmunker; 05-22-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's up to Faithful Reader to determine what happens next. Most of his books leave you with a "I wonder what happens next" feeling.
Old 05-22-03, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Wouldn't it be kinda dry without a new evil, supernatural villain to run amok? .
I found the Good v Evil part of the book a little "dry" if that's the right word. It was like King used religion to hold the readers hand while they walked through an interesting horror/survival story. I think I'd enjoy the book with a historical perspective but you're right; it definitely would'nt enjoy popular support from the fans.
Old 05-24-03, 02:04 AM
Banned

Flagg ain't dead, man!
Old 05-25-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course Flagg ain't dead cause he's still chillin' in the DT series.

Anyways, according to the foreword of the STAND's unabridged edition, he will not be writing a sequel. I think the book is perfect as it is.
Old 05-27-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mytzplyx

Anyways, according to the foreword of the STAND's unabridged edition, he will not be writing a sequel. I think the book is perfect as it is.
Yeah, yeah, yeah! And King wrote in Nightmares and Dreamscapes that he would not write anymore books of short stories...then, a few years later, he published Everything's Eventual.

I take King with a grain of salt.