Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Tivo or Replay TV?

kramdenfan
05-21-03, 11:28 AM
Hi All-

Moderators- if this is in the wrong forum, I appologize-

Can someone tell me which they prefer and why? I'm planning on purchasing a Replay TV, but with the talk of Tivo, I'm not sure which has the better deals.... I like the fact that Replay TV has the option for a lifetime subscription- does Tivo have that? What about costs? They seem about the same to me.....

Thanks for any info-
Kramdenfan

Red Dog
05-21-03, 11:56 AM
They both offer lifetime subscriptions. I am very familiar with both and my recommendation comes down to this:

If you have cable/digital cable, go with Replay
If you have Direct-TV, go with TIVO (DirecTIVO)

Tsar Chasm
05-21-03, 11:57 AM
TiVo has a lifetime subscription option (currently $299)

Replay (SonicBlue) went bankrupt

I just purchased my second series 2 Tivo 80 hour ($249)

You would probably be better served in the DVDHardware forum.

Red Dog
05-21-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
TiVo has a lifetime subscription option (currently $299)

Replay (SonicBlue) went bankrupt

I just purchased my second series 2 Tivo 80 hour ($249)

You would probably be better served in the DVDHardware forum.

Replay was bought by D&M, so Replay is not bankrupt.

I have 2 Replays and could not be happier.

Deftones
05-21-03, 12:00 PM
I have Tivo and couldn't imagine living with out it.

bboisvert
05-21-03, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Red Dog
They both offer lifetime subscriptions. I am very familiar with both and my recommendation comes down to this:

:thumbsup:

kramdenfan -- this is probably going to be the most reasonable response you'll get. I imagine that most of the thread will fill up with people just recommending whatever particular machine they have.

I have ReplayTV... so I recommend you get that. ;)

dgmayor
05-21-03, 12:34 PM
I've also got a replay and love it. With the new software being released in the next week or two, I'm contemplating getting a second since they've added a lot of great features for multiple ReplayTV owners.

http://www.replaytv.com/update/

Chew
05-21-03, 12:38 PM
TIVO! :D

fujishig
05-21-03, 01:21 PM
Tastes Great! Less Filling!

Ah...

I was in the market for a DVR a few months ago, and got a TIVO because it was cheap at the time.

From what I understand:
ReplayTV has that whole online file sharing and automatic commercial skip technology that TIVO doesn't. Of course, these two features are the ones people were suing them over in the first place, so I'm not sure if newer models(the ones that will come out from the company that bought out Replay) will have these features. And I'm sure TIVO will never have them.

TIVO has a better interface. That is to say, the logic that goes behind the "Season Passes" and the conflict resolution is great.
And although there's no automatic 30 second skip button, it is easily programmable.

Both offer monthly and "lifetime" subscriptions, which will last until the end of the box or the end of the company (presumably)

The best, of course, is DirecTIVO, with it's dual tuners and quality. If only they'd let me install the dish on the roof of the apartment...

Roto
05-21-03, 03:35 PM

I also agree with this advice.

I've never had a TIVO, but I've had two Replays. Commercial Advance is a more valuable feature than you'd think. In the future I'd expect Replay to be a little higher end with D&M at the helm

TK-421
05-21-03, 04:10 PM
Tivo is much easier to use, but the ReplayTV has more features to use.. that's the simplest way to boil it down. If you want commercial skip, show sharing, and the ability to import shows to your PC, get a Replay. If you want something easy to use, but has less gadgety features, get a Tivo.

On a related topic, I have a replay 5040 for sale, I used it for a few months and now I need to get rid of it. I paid $250 for it, I'll sell for $175 + shipping if anyone's interested.

Red Dog
05-21-03, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TK-421
Tivo is much easier to use, but the ReplayTV has more features to use.. that's the simplest way to boil it down. If you want commercial skip, show sharing, and the ability to import shows to your PC, get a Replay. If you want something easy to use, but has less gadgety features, get a Tivo.

I personally found Replay easier to use since the To Do and Play Lists are on the same screen. I also found the channel guide easier to navigate.

dstrauss
05-21-03, 06:01 PM
It's already been mentioned twice, but just to counter those that call commercial skip a reason to get a Replay, it's very VERY easy to enable it in Tivo. Honestly, it takes six key presses and about three seconds on the remote.

(And I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm pretty sure the new Tivo Media Services allows for sharing shows between Tivos.)

I have a Tivo, and love it, but a friend has a Replay. The one place where Tivo seems to shine over Replay is in management of future recordings.

futbol
05-21-03, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dstrauss
It's already been mentioned twice, but just to counter those that call commercial skip a reason to get a Replay, it's very VERY easy to enable it in Tivo. Honestly, it takes six key presses and about three seconds on the remote.

(And I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm pretty sure the new Tivo Media Services allows for sharing shows between Tivos.)

I have a Tivo, and love it, but a friend has a Replay. The one place where Tivo seems to shine over Replay is in management of future recordings.

But that's (as far as I understand) not Commercial Advance. Replay's CA jumps over commercials without you having to do anything. Tivo's hack is just a 30-second skip, which is, of course, also useful.

I will simply echo the advice already given. I've got a Replay and love it. Tivo is just too cutesy for me- I don't like their interface or the thumbs up/down. Replay just has so many advantages for me, it was a nobrainer.

And I love being able to download shows off of my Replay onto my computer. Clearly, though, if you've got DirecTV, DirecTivo is the way to go. Otherwise, Replay is much better; I'm biased though. Although it has been mentioned, there is no need to worry about SonicBlue's filing for bankruptcy as the ReplayTV was purchased by the company behind Denon and Marantz, so it is in good hands.

I would recommend you go to the store and look at both of them. See if either immediately appeals to you more than the other (as it did for me).

Keyser Soze
05-22-03, 12:51 AM
I have 2 Tivos and couldn't imagine living with out them.

Do go with the 'lifetime' subscription though, it'll save you $ in the long run.

Check out http://www.tivocommunity.com/

They have alot of info there on how to add hard drives to your unit if you feel like hacking it a little.

My series1 has 100 hours on it, and my series2 unit has 225 hours on it. Once you bump up the recording quality your actual recording time dwindles quite a bit.

RobStone
05-22-03, 08:04 AM
Thnaks for the perm. quote. Anyway TIVO rules. I just got it maybe a montha 2 ago and it is a must have. I looked at the replay and wasn't really impressed and the tivo seems to be upgrading and putting new things in everyday. I am going to need to have a bigger HD soon.

--Rob

das Monkey
05-22-03, 08:24 AM
You'll never find a better product than the DirecTiVo. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise just doesn't want to feel bad for not having one. :D

As for the stand-alones, it's really down to personal preference. Get whichever you feel more comfortable with. Personally, TiVo's Season Pass logic and conflict management are far more important to me than things like commercial skip or show sharing, so I'd get TiVo. Your preferences may vary.

The real bottom line is that users of each seem very happy with their purchase. Neither is a bad product.

das

Red Dog
05-22-03, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dstrauss

That's not CA. With CA, you don't even touch the remote when the commercials come on - it automatically skips them. Plus the macro you set up for TIVO is assuming that every commercial break is the same length.

Darq
05-22-03, 09:29 AM
I've got both a ReplayTV and a TiVo, but i find myself using my ReplayTV about 90% of the time compared to my TiVo. I feel the Channel Guide graphical "grid" of ReplayTV is much more intuitive (for me, at least) than Season Pass. I also find Commerical Advance and Show Sharing very convenient. But you're gonna get tons of differing responses here.

Anyways, as mentioned before REPLAYTV is NOT bankrupt. Denon & Marantz now owns them, and doesn't have any plans on folding the technology.

In any case, TiVo currently charges $299 for lifetime service.
ReplayTV charges $250 -- but start June 1st, this will be increased to $299.99

Best Buy currently has a ReplayTV 5040 on sale for $299 - $50 instant rebate = $249. After the ReplayTV $50 rebate, you're down to $199 (before subscription costs)

If you have a Best Buy 10% coupon for this weekend, you can get the ReplayTV for $199 - 0.10(249) = $174

BenCJedi
05-22-03, 09:46 AM
I've owned my standalone TiVo for 2 and a half years now and it has operated quite well. I just recently installed a Turbonet card and gained the ability for the TiVo to download program updates via my cable Internet connection. I also installed telnet, ftp and remote control through TiVoWeb. Furthermore, I can now extract the video recordings off the TiVo on my home network without any loss of quality. I have no reason to use my VCR anymore. I love how much support has grown in the TiVo hacking community. www.tivocommunity.com is where its at!

Groucho
05-22-03, 09:55 AM
When I read these forums, I see people complaining about having shows cut-off A LOT. When I tape shows with my VCR, I start and stop it 5 minutes before and after the show. Works great.

Is this easy/possible to do with Tivo or ReplayTV, or are you stuck with the times on the schedule? What I'd really like is if I program the unit to record a show, it automatically adds 5 minutes to the beginning or end every time.

For the "Commericial Skip" on ReplayTV, how well does this actually work? Does it often skip a few seconds into the show itself or cause other headaches?

Red Dog
05-22-03, 09:55 AM
Ironically, Comcast mailed me info on their new DVR cable box yesterday. $9.95/month (on top of what I already have). Too bad they didn't roll these about 3 months ago or I would not have bought my 2nd Replay.

Groucho
05-22-03, 09:56 AM
Ironically, Comcast mailed me info on their new DVR cable box yesterday. $9.95/month (on top of what I already have). Too bad they didn't roll these about 3 months ago or I would not have bought my 2nd Replay. Hmm...I have Comcast. Maybe I'll wait and see if they offer this in my area.

Red Dog
05-22-03, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
When I read these forums, I see people complaining about having shows cut-off A LOT. When I tape shows with my VCR, I start and stop it 5 minutes before and after the show. Works great.

Is this easy/possible to do with Tivo or ReplayTV, or are you stuck with the times on the schedule? What I'd really like is if I program the unit to record a show, it automatically adds 5 minutes to the beginning or end every time.

For the "Commericial Skip" on ReplayTV, how well does this actually work? Does it often skip a few seconds into the show itself or cause other headaches?

Keep in mind that cutoffs are the network's fault, not the DVR's fault. You can pad recordings by however many minutes you want in both. Plus if NBC says it is a 40 minute Friends in advance, Replay and TIVO channel guides should automatically pick this up.

As for Commercial Advance in Replay, it isn't perfect. I'd say it works effectively for about 80-85% of the shows. The shows it seems to have the most difficulty with are so-called 'dark' shows - shows that go dark during the broadcast - the best example being Law & Order (when they go to the setting screens). With these kind of shows, you can turn CA off and then use the Quick-Skip button (30 sec jump) to hop through the commercial breaks pretty easily.

Red Dog
05-22-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
Hmm...I have Comcast. Maybe I'll wait and see if they offer this in my area.

You should just call them. Don't wait for them.

Keep in mind that these are pretty simple DVRs and perform just the basics.

kramdenfan
05-22-03, 10:04 AM
They're advertising it big-time with Time Warner. I have Direct TV, tho (I hate TW).

Should the fact that I have Direct TV be a deciding factor (directTivo)?

Thanks for all the tips- I love this forum!!
Kram

Red Dog
05-22-03, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by kramdenfan

Yes.

Chew
05-22-03, 10:08 AM
They're advertising it big-time with Time Warner. I have Direct TV, tho (I hate TW).

Thanks for all the tips- I love this forum!!
Kram

If you have DirecTV, there literally isn't a better DVR for you than a DirecTiVo: digital video (resulting in better picture than an analog standalone DVR), digital audio (Sopranos in 5.1!), two tuners (record two shows at once!), plus all the standard TiVo stuff!

Duran
05-22-03, 10:10 AM
I have TIVO and love it. I am looking to upgrade, though.

Question about ReplayTV - can you connect it to a network for its updates, or does it have to use a phone line. I'm looking to ditch my land line, as currently the only thing I use it for is TIVO.

Chew
05-22-03, 10:11 AM
One other item: the DirecTiVo can be gotten for $200 (it's $5/month). Other than the BB 10% off with $100 in rebates, you can't get a cheaper DVR. (not counting the fact you wouldn't own a Time Warner DVR)

Red Dog
05-22-03, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Duran

Question about ReplayTV - can you connect it to a network for its updates, or does it have to use a phone line. I'm looking to ditch my land line, as currently the only thing I use it for is TIVO.

No phone line necessary for the newer Replays (4500 and 5000 series).

das Monkey
05-22-03, 11:06 AM
Don't forget that the DirecTiVo service is free when you have DirecTV's Total Choice Premium package. I don't pay any monthly fee or any lifetime subscription or anything, and of course, there's no mirroring fee for the second tuner. As has been beaten home in this thread, if you have DirecTV, there is no substitute for DirecTiVo.

das

BenCJedi
05-22-03, 12:53 PM
You can easily ditch the phone line by installing a Turbonet card in your TiVo. I have done this myself (just need to get my phone number changed for banks, utilities, etc to my cell) and then I can totally eliminate my landline. You install a Turbonet card inside your TiVo and change the dialing prefix to ,#401 (I think that was it) and TiVo will then get the programming info via Internet and no longer use the landline phone line. My TiVo has been operating this way for a couple weeks now with no problems. www.9thtee.com sells the official Turbonet card for TiVo.

I have TIVO and love it. I am looking to upgrade, though.

fujishig
05-22-03, 02:37 PM
Do you need the 100 dollar HMO option in order to use the internet for TIVO updates?

FlashStash
05-22-03, 02:37 PM
Some of the ReplayTV features mentioned here might be going away...from wired.com below. I've never used ReplayTV, but am a happy TiVo owner of 2 years...

"ReplayTV said it would likely leave some controversial features on its home television recording machines for now but may strip them from new models.

ReplayTV, the digital video recorder maker purchased last month by Japan's D&M Holdings from bankrupt Sonicblue (SBLU), said it is mulling the fate of ReplayTV's features that skip commercials and send saved programs over the Internet.

"We want to respect the intent of copyright, and give consumers everything that they can get," said Jim Hollingsworth, the president of ReplayTV.

Hollingsworth added that ReplayTV models selling today still include Commercial Advance and Send Show options, but the company has not made up its mind about including those features in future products.

Two years ago when ReplayTV introduced its 4000 series of digital recorders, those services upset major media players such as Walt Disney (DIS), Viacom (VIA) and the TV networks, which filed lawsuits against Sonicblue claiming that ReplayTV violated copyright laws and robbed them of ad revenue.

Hollingsworth said the old lawsuits remain with Sonicblue, which no longer has any consumer electronics assets. But current ReplayTV recorders still offer the features that prompted the ire of those media companies. "

lisadoris
05-22-03, 02:45 PM
Question, I am considering a PVR this weekend (gotta love best buy's preferred custom weekend) and I have one question.

From reading the posts it seems like the Direct Tivo is the only one that has the ability to tape two shows at once. Is this true? So if I want to tape Ed and Enterprise in the fall will the PVR tape one and the VCR tape the other or would I be out of luck?

Chew
05-22-03, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by lisadoris
Question, I am considering a PVR this weekend (gotta love best buy's preferred custom weekend) and I have one question.

From reading the posts it seems like the Direct Tivo is the only one that has the ability to tape two shows at once. Is this true? So if I want to tape Ed and Enterprise in the fall will the PVR tape one and the VCR tape the other or would I be out of luck?

DishNet has a two tuner PVR, but it costs big $$$. The standalones do not have two tuners (at least, not yet). Depending on your set-up (if you have cable), you could just split the signal and have both a VCR and PVR record at the same time.

JM
05-22-03, 02:58 PM

As for Commercial Advance in Replay, it isn't perfect. I'd say it works effectively for about 80-85% of the shows. The shows it seems to have the most difficulty with are so-called 'dark' shows - shows that go dark during the broadcast - the best example being Law & Order (when they go to the setting screens). With these kind of shows, you can turn CA off and then use the Quick-Skip button (30 sec jump) to hop through the commercial breaks pretty easily.

I echo what Red Dog said. However, I will add that with the newly released 5.0 software ReplayTV's Commercial Advance is much improved. I haven't watched the particularly troublesome "dark" shows like "Alias" since 5.0, but shows like "According to Jim" and "My Wife and Kids" have skipped commercials PERFECTLY since 5.0.

Also, I'd like to add that conflict management is improved in 5.0 (though still needs some work) and you can now choose to record first-run episodes only (no repeats). However, the fun with 5.0 really starts when you have multiple 5xxx machines. When there is a time conflict, you can schedule a program to be recorded on another unit on your network without having to physically go to that unit. You can also begin watching on a RTV in the living room and pick up where you left of in the bedroom.

With D&M at the helm, the future for ReplayTV is bright. 5.0 is only the beginning of many good things to come I'm sure...

Red Dog
05-22-03, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JM
I echo what Red Dog said. However, I will add that with the newly released 5.0 software ReplayTV's Commercial Advance is much improved. I haven't watched the particularly troublesome "dark" shows like "Alias" since 5.0, but shows like "According to Jim" and "My Wife and Kids" have skipped commercials PERFECTLY since 5.0.

Yeah - I've heard about the improvement. This is only for 5000 series owners, correct? Unfortunately, I have a 4508 (besides my Showstopper).

fujishig
05-22-03, 04:33 PM
I don't think the standalone boxes will have dual tuners anytime soon. The SA boxes have to encode the incoming video and then decode it when it plays back. To be able to tape two shows simultaneously, there will have to be two mpeg encoders in the box, which would almost double the price. They're having a hard enough time selling the boxes at the current price.

The way DirecTIVO gets around this is because the DirecTV feed is purely digital, it doesn't even need an encoder... it just streams it. The "downside" is that you can't choose your quality, as everything is recorded in "Best" which means that you get the least amount of recording time per harddrive space.

JM
05-22-03, 05:14 PM
Yeah - I've heard about the improvement. This is only for 5000 series owners, correct? Unfortunately, I have a 4508 (besides my Showstopper).

Yes, currently it is for the 5k boxes only. It is unclear at this point whether the 4k boxes will ever get the 5.0 update to allow streaming between 5k and 4k boxes. There are indications both ways from the folks at SB/DM.

nevermind
05-22-03, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by fujishig

The "downside" is that you can't choose your quality, as everything is recorded in "Best" which means that you get the least amount of recording time per harddrive space.

I believe it uses Variable Bit Rate though, so a 60 minute talk show uses less HD space than a 60 minute action show. News uses less than sports, etc.

With no encoder/decoder, best/high/medium/basic is irrelevant. When I had standalones, I used Medium for most recordings, and still saw some quality issues/pixelation. With DirecTivo, it's like you're watching it live :thumbsup:.

I'm so glad I got to wire my new house before drywall went up. I love dual tuners :D.

kramdenfan
05-23-03, 09:30 AM
Just to be sure I'm following this correctly: with DirecTivo, there are 2 tuners? If I only have a dual LMB, and I have 2 receivers, can I split the signal going to my DirecTivo?

What about local programming? Local Channels are still not available in my area (supposedly coming soon) from D-TV- can I use my house antenna (which gets my locals crystal clear) into the Tivo as well? Will I be able to record a local channel while watching the dish?

Thanks again!!
Kram

Chew
05-23-03, 10:01 AM
Just to be sure I'm following this correctly: with DirecTivo, there are 2 tuners? If I only have a dual LMB, and I have 2 receivers, can I split the signal going to my DirecTivo?

What about local programming? Local Channels are still not available in my area (supposedly coming soon) from D-TV- can I use my house antenna (which gets my locals crystal clear) into the Tivo as well? Will I be able to record a local channel while watching the dish?

Thanks again!!
Kram

You can't split the signal. But if you have 2 receivers, both lines from that can be fed into the DirecTiVo.

Since the DirecTiVo records digitally, it doesn't have an mpeg encoder (like the standalones). You can't plug an antenna into it, it will only record stuff coming from DirecTV.

kramdenfan
05-23-03, 10:03 AM
that's kind of a drag... so I do have to keep my VCR, then-

Chew
05-23-03, 10:27 AM
that's kind of a drag... so I do have to keep my VCR, then-

Well, until locals are added for your area, you could always move to an area that currently has locals. Read all about it (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270325&highlight=move+DirecTV) ;)

djbrown
05-23-03, 10:29 AM

Splitting the signal won't work. you'll want a 2x4 multiswitch in your case, which takes 2 lines from the dish and distributes it to 4 seperate cable runs (2 go to the DTivo, 1 can go to your regular receiver).

As for your locals, check at the link below to see if 'moving' to another city will get you your locals;

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

MJKTool
05-23-03, 04:45 PM
This may be a very stupid question, but with the Tivo (not the DirecTivo) can you watch one program live while recording another program live?

djbrown
05-23-03, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
This may be a very stupid question, but with the Tivo (not the DirecTivo) can you watch one program live while recording another program live?

Only by splitting the cable, as far as I understand things. There's only one 'tuner' on the standalone Tivos. Of course, by splitting the cable, you bypass any cable box you have so you can only watch those channels that don't require a de-scrambler (basically, you have to watch those on the non-digital tier).

* this is my understanding of how a regular Tivo works. I have a DTivo so don't concern myself with those things.

And, of course, tivocommunity.com remains the best source of Tivo-related answers on the net....

Red Dog
05-23-03, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool

Yes, but you need to split your cable coming from the wall - 1 to the TV and 1 to the TIVO. I don't know if the TIVOs can do this, but with newer Replay models, you don't need to split (assuming just regular cable) - you can run 1 line to the Replay and then toggle with the TV/DVR button.

MJKTool
05-23-03, 05:13 PM
thanks for your quick replys you guys.

Deftones
05-23-03, 06:36 PM
The new Series 2 Tivos you can watch a show live while you are recording. On the old Tivos you had to have 2 antennae to watch a live show and to record one.

BJacks
05-23-03, 10:24 PM
ReplayTV is in financial trouble. I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub from them simply because I don't know how long they can make it.

Chew
05-23-03, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BJacks
ReplayTV is in financial trouble. I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub from them simply because I don't know how long they can make it.

Actually, I believe they were just bought out as stated on page 1.

Anyways, as mentioned before REPLAYTV is NOT bankrupt. Denon & Marantz now owns them, and doesn't have any plans on folding the technology.

JM
05-24-03, 12:26 PM
Ok, I'm going to adress a few different posts in turn...

1) Red Dog, interestingly enough the 5xxx series do not have the TV/DVR toggle feature you mentioned. However, it does pass through the coaxial input (i.e. it has a coaxial output too), so you can accomplish about the same thing by turning the ReplayTV off. It will still record while off, and you can switch your TV to the coaxial input to watch a second show on whatever channel you want. No splitter required.

2) Deftones, I don't know how Tivo Series 2 lets you watch one thing live while recording another (I suspect its a pass through type solution as above), but I want to be clear that standalone Tivos (i.e. not DirecTivos) absolutely do not have dual tuners (neither do ReplayTVs).

3) BJacks, as other posters pointed out, ReplayTV (and Rio--think about that re: future integration) are now owned by the Japanese holding firm D&M, makers of such brands as Denon and Marantz. These are well-respected names in home audio/video. Under this new ownership, ReplayTV is actually in *better* financial shape than Tivo.

4) Last but not least, D&M currently has a fantastic deal going on factory reconditioned ReplayTV 5040's. The price is $329, and this includes LIFETIME ACTIVATION. Normally, a new 5040 costs ~$250 (before currently available $100 rebates---the rebates aren't valid with these refurb units though), and lifetime activation will cost $300 as of June 1st (previously was $250). This is a great deal, as you will be getting a lifetime unit for basically $29. These units have been certified by ReplayTV and likely as not already come with the new 5.0 software on them. Many people have jumped on this deal already, so if you're interested I'd get in ASAP. Here is the URL: http://www.sonicblue.com/shop/_templates/item_main.asp?model=196&cat=22

Red Dog
05-24-03, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JM

3) BJacks, as other posters pointed out, ReplayTV (and Rio--think about that re: future integration) are now owned by the Japanese holding firm D&M, makers of such brands as Denon and Marantz. These are well-respected names in home audio/video. Under this new ownership, ReplayTV is actually in *better* financial shape than Tivo.

4) Last but not least, D&M currently has a fantastic deal going on factory reconditioned ReplayTV 5040's. The price is $329, and this includes LIFETIME ACTIVATION. Normally, a new 5040 costs ~$250 (before currently available $100 rebates---the rebates aren't valid with these refurb units though), and lifetime activation will cost $300 as of June 1st (previously was $250). This is a great deal, as you will be getting a lifetime unit for basically $29. These units have been certified by ReplayTV and likely as not already come with the new 5.0 software on them. Many people have jumped on this deal already, so if you're interested I'd get in ASAP. Here is the URL: http://www.sonicblue.com/shop/_templates/item_main.asp?model=196&cat=22

Yeah - I just got an e-mail from Replay today about the transition to D&M re: rebates. I bought my 4508 back in February from Costco. Got my $50 Costco rebate already but I was waiting on my $50 rebate from SB. D&M said that the outstanding rebates would be sent out by June.

Wow. That is a great deal. If I didn't already have 2, I'd jump on it.

kramdenfan
05-24-03, 07:41 PM
That is one helluva deal!! I'd really like to order it....

but since I have Direct TV, would I be wasting my money? Should I just plan on getting the D-Tivo?

JM
05-24-03, 10:00 PM
Update: I've put more info about the current deal in the Hot Deals forum, including a way to bring the price down to $284. See
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=294501

kramdenfan,
I don't think you would be wasting your money at all, but DirecTivo is certainly very attractive for DirecTV-only use since it simply stores the digital streams from the satellites natively (i.e. they are already MPEG, so no encoding is required unlike standalones). This has the benefit of no quality loss from an analog to digital conversion and also allows you to record two things at once.

However, note that DirecTivo has no tuner; so if you ever want to record off of cable or over-the-air broadcast, you will be out of luck with it. It also lacks some of the nicer features of ReplayTV such as Commercial Advance and LAN sharing. I don't have DirecTV myself so I don't know what to tell you, but I'm sure there are people happily using standalones of either brand with DirecTV.

BenCJedi
05-25-03, 12:02 AM
I'm using a standalone TiVo with Dish Network and it works well. I use medium quality on my recordings with VBR enabled and they are decent. For shows I want to get the best out of I record on my Dishplayer, because like DirecTiVo, it doesn't recompress for storage.. it just simply writes the native mpeg2 to the harddrive. We do most of our run-of-the-mill TV watching from tivo since it is superior in smartness to the Dishplayer.

kramdenfan
05-25-03, 10:29 AM
I ended up ordering the Replay TV 5040- from that great deal that JM posted about... My main driving factor was #1- the price, #2- I can record off my local antenna and D-TV, #3- the lifetime subscription.

So we'll see- I'm anxiously awaiting the "shipped" e-mail!!

veloce
05-26-03, 05:26 PM
Bought a ReplayTV 5040 yesterday at Best Buy (between the rebates, the coupon and the Best Buy gift card that defrayed some of the cost, it was almost as good as the SonicBlue deal mentioned earlier).

And I love it. It's easy to set up, easier to use, and simple to integrate into my existing setup (FYI, digital cable). I haven't even begun to play with all the features yet, but it's a whole new world out there.

Thanks to everyone for all their great advice in this thread!

leepyswetr
05-26-03, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by BenCJedi
You can easily ditch the phone line by installing a Turbonet card in your TiVo. I have done this myself (just need to get my phone number changed for banks, utilities, etc to my cell) and then I can totally eliminate my landline. You install a Turbonet card inside your TiVo and change the dialing prefix to ,#401 (I think that was it) and TiVo will then get the programming info via Internet and no longer use the landline phone line. My TiVo has been operating this way for a couple weeks now with no problems. www.9thtee.com sells the official Turbonet card for TiVo. You don't need the Turbonet card, and the associated opening of the box and voiding the warranty. Many USB ethernet cards will work just fine. Also, with the latest software update, you can select the network option, rather than using the #401 workaround.

BenCJedi
05-26-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by leepyswetr
You don't need the Turbonet card, and the associated opening of the box and voiding the warranty. Many USB ethernet cards will work just fine. Also, with the latest software update, you can select the network option, rather than using the #401 workaround.

I was under the impression he had an older Tivo like myself... being he wanted to upgrade. Those of us with older series 1 TiVo's do not have USB ports. Turbonet is the only option for us if you want your Tivo to abandon the phone line entirely. TiVo series 2 is less hackable (no video extraction, telnet, ftp.. I don't think).

rennervision
05-27-03, 08:55 AM
I own a Replay TV, and here's a feature I like which hasn't been mentioned yet. (I do not believe Tivo can do all of this, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

You can pretty much navigate to any point in a recorded show almost instantly. For instance, press 5-4-jump on your remote control, and the program jumps to the 54th minute of the show. Press skip and the program leaps forward by 30 seconds. Press 3-skip, and the program leaps forward by 3 minutes. Press repeat and the program jumps backward by 7 seconds. Press 3-repeat, and the program jumps backwards by 3 minutes. Very nice.

Also, when I originally bought my Replay TV, it was the only PVR that could do a search for anything you specify in your eight day channel guide. For instance, if I wanted to know all of the shows with Heidi Klum in them, it would tell me, and I could even program it to record any show with Heidi Klum. I haven't been keeping up with software upgrades for Tivo, however, so it may now be able to do that as well.

Derrich
05-27-03, 09:17 AM
I have an Series 1 Tivo and it's setup to get updates over the net, but I didn't hook up a turbonet card. The Series 1 has a serial port on the back that I plugged into the back of my PC. So now my Tivo connects to the net via my PC and it's cable modem. It works flawlessly and I didn't have to void a warranty to do it.

D

djbrown
05-27-03, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by rennervision
Also, when I originally bought my Replay TV, it was the only PVR that could do a search for anything you specify in your eight day channel guide. For instance, if I wanted to know all of the shows with Heidi Klum in them, it would tell me, and I could even program it to record any show with Heidi Klum. I haven't been keeping up with software upgrades for Tivo, however, so it may now be able to do that as well.

Not sure how long it's been around, but Tivo wishlists take care of this just fine (and they have a 14-day channel guide).

BenCJedi
05-27-03, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Derrich
I have an Series 1 Tivo and it's setup to get updates over the net, but I didn't hook up a turbonet card. The Series 1 has a serial port on the back that I plugged into the back of my PC. So now my Tivo connects to the net via my PC and it's cable modem. It works flawlessly and I didn't have to void a warranty to do it.

D

I had forgotten about that. So yeah.. a couple ways for the series 1 to download guide data from the net instead of dialup...

Duran
05-27-03, 02:01 PM
Yes, I have the old one, but I've never been able to get the serial connection working, even after trying all the stuff listed on the Tivo Community forum.

JM
05-27-03, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by djbrown
Not sure how long it's been around, but Tivo wishlists take care of this just fine (and they have a 14-day channel guide).

FWIW, newer ReplayTV models including the 5xxx series have longer channel guides than the older models. I'm showing 12 days on my 5040 right now.

Chew
05-27-03, 02:42 PM
Anybody get the impression this is turning into a "my TiVo can beat up your Replay" and "oh, yeah?" kind of thread? ;)

Lampei
05-27-03, 04:44 PM
Derrich,
Do you have a link/page with how to set up TiVo to use the serial port instead of the telephone line? My wireless modem jack decided to stop working so now I'm looking for alternate methods. Thanks.

BenCJedi
05-27-03, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Lampei
Derrich,
Do you have a link/page with how to set up TiVo to use the serial port instead of the telephone line? My wireless modem jack decided to stop working so now I'm looking for alternate methods. Thanks.

I'm under the impression a Turbonet card would be easier. If your TiVo version is 3.00, then you can simply slap in a Turbonet card (drivers are already on the TiVo in 3.) and then change the dialing prefix to ,#401. Of course opening the TiVo voids the warranty. There's also something called AirTivo if you want wireless ethernet for the guide downloads. took no more than 5 minutes for me to crack open my tivo, slap in the card, plug it into my home network and change the dialing prefix. Done.

Lampei
05-28-03, 09:00 AM
BenCJedi,
Thanks for the info. I went home and tried plugging the wireless modem jack into another socket and lo and behold, the damn thing worked. I guess I had too much stuff going from the one socket. I think I'll leave it alone until it completely craps out :) Then I'll be forced to use airTiVo or Turbonet.

Chew
05-28-03, 09:07 AM
Slighty off-topic:

Last night, Screen Savers had a review of a new program called SnapStream. Anybody use this? If you hook up cable or satellite, it will work like a TiVo/Replay and can record stuff to your harddrive. You can access the program through the web to set-up programs. And, of course, you have the stuff right on your computer to do whatever you feel like with.

Anybody have any experience with this? I believe 3.0 comes out tomorrow?

The big question I have: if you use DirecTV with a serial connection, where does the connection attach to your computer? Any old serial port?

Lampei
05-28-03, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Chew
Slighty off-topic:

Last night, Screen Savers had a review of a new program called SnapStream. Anybody use this? If you hook up cable or satellite, it will work like a TiVo/Replay and can record stuff to your harddrive. You can access the program through the web to set-up programs. And, of course, you have the stuff right on your computer to do whatever you feel like with.

Anybody have any experience with this? I believe 3.0 comes out tomorrow?

The big question I have: if you use DirecTV with a serial connection, where does the connection attach to your computer? Any old serial port?

I used to use snapstream (albeit a couple of versions ago) before switching to TiVo. It was useful as a program to record programs and have them already transferred directly onto my PC (if I wanted to transfer them to DVD/VCD). The only thing I didn't like was that it couldn't check for conflicting recordings as TiVo could. I'm not sure about the latest versions, but that was my biggest qualm at the time. It did a nice job with the interface and recording/watching programs though. Give it a try (I'm pretty sure they have a 30 trial period). If you like it, keep it, if not, you haven't lost anything. I think TiVo also is offering some sort of trial period too. Give them both a try and see which you like better.

As for serial to PC connections, I'm not sure if you need anything special to connect your box to your PC, but you can check at this place...
http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/hacking.htm

caligulathegod
05-28-03, 10:56 PM
I have the Time Warner DVR being installed this weekend. How does it compare?

leepyswetr
05-29-03, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by BenCJedi
I was under the impression he had an older Tivo like myself... being he wanted to upgrade. Those of us with older series 1 TiVo's do not have USB ports. Turbonet is the only option for us if you want your Tivo to abandon the phone line entirely. TiVo series 2 is less hackable (no video extraction, telnet, ftp.. I don't think). Ahh, my mistake. You are, of course, correct regarding the older models.

Chew
05-29-03, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by caligulathegod
I have the Time Warner DVR being installed this weekend. How does it compare?

I've used just about every DVR you can name (TiVo Series 1, Replay Showstopper, DishNet 500, Time Warner DVR, and currently DirecTiVo).

If you want an honest answer: the Time Warner DVR was the worst of the lot. It had multiple software bugs ranging from shutting down at random times, to stopping a recording in the middle, to plain old not recording at all.

The unit starts having even worse problems the closer you get to harddrive capacity.

The screen guide starts two hours in the future the minute you open it up ( :hscratch: ).

I could go on.

Granted, that was nearly 6 months ago and they have, hopefully, improved the software by now.

Red Dog
05-29-03, 08:47 AM

The screen guide starts two hours in the future the minute you open it up ( :hscratch: ).

That is how my Scientific Atlanta digital box works as well. Who in the world decided to do this needs to be committed. Fortunately, I run one of my Replays through the box now so I just use the Replay channel guide.

Darq
05-29-03, 11:20 AM

I think i read years ago that they do that due to contractual obligations with the TVGuide network (or whatever network that is) that shows the currently running shows.

I'm guessing that if the cable company's guide was "current", it would compete against the TVGuide channel and lessen their "market share", hence the 2 hour "delay".

Still dumb, of course.

caligulathegod
05-29-03, 09:39 PM
When I had Americast (Ameritech-now Wide Open West) they had the 2 hours delay for that reason (although they were vague about the reason). My current Digital cable from TW has the current time on the program guide. It would be odd if it went back to the 2 hour delay just for the DVR.

caligulathegod
06-19-03, 12:38 AM
Well, so far I love it. Dual Tuners-plus watching prerecorded program while taping 2, Picture in Picture, great picture quality, records DD 5.1...all for less than $7. I've had none of the listed troubles and the guide goes right to the correct time. It may not have all the bells and whistles of Tivo, but I was never going to get a Tivo anyway. The hardware cost plus the $15 monthly fee plus single tuner = no sale. Plus I can't stand Digital Satelite. I hate the channel surfing delay and the program grid not to mention the bad weather blackouts. I haven't had cable go down in years.

innocentfreak
06-19-03, 06:25 PM
I didn't see it posted but I always felt this was a good comparison.....tivo vs replay (http://www.pvrcompare.com/tivoreplayframe.html)

sherm42
06-19-03, 06:53 PM
Word is that the next models of ReplayTV's will no longer include the commercial skip feature.

kramdenfan
06-20-03, 09:48 AM
Here's a follow up to my original question on this post. It's kind of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short......

I purchased the Replay 5040 (from the great deal Sonicblue had listed on their site). When it came (about 3.5 weeks later) I was psyched- put it together right away, only to find out the remote control doesn't work. I tested the TV function of the remote on all of my TVs (3 different brands) just to be sure, then called them. After spending more than 90 minutes talking to a CSR (who had me unplugging cables to test my remote!!!!), I demanded to talk to a manager, who was just as useless. An hour later, I hung up in frusteration, and decided to call back the next day.

The next day I called back, and right away asked for a manager. I spoke to a guy who actually seemed to know what he was talking about, and agreed with me after 5 minutes that the remote was bad. At this point I wanted my money back. This guy seemed pretty cool, and I gave them another chance (since I wanted this thing so bad!!!). To speed things up since they are so back-logged on orders, he said he would ship me an entire new unit, since it would be faster than sending only a remote. So I agreed. Along with the new unit would be an airbill to return the old one.

Exactly one week later, my wife calls me at work to tell me the new one arrived. As soon as I get home, I open the box. The ONLY thing inside the box is a new unit; no remote, no cables, no manuals. So now I have TWO Replay units, both of which are useless to me since I have ONE remote!

Needless to say, I called and spoke with the same manager, who seemed to feel horrible and was bothered that there could be such a screw-up. ...but I'm still getting my money back. I'm pretty bummed, since this was such a good deal, but due to the service I got and all the time wasted, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Replay.

I'm going Tivo.

Chew
06-20-03, 09:58 AM
I'm going Tivo.

:up::up:

Red Dog
06-20-03, 10:07 AM
Here's a follow up to my original question on this post. It's kind of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short......

I purchased the Replay 5040 (from the great deal Sonicblue had listed on their site). When it came (about 3.5 weeks later) I was psyched- put it together right away, only to find out the remote control doesn't work. I tested the TV function of the remote on all of my TVs (3 different brands) just to be sure, then called them. After spending more than 90 minutes talking to a CSR (who had me unplugging cables to test my remote!!!!), I demanded to talk to a manager, who was just as useless. An hour later, I hung up in frusteration, and decided to call back the next day.

The next day I called back, and right away asked for a manager. I spoke to a guy who actually seemed to know what he was talking about, and agreed with me after 5 minutes that the remote was bad. At this point I wanted my money back. This guy seemed pretty cool, and I gave them another chance (since I wanted this thing so bad!!!). To speed things up since they are so back-logged on orders, he said he would ship me an entire new unit, since it would be faster than sending only a remote. So I agreed. Along with the new unit would be an airbill to return the old one.

Exactly one week later, my wife calls me at work to tell me the new one arrived. As soon as I get home, I open the box. The ONLY thing inside the box is a new unit; no remote, no cables, no manuals. So now I have TWO Replay units, both of which are useless to me since I have ONE remote!

Needless to say, I called and spoke with the same manager, who seemed to feel horrible and was bothered that there could be such a screw-up. ...but I'm still getting my money back. I'm pretty bummed, since this was such a good deal, but due to the service I got and all the time wasted, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Replay.

I'm going Tivo.

Sorry to hear that. Was this SonicBlue customer service? I had to deal with Replay's customer service before (to resolve a dialing/modem problem) and it was one of the best experiences with a CS dept that I ever had. Didn't even need to pick up a phone. They answered my e-mail describing the problem within 2 hours. Their instructions worked perfectly.

fujishig
06-20-03, 10:44 AM
The Replay remote problem is significantly updated in the new software release... when I first got my Replay last week (same online deal) the remote had horrible lag, but it disappeared after a software update.

That being said, Tivo does seem much more intuitive and easier to navigate. I'll give it time though... it may just be because I've been using Tivo for a couple of months now. It's weird having to learn a whole new setup.

Duran
06-20-03, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I've had Tivo for a couple years, now, but just got a Replay from that deal. I so far have found the Tivo much more user-friendly. I'm hoping it is just because I am so used to Tivo, so I'm going to give it a few more weeks.

Red Dog
06-20-03, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I've had Tivo for a couple years, now, but just got a Replay from that deal. I so far have found the Tivo much more user-friendly. I'm hoping it is just because I am so used to Tivo, so I'm going to give it a few more weeks.

It was the same way for me (my former roommate had 2 TIVOs) , but I quickly found that Replay was more user friendly since your recorded shows and to-do list are in the same spot. Plus I quickly found that the channel guide was far easier to navigate (especially in the newer Replays), especially when you learn the shortcuts.

big whoppa
06-20-03, 01:31 PM
Add my comparison test:

I've owned a Tivo Standalone (original) for several years with a lifetime subscription. Recently, I purchased a Replay system. I added the lifetime to it too.

Having been using the Tivo, I'm spoiled and missing several of the features of that unit. The Replay guide isn't pretty and not as organized as Tivo. Navigating screens on Replay is more difficult. There is no time line found on Tivo though there is a counter at top. To check the current time, you have to press another button besides display. Displaying guide obstructs the show you're watching. If you start watching a portion or middle of a recorded show, when you watch the recording it defaults in the position you last viewed, not the beginning. You have to go to another submenu to start from the beginning. No suggestions. No rating shows. Good only if you don't want anyone knowing what you watch. I like those features. Guide is choppy on Replay. It displays everything as a grid and show descriptions are incomplete unless you highlight the show. Tivo has a special menu highlighting what is on premium channels like HBO. Replay doesn't. You have to pick a category and wait and wait for slow searches of shows that can be on any station.
Onto recordings...Replay doesn't know if a show has moved. Tivo does and records accordingly.

That are some of the differences I've noticed after using Replay for about a month.

Replay's advantage over Tivo are the commercial advance which doesn't work nearly enough. I skips too far or too soon. You never know. Going back a few seconds to the beginning of a program after commercial advance has goofed is slow and can be a pain. It has built-in networking. That is probably the biggest selling point which I haven't used yet. But Tivo has added this feature for a price. Also nice that you can turn a Replay off. Don't know why this wasn't incorporated in the Tivo 1 which gets warm and I'm guessing could lessen its life. Replay also has a few extra connections light component out and optical connections.

For everyday functionality, Tivo wins hands down over Replay. And frankly, I miss the little Tivo sound when you click on items. Replay is dead quiet. The blue light is cool though. ;)

TiVo rules, man!

fujishig
06-20-03, 02:12 PM
Just read the lengthy (but great) comparison on that site... and yours as well, whoppa.

I didn't realize that Replay will only record a show that moved if it's within an hour or two from it's normal timeslot. That's a pretty big deal, at least to me, as it's nice to be able to set a Tivo season pass up even if the show's not on yet.

I also didn't realize that there was such a big difference in the channel changing time too... since I was using the IR blaster with Replay on my digital cable box (as opposed to analog cable directly to TIVO) I thought that was the problem. Not that I watch much live tv anyway.

I do like Replay's guide data setup, though... much more like TV guide, and it's easier to navigate. I never realized how little I used the TIVO guide, and only used searches. It's also a much, much better way of seeing whats on then using that dumb digital cable guide...

I also didn't realize how much I love Suggestions... even if it's just for curiousity's sake.

The off button: I've heard bad reports of people leaving their Replay on, having it's buffer filled, and that causing problems when watching live tv. So I guess it needs an off button, where Tivo really doesn't. Also, the live buffer stopping when watching a recording is a big deal to me too.

Anyway, I'll keep it for a few weeks, until I ship it off to my dad in hawaii. Can't wait to hook it up in the living room and test out all those DVArchive features, though...

Red Dog
06-20-03, 02:14 PM

I didn't realize that Replay will only record a show that moved if it's within an hour or two from it's normal timeslot. That's a pretty big deal, at least to me, as it's nice to be able to set a Tivo season pass up even if the show's not on yet.

If you set up a program as a theme channel, it will record it whenever it is on.

kramdenfan
06-20-03, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear that. Was this SonicBlue customer service? I had to deal with Replay's customer service before (to resolve a dialing/modem problem) and it was one of the best experiences with a CS dept that I ever had. Didn't even need to pick up a phone. They answered my e-mail describing the problem within 2 hours. Their instructions worked perfectly.

yeah, I was too, Red Dog. No- this CS wasn't with Replay; it was with SonicBlue. Hold time was awful, inept reps... I just don't have anything good to say about them. I've wasted too many hours of my life on hold with those people in the last 2 weeks!

kramdenfan
06-20-03, 02:42 PM
The Replay remote problem is significantly updated in the new software release... when I first got my Replay last week (same online deal) the remote had horrible lag, but it disappeared after a software update.

If mine had lag, I could deal with that, since it would at least be working. I couldn't even click on "Select" during the initial setup, or turn on or off my TV....

Red Dog
06-20-03, 02:45 PM
yeah, I was too, Red Dog. No- this CS wasn't with Replay; it was with SonicBlue. Hold time was awful, inept reps... I just don't have anything good to say about them. I've wasted too many hours of my life on hold with those people in the last 2 weeks!

Actually my good dealings were with SB. You may have experienced problems since SB's assets were bought out by D&M (one reason why they had such a good deal on those 5040s).

Morf
06-20-03, 05:02 PM
I had my first experience with ReplayTV the other day. A friend of mine got one for a gift, and I went over to play with it out of curiousity. I really didn't like it. Not nearly as user-friendly as a TiVo, for all of the reasons mentioned above in this thread. Even my friend agreed after he came over to my place and played with my TiVo.

Needless to say, my bud is returning his ReplayTV and going TiVo.

JM
06-21-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Morf
I had my first experience with ReplayTV the other day. A friend of mine got one for a gift, and I went over to play with it out of curiousity. I really didn't like it. Not nearly as user-friendly as a TiVo, for all of the reasons mentioned above in this thread. Even my friend agreed after he came over to my place and played with my TiVo.

Needless to say, my bud is returning his ReplayTV and going TiVo.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Personally, I don't want bright colors, cutesy graphics, and hand holding. I want a standard grid-style channel guide, commercial advance, in-home streaming between units, and better picture quality. That's why I have a ReplayTV.

big whoppa
06-22-03, 06:00 AM
Granted, Tivo is great for first-timers to the PVR experience but I've been using it for over a year and the traits that make it simple and intuitive are its strengths.

Fujishig mentioned the buffer. I left that out. Replay won't buffer a show if you're watching a recorded program so you can't go back and forth. TiVo really doesn't play out this point but it's great to have.

Picture on Replay does seem better than on my Tivo 1 both of which I set on high quality. Tivo has more artifacting which may be due to the higher quality connection I'm using on the Replay.

D&M need to incorporate a wider grid to eliminate the broken program listings. The way the menu is structured now, shows like The Amazing Race can be reduced to The A until you highlight the program.

How do you go immediately from a recording to a station you were watching? So far, I've had to press a button for the guide and select to get back into a channel. On a Tivo, all you have to do is press on Live TV. There is a LiveTV button on Replay but that seems to only work when you're already on the channel to take you from the buffer to the live feed. Another annoyance I'm finding on the ReplayTV.

toq
06-22-03, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by big whoppa
How do you go immediately from a recording to a station you were watching?On the 5000 series remote control, press the "Jump" button.

big whoppa
06-22-03, 12:35 PM
Thanks Toq. I would not have guessed.

fujishig
06-23-03, 11:08 AM
I was wondering the same thing about jumping back to Live TV... thanks for the info.

I've played around with it a little more. Stuck my TIVO in the bedroom and put the replaytv outside, where I can connect it to my LAN. It's probably been mentioned previously, but when uploading/downloading a show to DVArchive (or, I assume, to someone else) it pretty much locks up the system, doesn't it? I was frantically pressing buttons trying to get the device to work, and nothing was happening... then I stopped the download, and all the menus popped up. Ah well, it's still a neat feature.

The delay between the remote and the replay is still really annoying, though it's said to be fixed in the new software version... hope I get it soon.

The photo viewer thing is cool.

The only other thing I can think of... my Tivo remote had a button to change the input on my TV. Since I have Tivo on one input and the dvd player, game systems, vcr, etc on the other ones, it was convenient to switch without having to find the TV remote. It seems the only thing the replay remote can do with your tv is turn it off and on. Is there something i'm missing?

toq
06-23-03, 02:13 PM
...and change your TV's volume (which you probably already knew). Besides that though, you're right, the remote on the 5000 series is definitely lacking, especially when compared to its predecessors.

Red Dog
06-23-03, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by toq
...and change your TV's volume (which you probably already knew). Besides that though, you're right, the remote on the 5000 series is definitely lacking, especially when compared to its predecessors.

Same with the 4500 series remote. My remote for my 2000 Replay was far superior. Unfortunately, the 'select' button no longer works on it.

JM
06-23-03, 05:36 PM
Well, most people that are serious about this stuff have a programmable remote that controls all of their HT stuff anyway. I know I do. I have a *lot* of remotes (3 for ReplayTVs alone), but one that I can control everything I need to with.

However, if you really want to get more out of your 5xxx remote, consider looking into using a JP1 interface (http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml). With it, you can use the 5k remote to control several devices and program its buttons.

big whoppa
06-24-03, 05:35 PM
I tried Jump but that seems like a dummy button that takes you back to where you were and vice versa. It doesn't have to be live TV. It can be between 2 recorded shows if another recording was viewed earlier. Replay should have something on the remote to take you directly to LiveTV after viewing a recording no matter what you were watching.

Response time on the remote can be sluggish especially during a search.

The Replay was downloading daily data. When it did it, I was unable to watch another recording. It told me I could press the stop button to stop the transfer but when I did that, it locked up the machine. I had to turn it off and back on again.

All of these things are proving to be very annoying especially for a Tivo user. These are not problems for the Tivo.

PHMustang2000
06-25-03, 01:39 AM
Tivo!!!!!!!!

Why don't you make this into a poll? I would like to see the results.

It has helped so much. I am seeng shows I never would be able to watch. I don't have to do anything and the shows are there when I wake up (you have to set the Season Passes first, after that you are set.)

I have it set for only recording new eps of shows and since its summer, there isn't gonna be many. I just click the ones I want to see if there are some good eps.

During The Summer I usually just tape movies.

Red Dog
06-25-03, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by big whoppa
I tried Jump but that seems like a dummy button that takes you back to where you were and vice versa. It doesn't have to be live TV. It can be between 2 recorded shows if another recording was viewed earlier. Replay should have something on the remote to take you directly to LiveTV after viewing a recording no matter what you were watching.

Just punch in the channel and hit enter - how hard is that? I never use the thing for live TV anyhow.

fujishig
06-26-03, 02:37 PM
Ugh... okay, I'm on the verge of returning this replaytv...
I don't know if it's the refurbished unit, or the new 5.0 software, but the thing dies on me every day for the past couple of days (since I got the software update, in fact). One day, it recorded a 30 minute show for 15 hours, and froze. I had to unplug it, and missed all that day's recordings up to that point. The next day, it froze again (and didn't record anything). Both times, I had to unplug it.

I know there are known issues with the new software, but I can't see non-net-savvy people taking the time to figure this stuff out. How can I recommend this to friends?

JM
06-26-03, 05:35 PM
fujisshig,
May I recommend that you post your problem in the AVS ReplayTV forum over at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27 ? You will get a lot more helpful responses to this problem there.

However, I will go ahead and ask whether you are using the Photo slideshow feature. If so, that may be the cause of your problems as it caused instability in some builds of 5.0. If not, you might try a 382-zones factory reset to see if that helps at all. Again, I recommend posting over at AVS, as someone there may have other suggestions for you to try.

aintnosin
06-26-03, 05:38 PM
Question: Do you have to decide between the monthly and lifetime right away or can you opt for a lifetime subscription down the road?

fujishig
06-26-03, 06:36 PM
aintnosin:
You can choose lifetime later on. I think both Tivo and Replay will refund you the first month's monthly fee if you try it out and want the lifetime...

Hey JM...
Thanks for the help. I did peruse through the posts in avsforum and planet replay before I posted here. The information is available. It's just that it should be addressed on replay's site, since it's a recurring problem (the slideshow crashing the system).

Bottom line is, a lot of the posts on these boards are about how buggy the new software is. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure for them to roll out the new software, but it's still very buggy, and it'll turn potential customers off. How many people are returning their units because of this simple bug?

Tivo may have it's problems too, but I've never experienced them...

JM
06-26-03, 11:49 PM
fujishig,
So, it sounds like the photo screensaver was your problem? I've never really used it, but I knew it was an issue in 5.0. I agree this issue (and others) should be addressed on the ReplayTV site, if not in messsages sent to your RTV itself. I think part of the problem is that ReplayTV is still in a transition phase between SonicBlue and DNNA. I think (hope) things will be handled better in the future.

I can say that 5.0 is, for the most part, much better than 4.5--despite some outstanding issues that generally can be worked around pretty easily. My two 5040s (one bought new and the other from the refurb deal) are both really stable. However, I don't use the two features that seem to most commonly cause problems: photo slideshow and modem connection.

I expect that these issues will be resolved soon. However, there will always be something. No matter how one comes down in the great ReplayTV vs. Tivo debate, it really can't be denied that feature-wise ReplayTV is on the forefront of PVR technology with commercial advance and Internet sharing, ethernet connection, streaming between units, remote scheduling, scheduling on networked units, progressive component outputs, optical out, etc. Unfortunately, problems sometimes go along with such pushings of the envelope. You just hope they are problems you can live with until the next software release. Fortunately, I can deal with not having a photo slideshow. Others' mileage may vary.

big whoppa
06-27-03, 05:09 AM
The channel + select does work to go from recording to live. Still, I think it's clunky way of maneuvering. Like fujishig, my Replay has locked up several times already. Luckily, this hasn't been a permanent problem.

Today, you'll see one of the latest ReplayTV updates. No more guaranteed showings. It has a first run or repeat feature or both now for recording setting which is good. It's supposed to have better conflict resolutions. I haven't checked that one. Hmmm....it's becoming more like TiVo. ;)

Icculus
06-27-03, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by JM
I can say that 5.0 is, for the most part, much better than 4.5--despite some outstanding issues that generally can be worked around pretty easily. My two 5040s (one bought new and the other from the refurb deal) are both really stable. However, I don't use the two features that seem to most commonly cause problems: photo slideshow and modem connection.

Same here, my 5040 is pretty stable but I don't use the modem or the slideshow....

Same with the 4500 series remote. My remote for my 2000 Replay was far superior. Unfortunately, the 'select' button no longer works on it.

That's actually a pretty easy fix (I had the same problem on my old showstopper). Take the remote apart and put a little piece of foil in between the button and the contact - once I got the right sized foil it worked perfectly for me.

fujishig
06-27-03, 09:46 AM
I do like a lot of the new features in 5.0... improved remote time, better conflict resolution (which does work pretty well), a change in recording options, etc. And I agree, there are a lot of people who don't have issues, and the ones with problems will be the most vocal.

I still find a few features too clunky. Obviously commercial advance is hit or miss, but it's a neat idea. The 10 second rewind button is a little slow. The TV guide style channel guide is much easier to view. The progressive out and optical out are ok, but without proper inputs, not as useful as they seem.

I'm sure it'll be a better system once the bugs are ironed out. The crashes were just a little frustrating because they happened during the day, and interrupted a lot of recordings. It's also a scary thought that for a crash, a recommended solution on the boards is to do a hard reset, which wipes out all recordings... or that sometimes recordings mysteriously disappear after a crash. Ah well, I hope to see what D&M are going to implement next, to lure customers in after they get rid of file sharing and commercial advance...

big whoppa
06-27-03, 10:36 AM
Speak of the devil, ReplayTV crashed on me again. It was in the middle of recording one station and about to record another station when the entire system locked up. It made me miss The Amazing Race. These hardware issues aren't good.

kramdenfan
06-27-03, 11:20 AM
...unfortunately, from what I've been reading, the hardware issues with Replay TV are becoming more and more common. It's too bad, because I'd rather go with a Replay due to the features, but I don't want to have more headaches or not trust the unit to do what it's supposed to do!

D300
06-27-03, 11:49 AM
Are all these problems with refurbished units? Maybe they weren't fully tested before reselling them. So far my refurbished 5040 has only crashed once and was easily fixed by holding the power button for a few seconds.

big whoppa
06-27-03, 11:53 AM
I didn't get the refurbished unit. My ReplayTV is a brand new unit. It's the 5040 unit. The reviews on Amazon weren't the greatest in terms of repairs and servicing the last time I checked. I bought it because of a good deal and because I wanted to see how the other half lives.