Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Link between M1 and Reloaded (spoiler)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I just watched Matrix 1, and I noticed a few things which show just how much the W Bros already had planned for the trilogy while filming M1.

First of all, I noticed the multiple tv screens that show Neo before the agents interrogate him, which many of you have already pointed out. I think, like many of you, that this is definitely supposed to be a reference to the architect.

The next thing I noticed, which I don't think any of you have talked about, has to do with the phonecall Neo makes at the very end of the movie. While he's talking, you see a black screen with Matrixcode-esque green writing. The words move pretty quickly, but this time I made sure I paused my tv and read it all. It reads:

"Call trans opt: received. 9-18-99. 14:32:21. REC:Log>"

and then:

"WARNING: carrier anomaly"

then:

"Trace program: running"

A bunch of numbers then scroll down the screen, and it eventually says "SYSTEM FAILURE"

All the while, Neo is talking about how he's going to free the people from the Matrix and show them a world without "you".

I think we have to assume that this black screen with the green writing is something on the Architecht's computer....or something. And "carrier anomaly". Hmmm....

Looks like the W Bros were looking well ahead into Reloaded and Revolutions when they created all these goodies.
Old 05-20-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either that or they watched The Matrix again and transfered stuff from it to make Reloaded make sense?
Old 05-20-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good eye.
Old 05-20-03, 05:05 PM

Re: A Link between M1 and Reloaded (spoiler)

Originally posted by Moldy Potato
"Call trans opt: received. 9-18-99. 14:32:21. REC:Log>"
Interesting consider:

9-18-99 where 9+9=18 and 1+8=9, so numerologically this could be boiled down to 9-9-9, in gematria (heavily used by Gnostic religions) "my wrath", as in God's wrath equals 999. Or it can all be boiled down to 9 which has a symbolic meaning of finality, judgement or the end of mans works.

Then 14:32:21: could be boiled down to 5:5:3. The Gnostic quest for the Holy Grail would take the chosen through 5 Spiritual degrees, 5 Royal degrees, and 3 Physical degrees.
Old 05-20-03, 05:13 PM

Interesting point. The same thing happens at the begining when Trinity calls Cypher, only it reads:

"Call trans opt: received. 2-19-98. 13:24:18 REC:Log>"

Then:

"Trace program: running"

There is no:

I assumed the anomaly was the system picking up a hacked call. Neo deliberately used a method that he knew would be picked up by the system because he had a message to deliver. So it was picked up by the program monitoring the system. Then it fails, implying Neo has control to prevent the trace program from finding him.

With Trinity and Cypher they were using a method to avoid detection, but it was already known by the system so the trace program runs without the warning going off.

The dates are interesting... 2-19-98 thru 9-18-99. Never put that together before. So are we to accept that a year and seven months went by for that part of the story line?
Old 05-20-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you get 5:5:3 from 14:32:21?
Old 05-20-03, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
How do you get 5:5:3 from 14:32:21?
Arithmetic: 1+4=5, 3+2=5, 2+1=3 5:5:3
Old 05-20-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The play on numbers does seem a little silly if you ask me.
Old 05-20-03, 07:23 PM

The play on numbers does seem a little silly if you ask me.
It may or may not be. Someone posted elsewhere about the occurence of the number 101. Neo's apartment number, and the wall of the entry to the french restaurant are two I remember.

101 is binary for 5.

Not sure if it's relevant or not.
Old 05-20-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

101 (or 5) is also the number of previous failed Matrixes. The current one is #6.

And the Terminator was a "Cyberdine Systems Model 101", so therefore the Terminator movies are connected to the Matrix movies, right? I mean, they are both about the rise of AI, right?

Silly number play, imho.
Old 05-21-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
101 (or 5) is also the number of previous failed Matrixes. The current one is #6.
Every one keeps saying that. I thought it was 5 previous Zions, the matrix just keeps on ticking.
Old 05-21-03, 08:55 AM

the architect says "the matrix is older than you know, i prefer to count the time from one anomaly to the next in which case this would be the 6th version" sounds like he's talking about the matrix to me
Old 05-21-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah and if the number 110 appeared instead of 101, people would say:

"110 is 6 in binary and this is the 6th Matrix!"
"Combined, Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus have 6 arms! OMG! The W Brothers are genius!"
"I saw 6 boobs in the rave scene!"
Old 05-21-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixel8or
The dates are interesting... 2-19-98 thru 9-18-99. Never put that together before. So are we to accept that a year and seven months went by for that part of the story line?
I think a lot of the time that passed that we didn't really see was the time it took Neo to recover from being unplugged. It still seems like a lot of time though. Another thing to note is do we know that the first call happened right when the movie begins? They may have been keeping thier eye on Neo for a while until they found the right time to contact him. Then another thing to think about is, 98 and 99 are Matrix time, as they stated in the movie that it was closer to 2199 but they didn't know. Do you think the Matrix program is running on it's made up date or that it would have the "real" date and times logged.. hmm..
Old 05-21-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
the architect says "the matrix is older than you know, i prefer to count the time from one anomaly to the next in which case this would be the 6th version" sounds like he's talking about the matrix to me
Yes, he's measuring the age of the matrix by counting time between anomalies. Neo is the anomaly, as were the previous The Ones. He only says that Neo is the sixth anomaly, not that this is the sixth matrix.

Far as we know, there were only two matrices. The first, a failure, was the Utopia described by Smith in M1. The second is the current one.
Old 05-21-03, 09:52 AM

but each time the anomoly occurs zion is destroyed and the code of the one is reloaded into the matrix............so you could very well be right, two matrixes, this happens to be Matrix 2.0 version 6

in the first movie Smith says you believe it is 1999 the height of human civalization, so i'm guessing the matrix runs on it's own time, to coincide with when man was happiest
Old 05-21-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
but each time the anomoly occurs zion is destroyed and the code of the one is reloaded into the matrix............so you could very well be right, two matrixes, this happens to be Matrix 2.0 version 6
That would be Matrix 2.0 Service Pack 6.
Old 05-21-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by pixyboi

"Combined, Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus have 6 arms! OMG! The W Brothers are genius!"
I agree with you. it seems like the fans are taking this to another level looking waaay to deep into some of the things.
Old 05-21-03, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I agree with you. it seems like the fans are taking this to another level looking waaay to deep into some of the things.
that's what makes it such a fun and interesting movie, what do you care if i spend my time looking deeper than you think i need to...............
Old 05-21-03, 04:56 PM

Really!? 6 boobs? Would that be 6 individual boobs on 6 different women, or 3 pairs on 3 women? Or.... perhaps a combination of the above?

Yeah, I know how numbers can be jumbled to make them look like just about anything. I don't put a whole lot into that. But.... this movie does have some quirky things in it that require a look beyond the surface.

And yes, that's what makes it so cool. It's fun.
Old 05-21-03, 08:20 PM

LOL, the numbers were on purpose. I can about gurantee that. The Watchowski bros. are detail freaks of the Nth kind. And someone had to create the numbers so why not make them gnostically related!!

The whole rest of the movie is straight out of gnostisicism...
Old 05-21-03, 08:33 PM

I hear that if you re-arrange the symbols at the beginning of the first Martrix movie in a certain way, it predicts the Kennedy assasination!