Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Doors remasters - available separately?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about every mid-price section in any music store has those 1990 remasters of original The Doors albums for sale. But as some of you may know, the "Complete Studio Recordings" box set contains new 24-bit remasters of these albums created in 1999.

Since I have been unable to find these remasters for sale outside the box in any online store, I gave up searching and concluded that they were exclusive to the set. However, today I noticed the 1999 remaster of "Morrison Hotel" for sale in a local music store, and promptly snagged it up.

I checked Amazon.com today and while they do also list the newly remastered edition in addition to the 1990 edition, it's an import and really expensive: the price is about $27 - I paid 12 euros (about $13) for mine.

My question is: are these remasters available separately in U.S. stores or is it some weird European/otherwise foreign exclusive?
Old 05-20-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was some talk at Bright Midnight Records (the company formed by the surviving members to release live shows) about releasing another box set and perhaps some separately, but nothing really materialized out of it. I recommend you buy the box set for unedited version of "The End" alone.
Old 05-20-03, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i bought all 6 newly remasterd albums seperately over a few months at Best Buy in the US. I had most of them on the old remasters since i was a kid.

Anyway i am glad i picked up the new editions as they blow the other releases out of the water!

Once i heard how one sounded remastered. I knew i had to buy the rest..& sold off my old cds.

I don't really bother repurchasing albums i already own. Unless of course the one i have is of inferior quality..& the newest edition sounds miles better.

So while i have the last AC/DC remasters from the 90's. I have not bothered with the newest remasters since i'm pleased with the ones i have at the moment.
Old 06-02-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Julie, do we have to look specifically at the box to tell which version we are getting or is it blaitenly obvious with a big sticker "1999 remasters!"
Old 06-03-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the remasters were available domestically on a limited edition basis. even the box set is out of print now. the only way you'll be able to find them quick and easily is to go for the import versions. i think they're still produced in germany.
Old 06-03-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Hollowgen
the remasters were available domestically on a limited edition basis. even the box set is out of print now. the only way you'll be able to find them quick and easily is to go for the import versions. i think they're still produced in germany.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Apparently it's still in print.
Old 06-04-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no, it's not. they just have some still in stock.

it's officially listed as not in print.
Old 06-08-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also there was a song at the begining of ap now redux that has Morrison saying the f word many times, what song is that?
Old 06-08-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also there was a song at the begining of ap now redux that has Morrison saying the f word many times, what song is that?
"The End", found on their self-titled debut.

I do not know about the tracks presentation on previous compilations or remasters, but as far as I know the copy of the CD in the box set is the first time the f's have been restored, as well as adding "she get high" back into Break On Through.
Old 06-09-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So in other versions (the 1990 version) the f word is taken out? And I doubt it has the pa sticker.
Old 06-09-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just found all of the albums, availible seperatly with the 99 remasters at record and tape traders for 11.99 each except for The Doors for 15.99.
Old 06-09-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also can anyone imagine if a parent bought the first cd for their kid, and they hear all the f words in "the end" and since its not on the original cd, they sue or something.
Old 06-09-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For more discussion about the restored lyrics click here:

http://ib2.thedoors.com/cgi/ib311/ik...56;hl=remaster
Old 06-10-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

question, does anyone have a site that has the history of the lyrics, like did the record company say like "no, you can't say "higher" or "f**K" on a record" ect.
Old 06-11-03, 10:08 AM

I just bought the first album and boy, was I surprised to find those changes. I'm happy they were made, though, since I understand they're what the band originally wanted. Cool. Can't wait to play the songs to my friends and shock them.
Old 06-11-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I just bought the first album and boy, was I surprised to find those changes. I'm happy they were made, though, since I understand they're what the band originally wanted. Cool. Can't wait to play the songs to my friends and shock them.
It is very freeing, I now cannot imagine the songs without the restoration.

Also, Rypro I believe the edits were suggested by Elektra and The Doors collectively decided to use takes without the lyrics in question. As far as I know, there was no "forceful persuasion" done by the label . Also, when are you gonna get your CDs up on Guzzlefish ?