Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Open Range

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Range

Is anyone else looking forward to this? I mean, I'm a Costner fan at the best of times, but

Costner + Western = I'm there

What's the buzz on this? I haven't even seen as much as a poster for it....
Old 05-21-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
need more info

link?

trailer?

plot synopsis?

The fact that Costner is in it isn't enough to get me excited.
Old 06-15-03, 01:45 AM
Banned

Trailer: http://openrange.movies.go.com/previ...?movie=QTlarge
Old 06-15-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the trailer link Face/Off.

As a fan of both Westerns and Kevin Costner, deal me in as one who is very excited about seeing Open Range. It is a close call between Open Range and Pirates of the Caribbean as to which is my most anticipated film of the Summer. No matter the reviews, I'll definitely be there opening weekend.

The plot outline for Open Range as found on IMDB.com:
A former gunslinger is forced to take up arms again when he and his cattle crew are threatened by a corrupt lawman.

For those who might have missed it, here is a link to an earlier Open Range thread which contained an image of the movie poster:
earlier Open Range thread with Poster image

Last edited by flixtime; 06-15-03 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-15-03, 10:33 AM

I love westerns and I'll be seeing Open Range on opening day. It has a well worn plot, but that's okay. Just watching the trailer, one can tell this movie has " class " written all over it. There was a review of this at Ain't It Cool News a few months ago. The reviewer called the movie solid. Take that as you will.

Last edited by Supreme Sean; 06-15-03 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-15-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I have yet to be sold on this movie. Kevin Costner is one of those actors that I really liked initially, then I began to take notice that he never really was that good of an actor. The only movie I found him authentically good in was JFK, after that Tin Cup and Bull Durham were palatable. All the other stuff I ate up that had him in it has lost its luster.

-Dances With Wolves: great cinematography, but weak acting from Costner.
-The Bodyguard: don't even get me started
-Wyatt Earp: ditto as with Dances, and too long for what it was IMO
-Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves: I don't know how so many people including myself bought into this poorly scripted/acted movie. Alan Rickman is still great, but once again, Costner proves he can't act.
-The Untouchables: great visuals, but weak script and Costner was a dud once again.
-Waterworld: great action, but his acting was a dud yet again.

Heck, I love the movie 13 Days, but his attempt at a fake New England accent is enough to make you want to
Costner seemed to have been able to pull a glaze over people's eyes for a while in the early 90s, but it didn't take long for people to realize the truth that he isn't that great.
Old 06-15-03, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I have yet to be sold on this movie. Kevin Costner is one of those actors that I really liked initially, then I began to take notice that he never really was that good of an actor. The only movie I found him authentically good in was JFK, after that Tin Cup and Bull Durham were palatable. All the other stuff I ate up that had him in it has lost its luster.

-Dances With Wolves: great cinematography, but weak acting from Costner.
-The Bodyguard: don't even get me started
-Wyatt Earp: ditto as with Dances, and too long for what it was IMO
-Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves: I don't know how so many people including myself bought into this poorly scripted/acted movie. Alan Rickman is still great, but once again, Costner proves he can't act.
-The Untouchables: great visuals, but weak script and Costner was a dud once again.
-Waterworld: great action, but his acting was a dud yet again.

Heck, I love the movie 13 Days, but his attempt at a fake New England accent is enough to make you want to
Costner seemed to have been able to pull a glaze over people's eyes for a while in the early 90s, but it didn't take long for people to realize the truth that he isn't that great.

You forgot to hate on For Love Of The Game, Fandango, American Flyers, 3000 Miles To Graceland, and many more. You know, a lot of people would say that Clint Eastwood isn't that good of an actor. That his range is limited and he's wooden. That didn't stop The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Sudden Impact, and In The Line Of Fire from being enjoyable,did it? Maybe, his screen presence and overall watchability go a long way. I think the same can be said for Costner.
Old 06-15-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
SupremeSean: I was just mentioning a few that sprung to mind as being ones that I liked initially. The ones you mentioned definitely illustrate my point though.
For what it's worth, I thought Costner was a great villain in 3KMTG and the one saving factor of the movie.
Old 06-15-03, 07:20 PM

this movie looks terrible...

-NiCK
Old 06-15-03, 07:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched the trailer. Looks interesting...an old-fashioned Western. I'll probably give it a shot.
Old 06-15-03, 07:50 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Open Range

Originally posted by vedderstapp
Costner + Western = I'm there
Duvall + Western = I'm there
Old 06-16-03, 07:53 AM

Costner + Anything = Me Skeptical These Days.

This one looks booooring.

-NiCK
Old 07-11-03, 02:30 PM

I just watched this trailer last night and I think I kind of believe in this movie. Annette Bening and Robert Duvall are both great. And Costner has made some great films in teh past.

The last three movies I've seen: Legally Blonde 2, The Hulk, and Pirates of the Caribbean (*loved this one). I'm ready for something less summery, and Open Range just might be that movie.
Old 07-12-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give this a shot too. I haven't seen the trailer yet or know much about it, except for the poster.

This will be a 'breather' film for me. A lot of good horror will be emerging Aug/Sept./Oct., so this will be a change of pace.

Hopefully, it will be Dances w/ Wolves-like.

It opens against F vs. J! Sorry, but F vs. J 1st, then this.
Old 07-12-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say SKIP the trailer, i was unfortunate to see it and it had me hooked but the trailer looks to give away the whole movie!!
Old 07-12-03, 12:29 PM

I've only seen it once, but didn't see that it gave away the movie. The cinematography looks good, remnicent of Dances with Wolves, with is a plus.
Old 07-12-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That trailer is way too long...I'll be seeing this for Duvall rather than Costner...
Old 07-12-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome.
Old 07-12-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the trailer tonight before LXG. This is one excellent looking western.
Old 07-12-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SPOILER-- What doesnt the trailer give away? A cool looking shotgun blast through a wall, Duvall doing it as we see him through the hole, the whole arc of Costner and Benning's relationship, a slow antagonism with the bad guy ultimately leading to a showdown, the killing of a young friend and Costner confronting the guy when they meet at the showdown and pulling out his weapon and firing when the guy admits to the killing, i can only assume the guy is dead afterwards. Just too much given away.
Old 07-14-03, 10:51 AM

hmmm. possibly. guess we'll have to see.

excited to see the kid from Y Tu Mama Tambien in this one.
Old 07-14-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess he's the one who dies since it gives away only Duvall and Costner facing the bad guys at the end and the finale seems to take place at Benning's house, and all this is from seeing the trailer once. But i'll still be there and hope the movie is more than the trailer.
Old 07-14-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like a re-hashed, poorly-acted "Unforgiven" to me. And you know the running time is going to be like three and a half hours.
Old 07-15-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To Kevin Costner...

ACTEE!

No WRITEE,
No PRODUCEE,
No DIRECTEE!

ACTEE!

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 07-15-03 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-15-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So in this movie Kevin Costner plays a mysterious but heroic loner in a landscape and time unlike our own...

Well, it's certainly not like any movie he's ever done before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.