Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

$1500-$2000 for 5.1 speakers, help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m looking for some advice on where to start in my search for new speakers. I’ve been using a hodge-podge of speakers, and would like to get a matched 5.1 set for our new house. In the next year or three I’ll be building a dedicated home theater in the basement, so for now I’m staying at a modest budget. I’ll save the “going into debt” budget for later! Basically I’m looking for recommendations on brands, systems, and anything else.

Here’s some of my details:
I’m using a basic 100 Watt/Ch JVC receiver, with DD and DTS decoding. The (carpeted) living room is roughly 12 ½’ x 18 ½’, with 9’ ceilings, and one of the long walls is open (leads to dinette). The TV and front speakers will be on one of the short walls. Surrounds will be in the rear corners out of necessity; no wall-mounting dipoles as I’ve seen recommended. I’d love a system where all 5 speakers are exactly the same; in theory, that sounds ideal. I’ll definitely be using stands for the rears, and probably the fronts, also, so advice on stands would be appreciated also. Also, I love the look of wood, but black would allowable (no silver, white, etc.). Finally, I’d like to keep the budget under $1500 including tax for the speakers, leaving as much as $500 more for 4 stands and decent speaker wire.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Paradigm, so that’s what I’ll be trying to audition first. I’m a little overwhelmed by the selection, though.

I might try the Aperion Intimus 5.1 system, since it looks awfully nice and has a money-back guarantee (even return shipping, I hear). Nowhere to audition them, though, so this would truly be a shot in the dark.

Never been a huge fan of Klipsch, but I’d listen…

So that’s where I’m starting; any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Paradigm, PSB, B&W would be good starter choices.
Old 05-20-03, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Find some good shops and make it a learning experience. Dont just go by brand but listen to everything you can. I hate to recommend just off brand reputations because many speakers from the same company have different balance. You are in the meat of the price point and the options are huge. Find a few tracks of stereo music that you know well look for ones that have detail and dynamics and maybe female vocals. Use the same one on all listening. Then at this price get a money back guarantee so you can listen at home.
Old 05-20-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You didn't mention a sub....is that budget w/ or w/o a sub?
Old 05-20-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I second PSB......

You can get 5 Alpha series speakers, plus their rocking Subsonic sub, for well under $1,500

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-20-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 12:41 PM
3Js

I have got JBL Northridge speakers including their sub and I am really happy with them.
Old 05-20-03, 03:20 PM

I've always been very pleased with Klipsch. It kind of surprises me I don't see them mentioned much, in this forum. You might even be able to get the low end reference (rf-3, rc-3, rs-3, rsw10) for your price, since they're discontinuing the 3 series. I have that series and I have to say, that they do rock. But evan if those are out of your range, you could look @ the synergys (sf-2, sc-1, ss-1, ksw10 or 12). Those sound good as well. Good luck!
Old 05-21-03, 01:41 AM

Audrey - yes, that price includes a sub. I've got a sub now, but it's just so-so (don't recall the brand off the top of my head).

I'll add PSB, B&W, and JBL to my list of brands to check out.

And I'll definitely be keeping my eyes (and ears) open at whatever stores I visit. Probably will start at Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, IL, since they carry Paradigm and that's where I bought my Adcom amp over 10 years ago (and the Adcom is still kicking in the bedroom system, along with my Mission 707 speakers).

I'm really looking forward to getting "back in the game", audio-wise, and since I've already got a system, I can take my time with it. With a baby on the way, we'll be turning into homebodies in a few months. When I narrow it down I'll probably order the Aperion system, then bring home a few other choices from local retailers to make the final choice. Obviously, listening in the store is great, but they must be tried out in the home environment.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-21-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...9&catky=643993

Energy Encore speaker system. I helped a friend install these and they sounded great. If you have a local dealer I would add them to your listening list
Old 05-21-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by vincew
I've always been very pleased with Klipsch. It kind of surprises me I don't see them mentioned much, in this forum. You might even be able to get the low end reference (rf-3, rc-3, rs-3, rsw10) for your price, since they're discontinuing the 3 series. I have that series and I have to say, that they do rock. But evan if those are out of your range, you could look @ the synergys (sf-2, sc-1, ss-1, ksw10 or 12). Those sound good as well. Good luck!
I also love Klipsch and own them for my home system. Many people like them and many do not. I would agree to give them a listen but sadly many people just do not want to try them out.
Old 05-21-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 80 or 100 are worth listening to. The PSB Alpha, as mentioned above are nice. If I were going that route though, I'd prob' get the HSU VTF2 or the Def Tech 100 sub.
Old 05-21-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atlantic Technology speakers are awesome! They have entry level speakers for the amount you are looking for. Look at my sig (for your viewing pleasure) and you can see what they look like.
Old 05-21-03, 10:17 PM

On the sub side, try the best sub I've found for the money

Excellent customer service and some hellagood subs. For other opinions, read Home Theater Forum and the Spot SVS forum

You will find they have top-notch customer service and a product that ABSOLUTELY performs.
Old 05-22-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are willing to spend around $2000 I suggest:

PSB Image 5T's (fronts)
PSB Image 2B's (rears)
PSB Image 9C (center)
SVS 16-46PCi (sub)

You can get a 100' of 12ga speaker wire for $35 and PSB's own stands for the 2B's are $99 for the pair. The total cost should be around $2000.
Old 05-26-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote to have a look at PSB.