Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Soul Caliber II playable Demo $9.99 (GC)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Soul Caliber II playable Demo $9.99 (GC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soul Caliber II playable Demo GC

Couldn't see anything posted on the site 'bout this, if it's old news forgive me.

[edit] please read my post one down from here, seems i was a bit too excited and this baby is not for resale[/b]

Today I cracked open a box while receiving at work (fye, transworld) and to my surprise there were 4 copies of a 'Nintendo Gamecube preview disc' similar to the PS2 'jampacks'

It has five playable demos including SOUL CALIBER II! Yipee, I was so excited. So I bought one, brought it home and got my fighting groove on.

You can be either Nightmare or Cassandra and you can play through 4 or 5 opponents (Raphael, Tiki, Astaroth[sp?], Voldo, and I think one more)

Also get to see the Link video!

Haven't tried the other demos yet, but SCII was killer. The video for Star Wars Rebel Strike was sick as well.

Other playable demos on the disc are Splinter Cell, Sonic DX Directors Cut, Viewtiful Joe, and Billy Hatcher.

Plus two downloadable games for the GBA, Drx. Mario and Wario Ware, inc.

WOOT!

Last edited by db27; 05-20-03 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 11:55 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
Old 05-20-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OOPS! I just noticed something VERY important that changes this somewhat.

Above the barcode it says "NOT FOR RESALE"

That can't be good! In my excitement I must have missed it, but why does it have a price attached to it in our database at work?

Weird!!

I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out, perhaps it's supposed to be a freebee. Either way, it's a SCII demo.
Old 05-20-03, 12:24 AM
Retired

Odd that it has "not for resale"

I read recently (maybe in an article someone posted here) that Nintendo was going to be putting out demo disks for sell like the PS Jam Packs in the near future.

Maybe the scrapped the idea of selling them and will just give them away like the video previe disc they put out last fall?
Old 05-20-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Funny, you could play it right now on your GC with a $20 boot disc and a $50 import of it.
Old 05-20-03, 05:50 AM

It's out? Cool! I mainly wanted it for the Viewtiful Joe demo, but I guess I'll find some time for SC II, also.

I read somewhere that it's free with the purchase of a gamecube and $9.99 otherwise.
Old 05-20-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrglass
It's out? Cool! I mainly wanted it for the Viewtiful Joe demo, but I guess I'll find some time for SC II, also.

I read somewhere that it's free with the purchase of a gamecube and $9.99 otherwise.
That's what I heard too. I'm buying for SC II, but I'll check out the other games too.

update: just got off the phone with EB and the lady said Nintendo told them to only give those away with new GC's. I really hope to get ahold of this disc somehow.

Last edited by Zodo; 05-20-03 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Funny, you could play it right now on your GC with a $20 boot disc and a $50 import of it.
True, I've never got into the whole import thing. I'm not a huge enough gamer I suppose. This game though is one I've been wanting for a long time, ever since I sold my dreamcast.
Old 05-20-03, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You work at Target? I bought a copy there yesterday for $9.99. I am almost positive they are NOT for sale. They should be included with every system that is bought after the 23rd. Nintendo will start packaging every new Gamecube with one, but until they do, those copied are suppose to be given to the new owners of a Gamecube. Very odd why it even has a $9.99 tag on it, but I assume because they will eventually be for sale in the future.
Old 05-20-03, 11:53 AM

Those are some lame characters for $10...
Old 05-20-03, 11:58 AM
Retired

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it for $10 if it didn't have the other stuff on there.
Old 05-20-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
You work at Target? I bought a copy there yesterday for $9.99. I am almost positive they are NOT for sale. They should be included with every system that is bought after the 23rd. Nintendo will start packaging every new Gamecube with one, but until they do, those copied are suppose to be given to the new owners of a Gamecube. Very odd why it even has a $9.99 tag on it, but I assume because they will eventually be for sale in the future.
Um, what? You bought a copy, but your positive you CANT buy a copy?

I guess i'll check the local target to see if they're selling these or not.
Old 05-20-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, I dont' work at target. In fact, there isn't even a target in Vermont!

I work for transworld, (fye) , the thing that puzzles me the most is the fact that there is a price for it. Typically giveaways ring up at a penny at most.

Very weird, but hey I'm glad that I got one. Gives you a nice taste of the game. The Billy Egg game was kind of fun as well, the Viewtiful Joe was garbage though.
Old 05-20-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked it up today. The videos and demos rocked; also, the first original Yuji Naka concept since Burning Rangers!
Old 05-20-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by Zodo
Um, what? You bought a copy, but your positive you CANT buy a copy?
Just because someone can do something doesn't mean it was originally intended to be done.
Old 05-20-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked this up today, its sweet! Here's the breakdown of whats on it (ripped from a pgc post):

Playable Demos
1. Soul Calibur II
2. Viewtiful Joe
3. Billy Hatcher and The Giant Egg
4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
5. Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut

Videos
1. F-Zero GX
2. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike
3. Viewtiful Joe
4. Soul Calibur II
5. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
7. Madden NFL 2004
8. NCAA Football 2004
9. ESRB Rating

Downloadable Content
1. Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
2. Dr. Mario

Opinions:

Soul Calibur II- Awesome! The graphics are very smooth and excellent! The game is very playable with the GC controller. You can only select Cassandra and Nightmare (alternate outfits are available) Choice could be better but it isn't as bad as it could be so its still pretty decent. I only played for a little bit, but you can fight against a large number of fighters that aren't selectable but i'm unsure how many. This game has pretty good music, I could never hear it that well in the arcade.

Viewtiful Joe- This is the game to get the demo for IMO, it completely rocks! Its a little strange at first and takes awhile to get used to the controls, but once you go through some of the in game tutorials its really cool. It plays great and has nice graphics and voice acting. I wasn't able to beat it yet.

Haven't had a chance to try out Billy Hatcher or the Splinter Cell demo ( I've already played the full version anyway), or try out the download content for the GBA yet. As a side note, the menu's are set up exactly like the demo they use for instore displays so I would expect it to make it in there sooner or later.

Definitely worth the $9.99.
Old 05-20-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds great. Thanks for posting those impressions Outlaw.
Old 05-20-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where have yall been picking the disc up at?
Old 05-20-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

You can do this w/o modding your system????
Old 05-20-03, 07:03 PM
Retired

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Yep, there's a boot disc called the "Freeloader" that you can buy and use to play imports. Any store that sells GC import games should have them for $20-30.
Old 05-20-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Yes. The "$20 boot disk" is CodeJunkies/Datel's 'Freeloader' disk that does the following:

* Launch and play imported GameCube games from any region

* No need to modify your console – keeps your warranty intact

* Add loads of new titles to your GameCube collection, including games that may never be released in your region

* Play US and Japanese games on a PAL GameCube

* Play PAL games on a US or Japanese GameCube

* Fast and easy to use
source: CodeJunkies Website

The 'FreeLoader' software is also included with CodeJunkies/Datel's 'Action Replay' for GameCube. Click here for IGN's review of the 'Action Replay.
Old 05-20-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Called around today nobody locally (Target, FYE, EB, or Best Buy) had any in stock. Most of them knew it was coming but said they hadn't seen it yet. Maybe it will hit in a couple more days.
Old 05-20-03, 08:46 PM
Retired

Damn, I just got back for Target. Went to pick up Live's new CD and a couple other things and didn't even think to look for this demo disk.
Old 05-21-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Stopped at Toys'r'us this morning and he knew what I was talking about went in the back and got me one, rang up for $9.99.
Old 05-21-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am def. going to have to pick this puppy up on my way home tonight.

so, if you download a demo to the GBA, can you only play it while linked up? to my knowlege there is no way to take them with you out of the house is there? (ie- no flash memory or anything)

anyone tried the GBA demos?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.