DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I'm not very good with my hands, apparently

stevevt
05-19-03, 07:42 PM
I have 512 MB of RAM (on two 256 DIMMs) that I was just trying to install.

My fingers are still stinging.

I've done this before, so there's no reason to think I should be able to do it again, but I'm really having trouble. Pretty sure I'm putting them in right-side-up. I'm also aware that it can sometimes take a decent amount of pressure to snap them in, and that I need to undo the ejecter tabs before inserting the RAM. Any other hints?

One of the issues I'm facing is that my case is pretty cramped at this point, and I don't feel like unplugging a bunch of stuff just to get a better angle.

As far as the amount of force I'm using, I really can't imagine pushing any harder without the risk of something breaking.

Perhaps I should just wait and have my small-handed slacker friend deal with this. Then again, he's the one that gave me the RAM.

zuffy
05-19-03, 09:29 PM
I usually line up the DIMM to the slot, apply pressure to one side until I hear the snap and then do the other side.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
05-20-03, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by zuffy
I usually line up the DIMM to the slot, apply pressure to one side until I hear the snap and then do the other side.

ditto. i've never had any stinging hands from installing ram.

asabase
05-20-03, 12:56 AM
It should go right in. Double check you are putting them in the right way.

fumanstan
05-20-03, 01:31 AM
DIMM slots are as easy to install as PCI or AGP cards. Move back the latches, and push in. The latches will automatically lock into place when the ram is firmly in.