Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

CTF MechAssault style! New Mechassault downloads available

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-19-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from xboxgamers.com
-First of all, there is a new auto-update that will be downloaded once you sign onto Xbox LIVE with Mechassault. It adds support for the new content, the option to immeaditely host a rematch with the same people, and to see on-screen who is talking at the moment by displaying the Gamertag.

-The Loki: The Loki is a heavy hitter with a twist: it's the heaviest mech with the Null Sig special equiptment, allowing it to go invisible for short periods of time!

The Loki's full stats:
Speed: 37 m/s
Special Components: Null Signature
Jump Jets: No

Acel: 50 Torso: 124
Max Heat: 157 Cool Rate: 18
Torso Armor: 3,929
Arm Armor: 1,061
Leg Armor: 1,127

Weapons
Energy: Pulse Laser (2)
Ballistic: Autocannon (2)
Missile: Crossbow SRM (3)

After a first short ride, I can say that I am quite pleased with this mech!

-Hellbringer: As with all Mechassault mechs, there is also a variant of the Loki: the Hellbringer. The unique thing in this case is the fact that the Hellbringer is the first mech to mount an all-new weapon, the flamer! And boy, does it look cool!

Full stats:
Speed: 30 m/s
Special Components: None
Jump Jets: Yes
Acel: 50 Torso: 124
Max Heat: 157 Cool Rate: 10
Torso Armor: 3,929
Arm Armor: 1,061
Leg Armor: 1,127

Weapons
Energy: Flamer
Ballistic: Autocannon (2)
Missile: Javelin LRM

This mech is already one of my faves! There is just something special to running around the map and flaming your opponents, all the while screaming things like "burn, witch"

-Capture the Flag: This new game mode is of course the heart of the new content. In case you lived under a stonme for the last 10 years: Capture the Flag pits to teams against each other, with each teams objective being to grab the enemies flag and get it to their own.

-Midtown: Midtown is a new urban map similar to River City, and is exclusively for use with the new CTF mode.

-Desert Storm: Desert Storm is also a new CTF-only map. What is remarkable about it though is that it is the first map to introduce desert terrain to Mechassault, so we can hope for more to come!

All things told, the new downloads are a must have for any serious Mechassault fan, and seeing how they are free I can't imagine any reason not to go online immediately and start downloading!
All I can say is it's 'bout time! Can't wait to get home and try this.
Old 05-19-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here. Gonna do this right away!
Old 05-19-03, 06:09 PM

Just got the DLC.

It's awesome but problems.

1. I can't get Optimatch to show up any game list.

2. No one can hear what I'm saying in the lobby, but once in the game they can hear me loud and clear.

Other than that, I love Desert Storm map for CTF!
Old 05-20-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Dang, completely forgot about this last night. Have to get it after work.
Old 05-20-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll dust off MA and try CTF. The default modes of online play didn't do much for me, but I think/hope that CTF will add some strategy to the gameplay.
Old 05-20-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the Desert Storm map. The gun turrets at the bases is a nice touch. The download went much smoother than last time. Good Job Microsoft.
Old 05-20-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. I bought MA this weekend and when I tried to download the new content it would go to the dashboard and say "Please insert a CD, DVD, or Xbox game.." anybody have this problem? Should I take it back for another disc?
Old 05-20-03, 09:48 AM

Take it back, just in case!
Old 05-20-03, 11:01 AM

Got the downloads last night (very quick...much better than last release). I liked the Loki and helbringer Mechs, although I wish the Flamer wasn't a projectile weapon but a close combat flamespray.

Didn't find any CTF games but maybe it was too early. I couldn't get any Optimatch games either.

If CTF doesn't improve the online play, it might be time to sell MA.
Old 05-20-03, 12:13 PM

After playing with the Loki and Hellbringer and watching others play these mechs, I found that the Loki is a much better mech than the Hellbringer.

The Hellbringer seems rather weak as far as firepower goes. I played as a Bowman in one Destruction match and a Hellbringer shot level 2 Flamethrower at me and it barely took 3 bars of life from me. This mech certainly doesn't match up with it's name.

I don't like the new way they're trying to minimize people dropping from games. I tried to join with my usual group of friends and a screen came up saying, "Cannot Connect With All Players" that kinda limits when I can play with my friends.

I figure that the pause in optimatch is testing which games you're most likely not to drop. I couldn't get quick match to come up at all last night.

I like the CTF mode alot!!
Old 05-21-03, 09:32 AM

I had a blast playing Mechassault:CTF last night! It definitly was worth the wait. I like the rematch function!!!!!

If they could only get the optimatch to work correctly.
Old 05-21-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is definitely a problem w/ optimatch. sometimes, a screen full of servers flash and then disappear. sometimes, a few will pop up. but, often, just a blank screen even if i refresh.

--
couple of dumb questions:

how do i add people to my friends list. i saw that someone "invited" me and i accepted (don't remember who it was) but couldn't figure out how to invite people.

how do i see who's winning? i hear people say that they're in the lead but i don't see the info on the screen.

is there really a dvdtalk clan?
--

right now, i'm having a blast and getting better. i don't have a favorite mech but i agree w/ the latter assessment of the hellbringer. it has a cool looking weapon, but it's pretty weak.

Last edited by young; 05-21-03 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by young
couple of dumb questions:

how do i add people to my friends list. i saw that someone "invited" me and i accepted (don't remember who it was) but couldn't figure out how to invite people.

how do i see who's winning? i hear people say that they're in the lead but i don't see the info on the screen.

is there really a dvdtalk clan?
couple of dumb answers:

Go to the the Xbox live screen at bootup (without a game disk in the machine) and you can add people to your friends list there.

Press the white button to see the score. tip: Press the black button to use Teamtalk otherwise your talking to everyone.

Not that I know of, but feel free to invite any of you DVDtalk friends to your game

On a side note, I still hate the fact that you cannot see what game a player is playing when you try to invite them.
Old 05-21-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thank, golucky, for the answers amd tips. i will be sure to add some people.

i usually play after 10pm (when the wife/kid are asleep...) so i'll look for people for some MA action tonight.
Old 05-21-03, 01:06 PM

I should be on @ 10ish central tonight....purely for CTF.
Old 05-22-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm getting a little frustrated w/ the inability of optimatch to work properly. anyone else?
Old 05-22-03, 02:33 PM

Hey young,

The easiest way to add friends is when you play MA and want a person to add to your friends list, ingame or at the MA live menu select friends and move your left joystick to the right. It will show you all the people that you've played with that night. Just select their name and send a friends request.

Note that some people have already too many people in their friends list and are not just dissin ya if they reject the friend request from you.